Hungry Tiger
07 September 2021 13:31:39

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 


Been quite the run of days for CET projections. For a while there were some bonkers GFS runs giving me estimates of more than 18.0°C for the middle days of the month. Not for the daily returns, the mean-to-date! Would be record high for that point in the month.


Anyway, since then GFS has freshened up the weekend and has only intermittent very warm weather thereafter, so CET estimates aren't so eye-watering. They're still notably high though, owing to the impressive very warm / hot spell we're currently in and a lack of sustained switch to a cool pattern in most runs.


ECM was going for warmer but more unsettled outcomes than GFS yesterday but has moved close to it today. Sunday morning could feel decidedly cool as some polar maritime air moves though on a light breeze.


It soon warms up the following week, though. Generally I'm not seeing anything that would force a sustainably cool or very cool pattern to establish within the next fortnight. I'm starting to suspect I may have estimated too low for this month - but then again, I thought that about halfway through last month and...!  




Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.


ARTzeman
08 September 2021 10:22:33

Met Office Hadley       17.4c      Anomaly     2.7c


Metcheck                    16.50c    Anomaly     2.8c


Netweather                 17.36c    Anomaly     3.66c


Peasedown St John    17.51c    Anomaly     3.23c. 






Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
09 September 2021 10:51:21

Met Office Hadley         18.0c       Anomaly      3.3c provisional to 8th


Metcheck                      17.07c     Anomaly      3.34c


Netweather                   17.86c     Anomaly      4.17c


Peasedown St John      17.48c     Anomaly      3.2c.   






Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bolty
09 September 2021 15:36:58
Still early days, but could this be another instance where September is warmer than the August before it? The last time it happened was in 2014: August was 14.9 and September was 15.1.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Bertwhistle
09 September 2021 17:59:23

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Still early days, but could this be another instance where September is warmer than the August before it? The last time it happened was in 2014: August was 14.9 and September was 15.1.


I've popped through some of the hot early Septembers and I can't see one since 1868 with a hotter first 8 days- I'm sure someone else can spot one- mean daily CET that is. As we saw early in the month it can change at the drop of a hat though.


Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
lanky
09 September 2021 18:53:57

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 


 


I've popped through some of the hot early Septembers and I can't see one since 1868 with a hotter first 8 days- I'm sure someone else can spot one- mean daily CET that is. As we saw early in the month it can change at the drop of a hat though.



HadCET has 17.95C for the 1st 8 days of this month as provisional data


When I analysed my Access DB for daily CET Mean I got some higher ones for Sept1-8


2005 17.96


1999 17.98


1795 18.01


1898 18.35


1906 18.68


(Haven't desk checked them though !)


But this last week has been up there (but if you look at the September predictions you might see why I have not quite treated it like the pleasant surprise it is )


 


Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Bertwhistle
10 September 2021 07:01:25

Originally Posted by: lanky 


 


HadCET has 17.95C for the 1st 8 days of this month as provisional data


When I analysed my Access DB for daily CET Mean I got some higher ones for Sept1-8


2005 17.96


1999 17.98


1795 18.01


1898 18.35


1906 18.68


(Haven't desk checked them though !)


But this last week has been up there (but if you look at the September predictions you might see why I have not quite treated it like the pleasant surprise it is )


 



I think my maths, eyesight or ability to read have gone Martin (or more probably, all three!)



Edit: just looked at 1906 again and realised I was scanning down the August column in Hadley- it was a near but not quite! Need to go back now as I think I may have done that for the others. Double


Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
ARTzeman
10 September 2021 10:19:02

Met Office Hadley       18.1c     Anomaly       3.6c provisional to 9th


Metcheck                    17.21c   Anomaly       3.49c


Netweather                 17.99c   Anomaly       4.3c


Peasedown St John    17.52c   Anomaly       3.24c.  






Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 September 2021 06:33:07

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

 


I think my maths, eyesight or ability to read have gone Martin (or more probably, all three!)



Edit: just looked at 1906 again and realised I was scanning down the August column in Hadley- it was a near but not quite! Need to go back now as I think I may have done that for the others. Double


You can be forgiven Bertie and the first ten days may prove to be a record.  The mild, muggy nights are doing me no favours with sleeping. At this rate, we’ll have all gone too low with our predictions. 


Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
springsunshine
11 September 2021 08:51:58

Looking like a 16c+ CET is pretty much nailed on now.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 September 2021 09:21:17

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 


Looking like a 16c+ CET is pretty much nailed on now.


