patricia
10 July 2011 19:24:07

Originally Posted by: Sevendust 

Originally Posted by: patricia 

We recorded 68.1mm of rain during June thank goodness after only 32.7mm during March, April and May.

I am extreamely happy to see the return of our typical british summers, (as they should be)  long may the reign     

Great news if you're not on holiday with kids in the UK

Been there, done that, and coped with all weathers

Sevendust
10 July 2011 21:37:21

Originally Posted by: Sevendust 

We recorded 68.1mm of rain during June thank goodness after only 32.7mm during March, April and May.

I am extreamely happy to see the return of our typical british summers, (as they should be)  long may the reign     

Great news if you're not on holiday with kids in the UK

Been there, done that, and coped with all weathers

It's a question of having to. Thankfully my daughter was brought up in the 1990's and early 2000's wrt going on holiday with me and the ex so dry outdoor activity was easy to come by, not that kids worry. Having a father who is fascinated by weather also helps as I can always bore her with whats happen aloft, even in poor weather!  

LeedsLad123
11 July 2011 06:56:14

Yup, days like yesterday are more "British summer", 20c, sunny etc. 

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Jiries
11 July 2011 08:10:42

Yes if typical brititsh summers are including nice days and some hot days too which are absent for a long time now, what we saw in June was more like Shetland to Icelandic high summer weather with mid teens and rain/rainshowers every day here.  I think it went up to 150mm or more of rain in here last month but my WS2500 was off while on vacation so I didnt' care less to miss any data, too horrible to record it anyway.

Stormchaser
11 July 2011 14:39:49

Starting to wonder if I should switch on 'Autumn Mode' looking at the ECM 00z today...

The predicted storm is frankly ridiculous - not in terms of liklihood, but generally speaking. Seems less likely that this one will suddenly be progged to go north of us instead of across us.

Now, on to the subject at hand; I'm still keeping an eye on those CFS charts. Alas, their failiure to pick up on the tendancy for the Greenland High to hang on until about the 7th of the month (the anomaly prediction has had to go from neutral to slightly positive to account for this) has reduced by respect for them.

Nevertheless, the anomaly predicted for August has been consistent during the past 10 days, showing high pressure over and extending east of the UK:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfs_fcst/images3/glbz700Mon.gif

Its going to take a lot to go wrong to drastically alter that setup. Unfortunately we've seen that happen a number of times in the past few years.

Still, the prediction is by far the most positive seen for any summer month this year. To me, it kind of feels like something that should happen, something that could well save the summer from being below par for many (if close to normal in the south). It fits nicely in with my expectations from April for a summer that is opposite to last year; June was the best last year and August the worst, this year June could be the worst and August the best. As far as I'm concerned, July has already had enough decent days to place it ahead of June in the rankings.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
heatandsnow
11 July 2011 16:49:06
Have recorded 25c 4 times this month plus a 26c and a 27c so a very good month here so far :oD
Essan
11 July 2011 16:51:49

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Yes if typical brititsh summers are including nice days and some hot days too which are absent for a long time

June produced the highest temperaturs since 2006

Quote:

I think it went up to 150mm or more of rain in here last month

I've only had 170mm all year ......

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
patricia
11 July 2011 20:46:15

We have faired slightly better with approximatley 190mm so far this year.

Reached 26c.2 here today

Jiries
15 July 2011 00:29:49

Originally Posted by: Essan 

Yes if typical brititsh summers are including nice days and some hot days too which are absent for a long time

June produced the highest temperaturs since 2006

Quote:

I think it went up to 150mm or more of rain in here last month

I've only had 170mm all year ......

YD show the Meto rainfall average results for last month and it show 200% above normal right over my area, every shower that came deposited around 2-5mm each time and it get hit 3-7 times a day so that made a very wet month here.  95% of that rainfall were in a form of showers otherwise it would be a dry month with few general rainfalls.  

The heat last month was very quick and only lasted few hours so that barely give 1% of the warmth over 25C for June.   Not like before when you have low 20's then mid 20's and high 20's and finally low 30's which take up to 1 to 2 weeks to reached it peak then a day to few days of temps dropping back to normal.   That warmth duration would cover up to 30% of the month. 

Darren S
15 July 2011 12:46:45

Yes if typical brititsh summers are including nice days and some hot days too which are absent for a long time now, what we saw in June was more like Shetland to Icelandic high summer weather with mid teens and rain/rainshowers every day here.  I think it went up to 150mm or more of rain in here last month but my WS2500 was off while on vacation so I didnt' care less to miss any data, too horrible to record it anyway.

