idj20
02 April 2017 09:17:41

Heard the first shouty drunk couple of the season flutter by my house yesterday afternoon, a sign that Spring is properly here.

On a serious note, the Rowan tree at the front of my house are starting to sprout leaves and that's unusually early given how the poor tree does get buffered about by stormy winds and salty sea air in the long winter (or rather, Autumn) season.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Crepuscular Ray
02 April 2017 11:26:03
Drove from Edinburgh to Nottingham yesterday. As usual, a big difference in Spring growth. Not much green evident yet in southern Scotland but come south of Newcastle trees and hedges are greening up. South of Nottingham most trees are out or buds opening.
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
ARTzeman
03 April 2017 08:57:28

Bluebell buds be blooming big beauties.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Skreever
04 April 2017 22:41:48
First lambs now bouncing around in the surrounding countryside.
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
06 April 2017 06:14:22

Hawthorn (May) in flower on selected trees Tues 4/4/17.

Time for the old argument about "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" - the month or the flower? Nevertheless,I don't think I've seen may in flower this early before.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
idj20
06 April 2017 17:04:44

After seeing zero rain being forecast over the next 9 days in the most recent model run, I think it's going to be only a matter of days before the local water authorities start talking about restrictions.

Folkestone Harbour. 
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
07 April 2017 13:26:23

Originally Posted by: idj20 

After seeing zero rain being forecast over the next 9 days in the most recent model run, I think it's going to be only a matter of days before the local water authorities start talking about restrictions.

I was talking to my friends at the West Dean Gardens yesterday and trying to engage them on this. They didn't seem too excited, soil a bit on the dry side, well levels unusually low in Feb have recovered somewhat.

But I'm with you, Ian, I think they were being optimistic.

Chichester 12m asl
Crepuscular Ray
07 April 2017 18:23:13
Not too many signs up here yet. Think we need to lose the nagging West wind and get a bit of sun!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
ARTzeman
08 April 2017 08:20:02

Springing  into a summers day today. Night will be 10c. .....

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
bradders
08 April 2017 08:36:51

Trimmed our hawthorn hedge last Monday 3rd April. I keep a record of the date of the first cut each year and it`s the earliest date I`ve had to trim it. 

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
P+ve Giant
08 April 2017 19:14:56

The Apricot tree has finished blooming and looks to have set some fruit, the plum trees have been in heavy bloom for a week or so and it looks to be a good fruit-set. The apple trees will be in bloom in a week or so. Been no air frost worries so far but some concern for the apple blossoms when they come out   

John.
picturesareme
08 April 2017 23:44:08

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Springing  into a summers day today. Night will be 10c. .....

10C - neither cold or mild.

Bolty
09 April 2017 09:00:24
The blossoms are blooming around here now. A full four weeks earlier than last year. Just shows how consistently mild it has been since mid-February.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
18 April 2017 15:58:00

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Tuesday 28th - ash trees in flower on the Sussex/Surrey border, no sign of life on nearby oaks.

So we shall have a soak?

DEspite this, in another part of Sussex, the oaks are powering ahead and leaving the ash behind. So soak or splash? Or maybe both in different places i.e. lots of interesting covective weather soaking some and sparing others

Chichester 12m asl