The outlook certainly isn’t cold enough to lower it much in the foreseeable.  It’s been a strange year altogether.  Scotland and Ireland have had record highs and we in the middle have had a lovely summer but I know some in the the South haven’t done too well. 


Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Bertwhistle
11 September 2021 09:23:58

Originally Posted by: Caz 


You can be forgiven Bertie and the first ten days may prove to be a record.  The mild, muggy nights are doing me no favours with sleeping. At this rate, we’ll have all gone too low with our predictions. 



I believe you are right Caz- although the usual adjustment will no doubt knock half a degree off. Last night continued the run of warm nights- a 3rd consecutive with a min > 16C so we might still be around the 18C mark- I'll check Art's update later. But we're not at half month yet and after the model swing at month's start, I wouldn't be surprised at anything!


Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gavin P
11 September 2021 10:19:21

Gosh, CET actually went UP another 0.1C yesterday! 


I really am starting to wonder if a new record 17C CET September could be possible?


Would love an update from our guru GW soon! 


Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Hungry Tiger
11 September 2021 10:39:34

Originally Posted by: Gavin P 


Gosh, CET actually went UP another 0.1C yesterday! 


I really am starting to wonder if a new record 17C CET September could be possible?


Would love an update from our guru GW soon! 



To do that would take some meaty hot days in the last week of the month. Don't forget that by the 21st we're in the autumn solstice and the days are drawing in at quite a rate.


 


Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.


ARTzeman
11 September 2021 10:53:54

Met Ofice Hadley        18.2c       Anomaly      3.7c  provisional to 10th


Metcheck                    17.32c     Anomaly      3.60c


Netweather                 18.05c     Anomaly      4.36c


Peasedown St John    17.53c     Anomaly      3.27c.       






Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 September 2021 12:04:35

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 


 


To do that would take some meaty hot days in the last week of the month. Don't forget that by the 21st we're in the autumn solstice and the days are drawing in at quite a rate.


 


Ahh but (there has to be one ) the way the nights have been holding onto warmth, their length will make little difference. 


Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Stormchaser
11 September 2021 19:55:25

Provisional CET for 1st-10th was right up against the record high for the period (1898): https://twitter.com/peacockreports/status/1436777893766569988


Actual is probably two or three tenths lower, mind.



Still, this is proving to be a staggeringly warm month. Far more so than the models were indicating as of August's end. Good of GW to apply penalties for entries after 1st. Even on 1st there was arguably some advantage so I wish I'd held on now!


Anyway, a curious feature of this month has been GFS periodically producing a batch of runs featuring extraordinary warm spells. The 06z of today went full late Sep 2011 on us, while the 12z is more laidback but, through sheer persistence of very warm days and mild nights, gives an even higher CET estimate to 27th (dashed line on the 2nd graph in the tweet).


Usually I'd toss them aside as crazed ravings, but here's the thing - GFS spotted the big plume of early this week ahead of all the other models. Not consistently, by any means, but then, it's not being consistent this time around either.


So maybe it's onto something.


There is one key difference, though. Before this week's hot spell, ECM was bringing changeable westerlies. Currently, it has an increasingly cool easterly (from a warm starting position in the middle of next week). So, if GFS' last success was bias-related, it might not enjoy such good fortune this time.


I have a bit of a conflict of mind on the matter. On the one hand, I could do with the CET coming right down to my prediction for obvious reasons. On the other, I enjoy exceptional warmth a great deal when it happens in spring or autumn, especially March-April or September-October. I'm also a big fan of impressive monthly stats. The warmest September for over 100 years, let alone on record, would be amazing to reflect on.


If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected]

https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2023's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.2°C 9th Sep (...!) | T-Min: -7.1°C 22nd & 23rd Jan | Wettest Day: 25.9mm 2nd Nov | Ice Days: 1 (2nd Dec -1.3°C in freezing fog)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Bertwhistle
11 September 2021 20:24:56

Just like to say that my prediction on 31st August was purely and totally based on nothing other than a funny feeling- it just got lucky, equal to the many unlucky ones previously!


Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Bolty
11 September 2021 20:25:55
Everyone may have gone too low at this rate!
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
ARTzeman
12 September 2021 10:18:12

Met Office Hadley        18.2c       Anomaly     3.7c provisional to 11th


Metcheck                     17.2c       Anomaly      3.48c


Netweather                  18.04c     Anomaly      4.35c


Peasedown St John     17.17c     Anomaly      2.59c.  






Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Users browsing this topic

    Ads