PFCSCOTTY
Sunday, January 27, 2019 10:28:31 PM

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

LOL

Just watching the 21:55 telling what the weather will be like tomorrow ( Sunday ) poor , fancy broadcasting Saturday evenings forecast

 

i guess it’s no different than the Met office LRF using the models of 2 or 3 days ago as they continue to do on s daily basis. 

tallyho_83
Sunday, January 27, 2019 10:34:51 PM
Well the local spotlight weather is best and mentioned snow down to lower levels Tuesday night for SW but then saw the forecast by Nick Miller who seemed very vague about Tuesday's snow but at least he has the right day and time stamp and or isn't a pre recorded forecast like previous weather presenter Alina Jenkins! But there is still a lot of uncertainty re the snow event for the south on Tuesday so it seems! What is certain in Nick Millers forecast is that it will not turn less cold later this week as previously forecast.
Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)

---------------------------------------

Sean Moon

Magical Moon

www.magical-moon.com



Gandalf The White
Sunday, January 27, 2019 10:45:28 PM

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Well the local spotlight weather is best and mentioned snow down to lower levels Tuesday night for SW but then saw the forecast by Nick Miller who seemed very vague about Tuesday's snow but at least he has the right day and time stamp and or isn't a pre recorded forecast like previous weather presenter Alina Jenkins! But there is still a lot of uncertainty re the snow event for the south on Tuesday so it seems! What is certain in Nick Millers forecast is that it will not turn less cold later this week as previously forecast.

He wasn't remotely vague about Tuesday.  He said snow for many; he also said there was the prospect of further snow later on the week.

 


Location: South Cambridgeshire

130 metres ASL

52.0N 0.1E



tallyho_83
Monday, January 28, 2019 12:53:26 AM

Interesting forecast from AccuWEATHER:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/another-winter-storm-to-bring-widespread-rain-snow-to-western-europe/70007263

Another winter storm to bring widespread rain, snow to western Europe


Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)

---------------------------------------

Sean Moon

Magical Moon

www.magical-moon.com



cultman1
Monday, January 28, 2019 8:59:29 AM
Radio 4 Weather for the week ahead this morning at 6am advised apart from a cold week winds will blow in from the East from Friday? I was under the impression the weather was likely to warm up slightly at the end of the week with the winds potentially from a WSW quarter?

Arcus
Monday, January 28, 2019 9:05:50 AM

Originally Posted by: cultman1 

Radio 4 Weather for the week ahead this morning at 6am advised apart from a cold week winds will blow in from the East from Friday? I was under the impression the weather was likely to warm up slightly at the end of the week with the winds potentially from a WSW quarter?


Seems about right to me as a forecast, looking at UKMO 00z for example:

 


Ben,

Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire

30m asl

She stayed with me until she moved to Notting Hill, She said it was the place she needs to be

Where the cocaine is fair trade, and frequently displayed, is the Buena Vista Social Club CD

Rob K
Monday, January 28, 2019 9:18:36 AM

Originally Posted by: Stolen Snowman 

 

How meaningful though is this? After all it’s just a forecast and the weather will do what it will.

I’ve often wondered of the point of confidence percentages if they’re not verified. There may be some sort of metric that checks back on the number of times the computer was correct (and you’d assume on average 7 out of 10 times in this scenario). But how do you define it. Or is it no better than a ‘gut’ feeling as in ‘we think there’s a higher likelihood of this because the computer says so!’ 

Makes you think.

I would assume the 70% figure relates to clustering of long-range modelling, eg 70% of the perturbations went for a cold scenario.


Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Stolen Snowman
Monday, January 28, 2019 10:09:55 AM

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

 

I would assume the 70% figure relates to clustering of long-range modelling, eg 70% of the perturbations went for a cold scenario.

Yes that makes sense.

Easy though to fall into the trap of thinking that 70% of the time this forecast is correct instead. 


Statistics prove that the period just after records began witnessed some of the most extreme weather ever recorded. Records were being broken on a frequency that has not been repeated since.

