DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
16 March 2024 10:14:21
While researching the family history, and looking through a Google book 'History of the Dundee Banking Company', I came across this in the Memoranda of events for 1780; "From January 12th to 26th, the thermometer in the Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, showed a range of cold from 20 deg to 36 deg below the freezing point; and in Glasgow, a thermometer hung in the air, in Observatory Park, marked even 46 deg below it.

Degrees Fahrenheit, presumably (46 F below = 25 C below); those were the days!
War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
22 March 2024 07:56:06
Major outbreak of wildfires in Virginia and Maryland
https://news.sky.com/video/virginia-wow-thats-hot-man-drives-alongside-raging-wildfires-in-us-13099651 

That seems rather early in the year, even if the eastern US has has a dry winter (I think I've seen reports of that).
War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Perthite1
23 March 2024 06:36:43
Even for Perth and surrounds the last 6 months have been unusually dry. At my location just south of Perth we have recorded 22 mm of rain since October 1st and most of that came in a thunderstorm in January. Today, as with so many other days it’s clear blue skies and sunshine with a warm easterly breeze. Looking to the southern horizon the smoke from a distant bushfire in the forests to the south is burning. The fire risks around here are approaching extreme levels with how dry the vegetation is. It’s time for the rain dance I think. The rains usually arrive here in April or May as we have a Mediterranean climate. However, this does look like the driest summer since the colonials started taking records here which is the 1870s.
scillydave
23 March 2024 16:32:52
An extraordinary temperature record set last night. El Ejido in Spain recorded Europe's highest March minimum at 28.1c as the low!!! It's so far above the old record that it would also beat April's highest minimum for the whole of Europe!!
Absolutely incredible and also frankly frightening as it's a foretaste of the future.


 
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
29 March 2024 21:45:02
Ski-ing can be exciting - but this excitement is too much!
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-68695712 

High winds in Italian Alps all but tip skiers out of chair lift - video
War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Ally Pally Snowman
Retron
30 March 2024 15:16:34
Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Remarkable heat in Eastern Europe atm. Belgrade nudging 30c in March.
 


Just look at the forecast for next week - summer-type heat to our east, over a massive area.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.png 

I can't help but think we're in for another 40C sooner rather than later... we avoided it last year, but our luck won't hold forever!
Leysdown, north Kent
Ally Pally Snowman
30 March 2024 15:54:30
Originally Posted by: Retron 

Just look at the forecast for next week - summer-type heat to our east, over a massive area.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.png 

I can't help but think we're in for another 40C sooner rather than later... we avoided it last year, but our luck won't hold forever!



Could well be, heat records have been tumbling all over the world recently. 
 
Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Jiries
31 March 2024 04:39:30
Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Could well be, heat records have been tumbling all over the world recently. 
 



Yes only the Uk won’t get any heat records at all but more at record summer cold temps rain and very dull. 

One area in a village had reached 31.8 in Cyprus while Nicosia was 29.1C.  This month failed to have a decent warm spring days with full sunshine.
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
31 March 2024 10:02:04
Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Yes only the Uk won’t get any heat records at all but more at record summer cold temps rain and very dull. 
.



Not sure about record UK cold but my initial gut feeling is that much of the extreme heat will stay on the continent this summer. 
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
Retron
31 March 2024 10:25:02
Originally Posted by: GezM 

Not sure about record UK cold but my initial gut feeling is that much of the extreme heat will stay on the continent this summer. 


I really hope it does, but (as with snow down here) we're aiming for a smaller bullseye each year - in this case, to avoid 35+ temperatures.

We've now had 15 months since the last below-average (61-90) month, and there were 18 months before that... the sheer scale of the warmth these days is incredible.
Leysdown, north Kent
Jiries
31 March 2024 12:56:23
Originally Posted by: Retron 

I really hope it does, but (as with snow down here) we're aiming for a smaller bullseye each year - in this case, to avoid 35+ temperatures.

We've now had 15 months since the last below-average (61-90) month, and there were 18 months before that... the sheer scale of the warmth these days is incredible.



In my book it been below average due to many colder day time in Spring and summer but due to false night time temps will be ignored.  I more consider the day time feeling as were awake, at night no point to take note, we sleeping most of the time.  UK is heading to Faroes Island climate, period.  Below aveage max, below average sunshine and extreme above average unwelcome rainfall that we having now than what we get in 61/90.averages.

