tallyho_83
21 November 2019 20:08:36

Anyone looked at the model on Meteociel.fr - the Strat temps at 10hpa:

Run the model from +192:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=0&ech=192&carte=1&mode=7

Again a long way off but it's a consistent signal for a SSW to develop at end of run!!?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

DPower
21 November 2019 21:00:40

looks to me like its the Euro,s v gfs no surprise there then. Nothing set in stone of course but looking at the gfs run archive from just two, three days ago it is definitely moving in the direction of the Euro,s. Post t168 which should be viewed  with deep scepticism the ecm run at t240 oozes potential. I for one am hopeful for the trend to continue with better synoptic and colder runs to come over the coming days.

One thing I have noticed on the strat charts is that although the fi stages of the runs has watered down the warming a little, the warming is now starting to show much earlier with the first signs at t192. No sign from what I can see of a full SSW yet but then again you don't always need one. 

Ally Pally Snowman
21 November 2019 21:05:57

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Anyone looked at the model on Meteociel.fr - the Strat temps at 10hpa:

Run the model from +192:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=0&ech=192&carte=1&mode=7

Again a long way off but it's a consistent signal for a SSW to develop at end of run!!?

Definitely looks like a growing signal , we live in hope.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
tallyho_83
21 November 2019 21:54:57

Originally Posted by: DPower 

looks to me like its the Euro,s v gfs no surprise there then. Nothing set in stone of course but looking at the gfs run archive from just two, three days ago it is definitely moving in the direction of the Euro,s. Post t168 which should be viewed  with deep scepticism the ecm run at t240 oozes potential. I for one am hopeful for the trend to continue with better synoptic and colder runs to come over the coming days.

One thing I have noticed on the strat charts is that although the fi stages of the runs has watered down the warming a little, the warming is now starting to show much earlier with the first signs at t192. No sign from what I can see of a full SSW yet but then again you don't always need one. 

Indeed! With December 2010 we never had a SSW - which then provided us with a full 4 weeks (1 full month of bitterly cold snowy, weather!?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Gusty
21 November 2019 22:01:24

It appears to me as if the initial warming ahead of a potential SSW is developing across the Siberian / Asian side in the same fashion as it did at the end of December 2018 ?

The response that time was to build pressure from the south across the UK leading to a fairly benign and mild January before a change to something briefly colder and unsettled after the 20th until the end of the month ?

Form house IMO would be for some sort of split PV, leading to a strong +ve NAO. One lobe across Iceland and one lobe across NE Russia leaving us in the middle with a settled regime. Very mild if the cell anchors to our south. Colder if HP resides more centrally across the UK.

As ever, we shall see. Milder and dry would be a satisfactory outcome for most of us I would have thought after the cool wet weather of late. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

LA2B MeridFlowEuro09
21 November 2019 22:45:42

Hi all on here.

Yeah - Next week Tropical Storm Sebastian could be hitting the UK 26th Tuesday hit the UK with a very deep Low SW to the eastward- Southern UK and Central UK could get a spell of heavy rain, very strong winds and chance of lightning and maybe some thundery showers as well.

Climate is warming up, Scotland and N Ireland and North England still often gets some Winter frost, ice and snow, November to March, but the SE and South UK including S Central England and Wales, together with the West and North through the year, they sometimes get more rain than London and S SE England, where some longer dry fine spells without much heavy rain is seen every year.

The North Atlantic Sea often gets some much Colder Wintry conditions from November to March Months, and Mild SW and South winds tend to be more frequent over the East and SE of North Atlantic Sea, as the Azores High tends to stay in charge. 

With this warmth and heat, the Central and South UK has become mostly free of snow and frost.
LA2B MeridFlowEuro09
21 November 2019 22:54:23

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

It appears to me as if the initial warming ahead of a potential SSW is developing across the Siberian / Asian side in the same fashion as it did at the end of December 2018 ?

The response that time was to build pressure from the south across the UK leading to a fairly benign and mild January before a change to something briefly colder and unsettled after the 20th until the end of the month ?

Form house IMO would be for some sort of split PV, leading to a strong +ve NAO. One lobe across Iceland and one lobe across NE Russia leaving us in the middle with a settled regime. Very mild if the cell anchors to our south. Colder if HP resides more centrally across the UK.