Posting live from a pub somewhere in Burton upon Trent

tallyho_83
Monday, January 28, 2019 10:11:37 AM

Looks like mostly rain tomorrow for Exeter and then a rapid change to snow around 3pm looking at that large white blob as forecast by BBC but by 6pm the precipitation would have already cleared but looks like it may linger in central and south eastern areas: - He said accumulations of 2-5cms even at lower levels. However, It depends how heavy precipitation will be for any evaporative cooling at 1500z.

Looks like the south east is where the snow will be the most significant with cold air to the north from another font colliding with the low coming in from the west moving across all of southern England! So looks like a brief transient snow event in Devon between 1500 and 1800 hours but snow lasting perhaps between 1800 and 12:00 am in many parts of the central southern and south eastern areas.

Looks like the cold air has already under cut that warmer sector as it's already snowing as far south as Plymouth by 1500 when most of N.E Devon and East Devon, south SOmerset and west Dorset still sees rain - I will keep you all updated here in Devon tomorrow as the band of snow (if any) from same frontal system will hit Devon first.

However, BBC graphics (as always) are really poor. So will check Met Office rainfall radar,.


Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)

---------------------------------------

Sean Moon

Magical Moon

www.magical-moon.com



Gandalf The White
Monday, January 28, 2019 10:49:39 AM

Originally Posted by: cultman1 

Radio 4 Weather for the week ahead this morning at 6am advised apart from a cold week winds will blow in from the East from Friday? I was under the impression the weather was likely to warm up slightly at the end of the week with the winds potentially from a WSW quarter?


That's because 2-3 days ago the computer models were suggesting the low pressure moving in later in the week would take a more northerly track and stall to our NW, allowing less cold air to move across. The models now have that LP sliding south of the UK, keeping us on the cold side of the jetstream.  Whether that's just a delay of the arrival of more of an Atlantic influence or heralds a continuation of cold weather is the question - and lies at the heart of the debate about the Met Office longer range outlook.


Location: South Cambridgeshire

130 metres ASL

52.0N 0.1E



Brian Gaze
Monday, January 28, 2019 10:51:29 AM

Originally Posted by: Stolen Snowman 

 

Yes that makes sense.

Easy though to fall into the trap of thinking that 70% of the time this forecast is correct instead. 

That's not correct. Michael found the article and posted in the MO thread. The quote is very specific:

"He estimates a 70% chance of a severe cold spell around the end of January/early February."

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1079493#post1079493

 


Brian Gaze

Berkhamsted

TWO Buzz - get the latest news and views 

"I'm not socialist, I know that. I don't believe in sharing my money." - Gary Numan

tallyho_83
Monday, January 28, 2019 2:32:51 PM

Forgot to share the Weather online monthly outlook:

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/reports/month-ahead.htm


Last months update - They did mention the easterly to occur now but this failed as you know so here's to the easterly during the 2nd week of Feb then!? *8/2/19 - 14/2/19*)


Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)

---------------------------------------

Sean Moon

Magical Moon

www.magical-moon.com



Downpour
Monday, January 28, 2019 2:34:58 PM

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Looks like mostly rain tomorrow for Exeter and then a rapid change to snow around 3pm looking at that large white blob as forecast by BBC but by 6pm the precipitation would have already cleared but looks like it may linger in central and south eastern areas: - He said accumulations of 2-5cms even at lower levels. However, It depends how heavy precipitation will be for any evaporative cooling at 1500z.

Looks like the south east is where the snow will be the most significant with cold air to the north from another font colliding with the low coming in from the west moving across all of southern England! So looks like a brief transient snow event in Devon between 1500 and 1800 hours but snow lasting perhaps between 1800 and 12:00 am in many parts of the central southern and south eastern areas.

Looks like the cold air has already under cut that warmer sector as it's already snowing as far south as Plymouth by 1500 when most of N.E Devon and East Devon, south SOmerset and west Dorset still sees rain - I will keep you all updated here in Devon tomorrow as the band of snow (if any) from same frontal system will hit Devon first.