33.1C recorded so far in Atheniou, Cyprus one of the village hot spot.  Interesting to read about it Death Valley had a very cool late March day at 19C with rain.  Once agin very interesting stats.

 
The Beast from the East
31 March 2024 13:16:49
Originally Posted by: Retron 

I really hope it does, but (as with snow down here) we're aiming for a smaller bullseye each year - in this case, to avoid 35+ temperatures.

We've now had 15 months since the last below-average (61-90) month, and there were 18 months before that... the sheer scale of the warmth these days is incredible.



But the payoff is of course rain and we've had record amounts since that heatwave in the summer of 22.

I just want a dry period. Doesnt look like thats possible for the foreseable
 
"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
ozone_aurora
31 March 2024 17:57:18
Originally Posted by: Jiries 

In my book it been below average due to many colder day time in Spring and summer but due to false night time temps will be ignored.  I more consider the day time feeling as were awake, at night no point to take note, we sleeping most of the time.  UK is heading to Faroes Island climate, period.  Below aveage max, below average sunshine and extreme above average unwelcome rainfall that we having now than what we get in 61/90.averages.

33.1C recorded so far in Atheniou, Cyprus one of the village hot spot.  Interesting to read about it Death Valley had a very cool late March day at 19C with rain.  Once agin very interesting stats.

 


There seems to be greater contrast between increasingly hot continental interior and cool, wet western/northwestern coastal margins now. I too think the UK's climate will become increasingly cool and dank, more like the Aleutians, or, as you've said, the Faroes. Eastern Europe and western Russia will become hotter and hotter, more like Arkansas or Oklahoma (in Summer).
Retron
01 April 2024 05:49:15
Originally Posted by: ozone_aurora 

I too think the UK's climate will become increasingly cool and dank,.


Not a chance IMO. Even in the last 30 years we've seen a massive warming trend across all seasons - to the point where a flurry of snow is now newsworthy in the south.

I expect in another 30 years (even though I'll be dead by then) we'll have something like a murky, wet, mild climate in winter and a warm, relatively dry climate in summer, albeit with more in the way of convective rain than we have now. Temperatures almost certainly won't be lower than they are now!

Northern England north may just cling onto what we're currently seeing down here in Kent - but as an article on the Beeb said a couple of months back, Edinburgh and Cumbria now have the same amount of frost that Kent and Sussex did 50 years ago. That trend isn't likely to reverse!

EDIT: I also expect 40 to be reached at least as often as 35 is now, and for most summers to reach 35 somewhere in the south/Midlands. As ever, the "area under the curve" effect means this will have a much bigger effect than the numbers suggest!
 
Leysdown, north Kent
Roger Parsons
02 April 2024 02:41:21
New Scientist piece... 29 March.
"A global analysis of heatwaves over a span of 40 years shows that they are getting more frequent, moving slower and lasting longer."
Heatwaves now last much longer than they did in the 1980s
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2424847-heatwaves-now-last-much-longer-than-they-did-in-the-1980s/ 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
The Beast from the East
05 April 2024 14:05:50
Cant find the old Cyclone thread so will just put it here

TWEET. Members enable at bottom of page

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
05 April 2024 15:44:55
Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

Cant find the old Cyclone thread so will just put it here

TWEET. Members enable at bottom of page



If this materialises it will be interesting to see its impact on the UK weather. Certainly SSTs are consistently above average in the North Atlantic these days. It wouldn't surprise me if this was part of the reason for our 18 month warm and wet period. Personally I'm not expecting any prolonged dry period this summer but I can't see any reason why temperatures won't remain trending above normal. 
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
06 April 2024 16:52:33
Reports of serious flooding in Sydney offer some interest
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-68748796 

But it seems to have been a rather local event with >200mm confined to a small area
http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/awap/rain/index.jsp?colour=colour&time=latest&step=0&map=totals&period=week&area=ns 
War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
06 April 2024 16:56:00
Flooding on the Russia Kazakhstan border
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68746276 

A weather, rather than climate event IMO. The unusually warm weather in that area (see Model Output thread) has promoted a more-rapid-than-usual thaw.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Users browsing this topic

    Ads