Bolty
  • Bolty
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
01 August 2017 23:27:21

August opens with 1.8mm after some showers today.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
P+ve Giant
02 August 2017 02:40:37

Just 4mm from extensive convective activity on the 1st!  

John.
ARTzeman
02 August 2017 09:18:07

0.6mm  Yesterday

1.8mm  Today

2.4mm  This Month

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
02 August 2017 12:07:16

6.6mm.  Today

7.2mm   This Month

Others just get wet.
speckledjim
02 August 2017 13:07:15
2.2mm
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
ARTzeman
02 August 2017 14:41:09

7.8mm      Today 

8.4mm      This  Month.  

Others just get wet.
Andy J
02 August 2017 15:51:34

August has got off to a wet start here, with 10mm from thundery showers on the 1st.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
P+ve Giant
02 August 2017 16:03:28

Just 1mm to add from thiis morning's front(s) - total now at 5mm.   

John.
idj20
02 August 2017 20:31:58

Originally Posted by: P+ve Giant 

Just 1mm to add from thiis morning's front(s) - total now at 5mm.   

It is what's known in layman's term as p*ssing down here at Folkestone. 12 mm and climbing (17.3 C but winds are being fairly light).

Folkestone Harbour. 
Tim A
02 August 2017 20:43:20
Wet start to August.
10.8mm yesterday
3.1mm today
Total 13.9mm
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

My PWS 
ARTzeman
03 August 2017 09:54:10

0. 6mm     Day 1

8.7mm      Day TWO

0.3mm      Day 3 so far.

9.6mm      This Month  

Others just get wet.
speckledjim
03 August 2017 15:43:29
now up to 4.4mm
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Tim A
03 August 2017 19:28:51
15.3mm here .

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

My PWS 
johncs2016
03 August 2017 19:45:57
At Swanston which is Jerry from Morningside's nearest station (that is also the nearest one to me which I have been able to get any current data from), there was 2.6mm of rain on Tuesday followed by 3.1mm from yesterday afternoon's weather system. That gives a total of 5.7mm for the month so far, over the first two days of this month.

The figures for today have still be be shown there, but I would imagine that this total will probably go up a bit further after today, as a result of those torrential downpours which we had this morning although with this afternoon rather surprisingly staying dry and fairly sunny despite the forecast of further showers during the day, that figure might not increase by as much as what many people might think, given how heavy that rain was this morning.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bolty
  • Bolty
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
03 August 2017 23:29:13
Torrential showers yesterday brought 15.3mm. Total rainfall now is 17.9mm to the 3rd.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
P+ve Giant
04 August 2017 00:24:07

Originally Posted by: idj20 

It is what's known in layman's term as p*ssing down here at Folkestone. 12 mm and climbing (17.3 C but winds are being fairly light).

Bit of a Paul Daniels here, Ian: 0.2mm to add from the 2nd and the 3rd saw 2.3mm from showers. So not a lot at this end.

Total now at 7.5mm which is about bang on average at this stage of the month. The average here is 78mm for August. 

John.
ARTzeman
05 August 2017 10:46:32

0.3mm  Today

9.9mm  This Month

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
05 August 2017 12:02:29

Swanston weather station had a total of 2.4mm of rain on Thursday but suprisingly, just 1.7mm from that really wet day which we had yesterday which hadn't even been forecast. That takes the monthly total for that site to 9.8mm up until and including yesterday (Friday 4 August 2017). For yesterday though, I noticed that most of that heavy rainfall seemed to be situated in a zone extending from the northern half of the city of Edinburgh northwards (since I live in the North of Edinburgh, that rain would therefore have been much heavier here), whereas the southern half of the city towards the Pentlands didn't appear to be as bad from where I was looking although that still doesn't make it great there as we saw from Jerry's posts during yesterday.

Since Swanston Weather Station is located on the southern outskirts of Edinburgh close to the Pentland Hills which appeared to be relatively dry during that period, that would probably have resulted in yesterday's rainfall figures in that part of the world being lower than what I would have expected for such a miserable day. I don't have any data to back that up from a closer site to me such as the Botanic Gardens but if I did, the rainfall figures for there would probably have been that bit higher for yesterday than what they were at Swanston as result of the manner in which this rainfall was distributed.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
06 August 2017 05:24:00

18.6mm month to date.

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
johncs2016
06 August 2017 08:11:03

I have just signed up with weatheronline and from there, I have been able to obtain some rainfall data for this month for Gogarbank in Edinburgh, which should be a little bit closer to where I live than Swanston (since Gogarbank is also the station which is used by the BBC for my own actual location, that is the appropriate one to go by anyway). Whilst I have been reporting the values for Swanston on this thread, I have always had a feeling that the rainfall totals which have been given for that location, have been a bit on the low side in terms of what this month has been like so far.

That is now reflected in the data for Gogarbank from weatheronline which shows this month's rainfall totals as follows:-

Tuesday 1 August 2017        9 mm

Wednesday 2 August 2017   2 mm

Thursday 3 August 2017      5 mm

Friday 4 August 2017          1 mm

Saturday 5 August 2017      6 mm

That gives a total of 23 mm so far for this month, which is a lot more representative of how this month has gone so far, and more in line with what has been reported on this thread so far for other locations. According to the Met Office, the average August rainfall for Gogarbank based on a 1981-2010 (that is the more modern average which I prefer to the older averages which are used for other data such as the CET) average is 67.8 mm so based on that and according to my own calculations, Gogarbank has had 33.9% of its average rainfall so far, based on that same averaging period.

At the end of yesterday though, we were just 16.1% of the way through August which means that at this stage, we have had 17.8 % more rain than what we should have had so far according to that same average and so, we are currently running more than twice as wet as normal so far.

Edit:

the above figure of 17.8% is compared against the average for the whole month, but it is actually better when this comparison is taken against what we should have at this stage of the month. Since that is difficult to gauge exactly, I have assumed a straight-line relationship here with the zero point being at the very start of the month, and with the average for the entire month being right at the end of the month. When this is done that way, the expected rainfall for August as the end of the 5th of august should be about 10.9 mm. This means that we have had 110.3% more than our average rainfall at this stage of the month which in turn, confirms that we have been getting more than twice our average rainfall for this stage of the month so far.