However, BBC graphics (as always) are really poor. So will check Met Office rainfall radar,.

 

1428 BBC News had quite a long piece on – South East and south Midlands the sweet spot with all-snow events on both Tuesday evening and Thursday – but stressed uncertainty. 


Chingford

London E4

147ft

wingman
Monday, January 28, 2019 3:58:16 PM
METO long ranger updated, still a cold/very cold outlook.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast 

moomin75
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:02:49 AM
The stupidity of some of these forecasters really annoys me. BBC local radio in my area this morning, Bee Tucker comes on and says, we are waking up to no frost today as temperatures are only just below freezing? Say what? Listen to what you are saying!!! Temps below freezing = frost. My window was very iced up on my car. Think before you speak!!!
Witney, Oxfordshire

100m ASL

Gooner
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:23:49 AM

Originally Posted by: moomin75 

The stupidity of some of these forecasters really annoys me. BBC local radio in my area this morning, Bee Tucker comes on and says, we are waking up to no frost today as temperatures are only just below freezing? Say what? Listen to what you are saying!!! Temps below freezing = frost. My window was very iced up on my car. Think before you speak!!!

Local Radio is great , the other day they said " it will feel windy " 


Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun



Marcus

Banbury

North Oxfordshire

378 feet A S L



Rob K
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:58:44 AM

Originally Posted by: moomin75 

The stupidity of some of these forecasters really annoys me. BBC local radio in my area this morning, Bee Tucker comes on and says, we are waking up to no frost today as temperatures are only just below freezing? Say what? Listen to what you are saying!!! Temps below freezing = frost. My window was very iced up on my car. Think before you speak!!!

Just because it is below zero doesn’t always mean you will get visible frost. If the air is dry then surfaces still might not reach the dew point and so no frost. (It’s like that here this morning, a tiny bit of white in places on the grass but no frost on cars etc.)

Sounds like they were talking rubbish though!

 

 


Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Gooner
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:02:30 AM

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

 

Just because it is below zero doesn’t always mean you will get visible frost. If the air is dry then surfaces still might not reach the dew point and so no frost. (It’s like that here this morning, a tiny bit of white in places on the grass but no frost on cars etc.)

The point is she said no frost , you are correct in dry air frost sometimes isn't visible but K is pointing out how silly her comment sounds 


Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun



Marcus

Banbury

North Oxfordshire

378 feet A S L



Gavin D
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:20:48 AM

CPF January update

February to April

Temperature summary

For February and February-March-April as a whole, below-average temperatures are more likely than above-average temperatures. The likelihood of impacts from cold weather is greater than normal, particularly earlier in the 3-month period. Overall, the probability that the UK-average temperature for February-March-April will fall into the coldest of our five categories is 25%, and the probability that it will fall into the warmest of our five categories is around 15% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories is 20%).

Full forecast: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/public-sector/forecast-temp-fma-v1.pdf

Precipitation summary

For February and February-March-April as a whole, above-average precipitation is more probable than below-average precipitation. The probability that UK-average precipitation for February-March-April will fall into the driest of our five categories is 15% and the probability that it will fall into the wettest of our five categories is around 25% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories is 20%).

Full forecast: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/public-sector/forecast-precip-fma-v1.pdf

Rob K
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:03:45 AM
Tonight's warning for the southeast has been brought forward and watered down, as suggested. Now focusing more on the eastern parts of the region and perhaps high ground of Surrey, Sussex and Kent

Updated: 10:49 on Tue 29 Jan 2019 GMT

Reason for update

The start time of the warning has been brought forward to cater for some snowfall during peak travel times Tuesday evening and the expected amounts of snow have been reduced.

A band of rain pushing east across parts of England is likely to turn to snow during Tuesday evening, with snow continuing into Wednesday. Accumulations of 1-3 cm are possible, particularly over parts of East Anglia and the high ground of Surrey, Sussex & Kent, with accumulations of 5 cm in places. As this clears, ice is likely to form on some surfaces on Wednesday morning.


Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Users browsing this topic