stophe
05 January 2014 18:50:58

Originally Posted by: Sevendust 

Originally Posted by: VIRTUAL STORMCHASER 

Someone commented the other day on a similar thread that Lightning is stronger/more dangerous in the winter months? Cannot seemcto find it now, and to see if anyone responded to that comment other than me......
If its lost forever, can anyone confirm/deny the info on Lightning being stronger/more dangerous in the winter months than at other times of the year??
Cheers
VSC

Theres a view that winter storms produce a higher frequency of CG strikes, sometimes in single strike cells. I've witnessed a few of these and know of some "megabolt" discharges that are way more voltage loaded than normal strikes and highly destructive. Someone like Neil or Ben may have more info than me though

Meanwhile we are moving into a very interesting 24 hours or so with a lot of energy and steep temperature profiles which look likely to lead to a threat of some violent storms tomorrow. There are warnings from ESTOFEX and elsewhere on FB currently.

Just noticed some intense rain reaching Cornwall which has had some sferics recently

When we had the lightning and hailstones the other day the metoffice weather warnings did highlight the danger of ground strikes being destructive to propety.So i think there is some truth in the winter thunderstorms producing more CG strikes.

Looking at the last radar a line of heavy rain sweeping east.

IanT
  • IanT
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2014 19:29:37

Kaboom! Epic flash and (almost) instantaneous crash here just outside Woking...

Woking, Surrey. 40m asl.
Arcus
05 January 2014 19:55:26

Someone commented the other day on a similar thread that Lightning is stronger/more dangerous in the winter months? Cannot seemcto find it now, and to see if anyone responded to that comment other than me......
If its lost forever, can anyone confirm/deny the info on Lightning being stronger/more dangerous in the winter months than at other times of the year??
Cheers
VSC

Theres a view that winter storms produce a higher frequency of CG strikes, sometimes in single strike cells. I've witnessed a few of these and know of some "megabolt" discharges that are way more voltage loaded than normal strikes and highly destructive. Someone like Neil or Ben may have more info than me though

Meanwhile we are moving into a very interesting 24 hours or so with a lot of energy and steep temperature profiles which look likely to lead to a threat of some violent storms tomorrow. There are warnings from ESTOFEX and elsewhere on FB currently.

Just noticed some intense rain reaching Cornwall which has had some sferics recently

Can't add any more to what you've said Dave regarding UK winter lightning; I tend to prefer a chase with a T-shirt on and a warm Gulf wind at my back ... Neil may know more on the subject of "cold lightning".

Agree with your interest in the next couple of days - some unusually deep profiles for the time of year. If you can't have snow then some crisp convection keeps the interest going.

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
BB54
05 January 2014 20:10:39
Recent thunderstorm and heavy rain in north west London
Deep Powder
05 January 2014 20:17:51
Fantastic flash lighting up the sky here and big booming thunder that rumbles on 😁
Near Leatherhead 100masl (currently living in China since September 2019)
Loving the weather whatever it brings, snow, rain, wind, sun, heat, all great!
nsrobins
05 January 2014 20:37:57

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Can't add any more to what you've said Dave regarding UK winter lightning; I tend to prefer a chase with a T-shirt on and a warm Gulf wind at my back ... Neil may know more on the subject of "cold lightning".

I do not have specific references but I've read somewhere that winter lightning discharges tend to carry a greater current than summer - it's related to the polarity and potential differences in the static charge between an ice and water mix and a predominantly ice agrregate mechanism more likely in winter months.
It's a bit subjective but many people believe winter discharges are more likely to be less frequnet but stong CG pulses rather than the + or - CG and CCs seen in summer MCS systems.

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Girthmeister
05 January 2014 21:34:52
Distant rumbles here- looks like something lively approaching from the SSW...
schmee
05 January 2014 21:58:31

At 8pm I see 1 flash of lightning followed by a rumble north eastwards. Showed up as one crosshr on the sferics chart between Croydon and Westmister.

Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham
Sevendust
06 January 2014 06:15:45

Convection line moving into Southern Hampshire. Plenty of sferics on the backbuild

Gusty
06 January 2014 06:22:04

Convection line moving into Southern Hampshire. Plenty of sferics on the backbuild

Could be a lively day Dave ! 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

schmee
06 January 2014 06:53:11
Showery here and on it way over.
The Beast from the East
06 January 2014 08:34:29

dry here now. Streamer must have moved north

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
VIRTUAL STORMCHASER
06 January 2014 09:53:37
Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Cheers
VSC

Agree with your interest in the next couple of days - some unusually deep profiles for the time of year. If you can't have snow then some crisp convection keeps the interest going.

Thanks for the input peeps..... seems a tad lively in the Irish Sea at the moment. Any thunder likely get to us East Midlanders today/this evening... or will it run out of energy by the time it reaches us.....??
Cheers
VSC
Charmhills
06 January 2014 11:25:54

Very heavy rain here after midnight and squally winds.

Loughborough, EM.

Knowledge is power, ignorance is weakness.

Duane.
Rob K
06 January 2014 13:37:04
Lively shower with hail just sped through. Blue sky beyond and some quite convective looking cloud tops around.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Stormchaser
06 January 2014 22:41:26

Bit of thunder in Reading... torrential downpour incoming!

This kind of energetic convection from a long-fetch onshore flow is what helped November 2009 to achieve over 200mm of rainfall. It's unpredictable and potentially dangerous in places prone to flash-flooding when soils are saturated.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Sevendust
06 January 2014 22:45:55

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Bit of thunder in Reading... torrential downpour incoming!

This kind of energetic convection from a long-fetch onshore flow is what helped November 2009 to achieve over 200mm of rainfall. It's unpredictable and potentially dangerous in places prone to flash-flooding when soils are saturated.

Saw a bright flash of lightning when I was outside locking the gates in Basingstoke 20 minutes ago

Distinct cell amongst a line of convection

Been an active day in Alton. Absolute deluge around 2.30 this afternoon with hail. Had a further brief but intense burst of hail around 4.30pm

schmee
06 January 2014 23:17:15

Mostly light showers one or two heavier bursts. Plenty of red and white showing up on the rainfall radar around Newbury.

Jiries
06 January 2014 23:21:37

Had thunderstorm here last night with very heavy rain and again this morning but not sure about thunder as I just got up when I saw it pouring.

Deep Powder
06 January 2014 23:28:20
Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Had thunderstorm here last night with very heavy rain and again this morning but not sure about thunder as I just got up when I saw it pouring.

The rain woke me up this morning as it was rattling on the windows very loudly, but no thunder this am, only last night! Rain again this evening on and off......😁
Near Leatherhead 100masl (currently living in China since September 2019)
Loving the weather whatever it brings, snow, rain, wind, sun, heat, all great!