Heathrow Airport (which is very close to Langley and not that far from West Ewell) recorded 82.8mm in June. They quote their average as being 52mm, although I thought it was actually lower than that.

No way was it anything like 150mm in the south of England! Having said that, though; 82.8mm is quite a lot for the SE.

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
LeedsLad123
15 July 2011 14:16:40

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

Heathrow Airport (which is very close to Langley and not that far from West Ewell) recorded 82.8mm in June. They quote their average as being 52mm, although I thought it was actually lower than that.

No way was it anything like 150mm in the south of England! Having said that, though; 82.8mm is quite a lot for the SE.

Eh, Shetland summer high? The average max in June here was 18c, which is slightly above average for this area. Yes there was a lot of unnecessary showers but also some warm days with 30c being reached, which is pretty unusual up here. This summer so far is probably more average than the summers of the 1990's and 2000's, which were very hot, amongst the hottest on record.. not so "normal" really 

britbob
18 July 2011 09:04:10

Our forecasted max for this afternoon, July 18th is 14C. Think that sums up the summer really. Worst summer weather I have seen in eight or nine years!

moomin75
19 July 2011 19:51:21

Have to say that although I've got the rainfall amounts wrong (over-estimated the amount of rainfall), I am absolutely chuffed to bits with the way my LRF has gone for July, certainly for central-southern UK.

I think it was a poor call for the north, as they have not been influenced by the northern blocking as I'd anticipated, but certainly my call for the midlands and the south has been decent.

Looking for an improvement next week and into August to complete a three-card trick!

Note to everyone - Yes it was predominantly guesswork, but still pretty pleased with how it's gone.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Essan
19 July 2011 20:10:10

Originally Posted by: britbob 

Our forecasted max for this afternoon, July 18th is 14C. Think that sums up the summer really. Worst summer weather I have seen in eight or nine years!

That's because you weren't in England most of those years 

And in these parts, the main issue this summer remains the lack of rain!   I reckon we'll end on about 60% average for the summer - compared with around 150% or more the past 4 years ......  Still, at least I haven't had to cut the grass since early June

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Stormchaser
19 July 2011 22:33:26

Just for a bit of fun, I'm going to post here what I suspect could be the pattern that dominates the opening week of August, based on recent model output regarding NAO, AO, MJO etc:

Troughing anchored over the northern half Scandinavia with high pressure amplified and very close to our west.

I may as well also mention that I can see the high pressure movinng east as the Scandinavian trough clears away, maybe even setting up home close to our east. This is based largely on hope, with just a touch of realism (the evolution makes logical sense!)

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Jiries
20 July 2011 07:34:59

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Just for a bit of fun, I'm going to post here what I suspect could be the pattern that dominates the opening week of August, based on recent model output regarding NAO, AO, MJO etc:

Troughing anchored over the northern half Scandinavia with high pressure amplified and very close to our west.

I may as well also mention that I can see the high pressure moving east as the Scandinavian trough clears away, maybe even setting up home close to our east. This is based largely on hope, with just a touch of realism (the evolution makes logical sense!)

This morning runs the LP refused to move east to Russia for no reason so blocking the HP moving in properly but as it been well overdue for HP to cover UK to Scandinavia must occur very soon.  I am hoping for September 1991 prolonged warm weather in first 2 weeks or Sept 1906 when 35C was reached,  There so much heat around the N Hemisphere only the UK and countries next to the UK missed out.

Gavin P
20 July 2011 19:25:39

I've got to say this has to be the most boring summer I can ever remember here.

Day after day after day of "non weather" Just dull and chilly and nothing much happening.

Very Octoberish.

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Sevendust
20 July 2011 20:29:46

Originally Posted by: Gavin P 

I've got to say this has to be the most boring summer I can ever remember here.

Day after day after day of "non weather" Just dull and chilly and nothing much happening.

Very Octoberish.

I agree

LeedsLad123
20 July 2011 20:47:20

This summer has been alright for me up until recently. I'm not a big fan of summer whether the weather is good or not so the sooner it's over the better for me 

David M Porter
21 July 2011 20:02:15

Has Brian been speaking to the Glasgow Herald recently? I noticed that his name appeared in an article on page 5 of today's Glasgow Herald which spoke about the poor summer so far and the prospects for what is still to come.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022