As ever, we shall see. Milder and dry would be a satisfactory outcome for most of us I would have thought after the cool wet weather of late. 

That second warmth SSW Plume in Asia I have seen modelled as well- much will depend how our UK location is placed- maybe NE Europe might be best placed and we might me on the SW side where less cold weather maybe possible- come 2nd week of December and mid-month.

But you never know maybe we could get the cold NW SE moving Low Pressure and cold conditions could happen for said period.  It might mean Low Pressure drag cold air to NE USA and over Greenland and then also Eastern Europe with high pressure from the Azores High might set up over West and NW Europe innit.   If that happened the Norway and Finland could see very cold below freezing North then NE winds.

Climate is warming up, Scotland and N Ireland and North England still often gets some Winter frost, ice and snow, November to March, but the SE and South UK including S Central England and Wales, together with the West and North through the year, they sometimes get more rain than London and S SE England, where some longer dry fine spells without much heavy rain is seen every year.

The North Atlantic Sea often gets some much Colder Wintry conditions from November to March Months, and Mild SW and South winds tend to be more frequent over the East and SE of North Atlantic Sea, as the Azores High tends to stay in charge. 

With this warmth and heat, the Central and South UK has become mostly free of snow and frost.
idj20
21 November 2019 23:38:21

Shades of "Winter" 2013/14 right at the tail end of the 18z GFS run.  Of course at that range just cannot be taken seriously . . . but that is enough to give anyone nightmares tonight.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Gandalf The White
21 November 2019 23:40:39

ECM 12z ensemble for London

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/meteo/eps/ensemble-tt6-london.gif

The first obvious point is how completely out of line the GFS 12z op run looks: at the mild end of the ECM suite throughout and at times almost an outlier after Day 9.

The ECM op was at the lower end of the options but never without some support.

The cold cluster that's been apparent for 4-5 runs now is a little better supported and as a result it pulls the mean down to around 5C before a little more scatter appears at the end.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Gandalf The White
21 November 2019 23:43:14

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Shades of "Winter" 2013/14 right at the tail end of the 18z GFS run.  Of course at that range just cannot be taken seriously . . . but that is enough to give anyone nightmares tonight.

I don't think GFS has the evolution right from around a week ahead so I'm completely disregarding the low res part of the run.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Argyle77
22 November 2019 01:19:29
GFS looks to be on its own again,ecm much colder ,looking at the ensembles
Steve Murr
22 November 2019 04:47:02
Those with a cold disposition dont look at the 00z GFS.
2010 redux !

UKMO 144 looks superb 😮
Ally Pally Snowman
22 November 2019 05:20:48

Originally Posted by: Steve Murr 

Those with a cold disposition dont look at the 00z GFS.
2010 redux !

UKMO 144 looks superb 😮

WOW! Stunning GFS and Ukmo this morning . Could it be a QTR to the strat warming seems almost too quick. Anyway who cares GFS is cold and snowy.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Heavy Weather 2013
22 November 2019 05:28:15
Woke up thinking the worst and the 0z has stunned me. Wonderful run.

Will wait for the ensembles.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
Gooner
22 November 2019 06:21:50

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

WOW! Stunning GFS and Ukmo this morning . Could it be a QTR to the strat warming seems almost too quick. Anyway who cares GFS is cold and snowy.

A very good start to the day 

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

ballamar
22 November 2019 06:29:11
Step in the right direction for cold this morning, hopefully gaining support from ECM - which looks good so far
Gooner
22 November 2019 06:34:20

Good from ECM

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

hobensotwo
22 November 2019 06:37:42
Early season excitement brewing...
Shades of 2010 across the output this morning.
White Meadows
22 November 2019 06:38:37
*some* agreement for an old fashioned Nor’easter of sorts in about a weeks time.
It’ll probably be gone tomorrow but refreshing to see after recent continuous mild output.
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
22 November 2019 06:43:48
Not bothered about the 6z later this morning but a similar set of 12z output from ECM, UKMO and GFS later this afternoon would be very welcome looking at the frigid output this morning.
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