Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

34 Pages«<323334
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online doctormog  
#661 Posted : 03 June 2019 15:38:10(UTC)
doctormog

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow Go to Quoted Post

I was in Naples last Monday and visited Pompeii. Astonishing place.

My understanding (and I also watched a documentary a few months/a year ago) is that the whole Bay of Naples area is a giant Caldera, and the entire area has lifted 2m in the past few years as the magma chamber builds (IIRC, it had only risen 2m in the preceding 60 years)

Oh, and I was on Sicily on Wednesday, a few days before Etna cranked the pyrotechnics back up.

Jealous? Me?

Too right!

Online Saint Snow  
#662 Posted : 08 June 2019 16:04:20(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

Originally Posted by: doctormog Go to Quoted Post

Jealous? Me?

Too right!

Not sure what exactly you're jealous of, but if it's Pompeii, then all I can say is try to do it. It's an amazing place.

And get a good tour guide, as they will make your visit. Ours wasn't great, but still conveyed enough to have me absolutely staggered. The scale of the place was overwhelming enough (it's surprisingly massive), but immerse yourself in the facts (eg, it was buried under 10m - yes, metres - of ash and pumice) and it's simply staggering. It was a 'bucket list' thing for me, and actually surpassed expectations. 

But Naples was a absolute dump. We only drove through it, and some parts might be nice, but if you're going to visit, I'd recommend staying further afield, like in Sorrento or along the Amalfi coast. Or, as we did, visit on a cruise.

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:
"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
Online DEW  
#663 Posted : 08 June 2019 18:52:55(UTC)
DEW

Man

Not sure what exactly you're jealous of, but if it's Pompeii, then all I can say is try to do it. It's an amazing place.

And get a good tour guide, as they will make your visit. Ours wasn't great, but still conveyed enough to have me absolutely staggered. The scale of the place was overwhelming enough (it's surprisingly massive), but immerse yourself in the facts (eg, it was buried under 10m - yes, metres - of ash and pumice) and it's simply staggering. It was a 'bucket list' thing for me, and actually surpassed expectations. 

But Naples was a absolute dump. We only drove through it, and some parts might be nice, but if you're going to visit, I'd recommend staying further afield, like in Sorrento or along the Amalfi coast. Or, as we did, visit on a cruise.

Sorrento is nice, we werethere for New Year about 5 years ago, direct coach from Naples airport avoiding the city, Circumvesuviana railway to Pompeii and Herculaneum, buses along the spectacular corniche road to Amalfi.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Pompeii though when we were there then we felt Herculaneum was even better - the part you can see (most is under the modern town) was less crowded and very well restored whereas restoration of Pompeii seemed to be a matter of putting up scaffolding and a'No entry' sign! The previous boss i/c restoration has however been sacked for diverting funds and the project is now under control of an army man, though.

Off-topic, but 40 years ago we stayed in Naples and then moved on to Palermo. Naples hotelkeeper - You're going to Palermo? But they shoot people in the street!. Palermo hotelkeeper - You've come from Naples? And you haven't been robbed!

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Online doctormog  
#664 Posted : 08 June 2019 19:14:02(UTC)
doctormog

Not jealous of Naples but Pompeii and Etna are both on my ‘bucket list’ (along with Yellowstone of course!)

Offline NMA  
#665 Posted : 03 July 2019 19:36:36(UTC)
NMA

Man

Stromboli very active today and this evening. It seems one person has been killed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48857422

Edited by user 03 July 2019 19:39:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Lionel Hutz  
#666 Posted : 03 July 2019 20:59:38(UTC)
Lionel Hutz

Man
Ireland

Originally Posted by: doctormog Go to Quoted Post

Not jealous of Naples but Pompeii and Etna are both on my ‘bucket list’ (along with Yellowstone of course!)

I would very much recommend a visit to Naples. So many cities in Europe are almost like open air museums, beautiful but entirely for tourists. Naples is a stunning city but not entirely conquered by tourism. 

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL
Online DEW  
#667 Posted : 04 July 2019 06:22:35(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz Go to Quoted Post

I would very much recommend a visit to Naples. So many cities in Europe are almost like open air museums, beautiful but entirely for tourists. Naples is a stunning city but not entirely conquered by tourism. 

30 years ago, stayed in Naples before taking train on to Palermo, not without a thought for the Campi Flegrei in western Naples where the old caldera was heaving up and down by a metre or two. Apparently the upper strata are relatively strong and managed to restrain the magma moving around underneath - for now.

Innkeeper in Naples "Going to Palermo? They shoot people in the street there!"

Innkeeper in Palermo "From Naples? and you haven't been robbed?"

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline The Beast from the East  
#668 Posted : 04 July 2019 07:54:35(UTC)
The Beast from the East

Man

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz Go to Quoted Post

For those who have Sky subscription or Now TV should watch the series "My Brilliant Friend", an HBO production but entirely in the local Neapolitan dialect. Really captures the mood and politics of the post war period, the corruption, mafia influence, patriarchy etc

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
Offline Chunky Pea  
#669 Posted : 04 July 2019 17:55:11(UTC)
Chunky Pea

Man
Ireland

Hearing reports of an earthquake in Los Angeles in the last hour. Nothing overly major but bigger than what they are commonly used to.
"There are nights when the wolves fall silent and only the moon howls"
--George Carlin.
Offline ozone_aurora  
#670 Posted : 28 August 2019 12:23:17(UTC)
ozone_aurora

Another explosion occurred on Stromboli

https://twitter.com/NicoleBremner/status/1166661179122601984.

Offline NMA  
#671 Posted : 28 August 2019 12:40:34(UTC)
NMA

Man

It has been quite active for the past few weeks too but this has been a large explosion.
I would have asked for payment and a byline but she seems happy enough to supply the footage for free.