Stormchaser
03 July 2011 17:08:39

I doubt WO have anything much more reliable than CFS; none of it is that good at the range we're talking about. Fact is, there are so many possibilities for August that doing a forecast now is still rather pointless if you ask me

Next week might feel a bit like Autumn in the north but less so in the south. Thereafter it looks like it could well be better as high pressure gets in on the act more, which is something I think WO should have mentioned as a possibility.

Regarding getting better all the time, if you mean of late, then conditions during the last week 10 days have generally been quite a lot better than much of June was. If you mean in the future, well thats a matter of opinion... what I'm saying is that there is some evidence to say that it might improve. I prefer to look at what might be nicer rather than what might be worse. Perhaps you are the same, only what you see as 'nice' is not what I see to be such

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Saint Snow
04 July 2011 10:51:07

It's been a great 10 days in these parts. No rain and lots of sun. The best temps have broadly managed to happen at the weekends. Went to two parties over the weekend, both had perfect weather.

That's all I want from a summer - dry, sunny and settled. I like temps into the high 20's, but could happily live with 21's if it's settled.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Jiries
04 July 2011 16:35:54

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

It's been a great 10 days in these parts. No rain and lots of sun. The best temps have broadly managed to happen at the weekends. Went to two parties over the weekend, both had perfect weather.

That's all I want from a summer - dry, sunny and settled. I like temps into the high 20's, but could happily live with 21's if it's settled.

Agreed and been happy with 28.9C recorded today and 27.7C yesterday so I didn't feel much different from typical average summery 28-30C in Oak Lawn which is normal for July there.   Only thing that I like to see warmth here to be under full sunshine than cloudy pm.  I see the landscape look in sorry state and dreadful than in April and May conditions when it was nice, neat green and semi-parched areas, now is overgrown by weeds than grass.

Have to face this dreadful killer summer showers this week but hopefully not to cop it all like in June which my area was suffered badly by getting hit every single one which wasn't normal for a sheltered areas, should be more on the coasts like snow showers does during winter months.

Younger Dryas
05 July 2011 07:43:42

The METO June anomaly maps are up, which are interesting due to the debate on rainfall. Rainfall was above average across the south and particularly the southeast and also in Wales, Northern Ireland and most of Scotland. The north of Scotland and the rest of England had only average or below average rainfall however (I still use 61-90 as my base period, but you can get the 71-00 anomaly on the METO site and it isn't very different):

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2011/6/2011_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1961-1990.gif

Stormchaser
05 July 2011 09:19:51

That chart YD posted shows how extreme my shower dodging experience was during June this year. I finished with a bit less than 3/4 of my average rainfall, yet the local average is at least 150% of the norm!

Yet local rivers barely rose at all during June and are now falling again. The grass has been greener for a while though. Still, it was a pathetic June on many levels.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
nouska
05 July 2011 09:57:31

I'm going to post some images of the NH, using the stored image facility that Meteociel provide - hope that is OK with mods. IMO tells a lot about where this summer is going.

Firstly, a good example of the Arctic dipole anomaly which can lead to cold uppers for the mid latitudes of western Europe. Yup, a cut off upper low, dead centre on the UK !!

Move on ten days and the Arctic is looking more 'normal' but there is still an upper cold pool over the UK -it's even got the cheek to extend down here < Jiries mode on>

Images courtesy of Meteociel  http://www.meteociel.fr/

Charmhills
05 July 2011 10:26:31

Originally Posted by: Younger Dryas 

The METO June anomaly maps are up, which are interesting due to the debate on rainfall. Rainfall was above average across the south and particularly the southeast and also in Wales, Northern Ireland and most of Scotland. The north of Scotland and the rest of England had only average or below average rainfall however (I still use 61-90 as my base period, but you can get the 71-00 anomaly on the METO site and it isn't very different):

Below average rainfall for the East Midlands again!

Loughborough, EM.

Knowledge is power, ignorance is weakness.

Duane.
Younger Dryas
05 July 2011 10:53:02

Originally Posted by: Charmhills 

Yep, I was expecting this from hearing about the number of days on which the showers failed to develop in your area

Jiries
05 July 2011 11:38:41

Originally Posted by: Charmhills 

Yep, I was expecting this from hearing about the number of days on which the showers failed to develop in your area

Yes very lucky to miss them and the more you miss rain showers the better is.  Completely waste of time and useless in summer. Can see that my area was under the dark blue zone that recorded well above average rainfall that why it so soggy here and taking a long time to recover back to Spring dryness levels.

Essan
05 July 2011 13:59:30

The METO June anomaly maps are up

No problems finding the Vale of Evesham on that map!

Just wondering what the 6 month anomaly map would look like.  Last year, overall, the first 6 montsh were the driest in England for 80 years.   This year, some places have been a lot drier .....

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Matty H
  • Matty H
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
05 July 2011 16:11:20
Guys, yet another reminder, LINKS ONLY, NOT CHARTS. Please can you edit the above posts. 😄
Younger Dryas
05 July 2011 16:31:21

Originally Posted by: Matty H 

Guys, yet another reminder, LINKS ONLY, NOT CHARTS. Please can you edit the above posts. 😄

I thought that this one might be OK as it wasn't a model output. However, I'll go and change it

idj20
05 July 2011 16:37:16

East Kent had 150% of the average rainfall in June? I won't question the official stats and readings, but somehow it doesn't seem like that.

Have totaled up rainfall amounts I've picked up on my rain gauge for last month and it came to 39.5 mm, that's actually quite a respectable amount!

So why is my lawn - and grass areas around me - all turning brown again right now?

Folkestone Harbour. 
Sevendust
05 July 2011 19:34:19

Originally Posted by: idj20 

East Kent had 150% of the average rainfall in June? I won't question the official stats and readings, but somehow it doesn't seem like that.

Have totaled up rainfall amounts I've picked up on my rain gauge for last month and it came to 39.5 mm, that's actually quite a respectable amount!

So why is my lawn - and grass areas around me - all turning brown again right now?

Badger urine?

Essan
05 July 2011 20:39:53

Originally Posted by: idj20 

You had rain!!!!!  Obvious.  Otherwise it'd have been brown for months .....

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
patricia
06 July 2011 11:41:06

We recorded 68.1mm of rain during June thank goodness after only 32.7mm during March, April and May.

I am extreamely happy to see the return of our typical british summers, (as they should be)  long may the reign     

heatandsnow
06 July 2011 16:20:05

Originally Posted by: patricia 

We recorded 68.1mm of rain during June thank goodness after only 32.7mm during March, April and May.

I am extreamely happy to see the return of our typical british summers, (as they should be)  long may the reign     

Should that be 'long may they RAIN'

patricia
07 July 2011 08:07:52

Originally Posted by: heatandsnow 

Should that be 'long may they RAIN'

Most definately  

Sevendust
07 July 2011 10:22:10

Great news if you're not on holiday with kids in the UK

DTHFCJ
10 July 2011 10:46:22

so the topsy turvy summer continues....i wonder if august will bring us the goods?..i wonder if Spurs will win the prem league