Joe Bloggs
28 February 2020 07:29:31

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Having studied the most likely path of Storm Jorge, it would appear as though it's centre is likely to be over or just the north of Scotland. That is obviously quite a long way away from Spain and so, the only reason which I can think of as to why it is the Spanish Met service rather than either the UK Met Office or Met Eireann who have named this storm can only be down to the fact that there must be some sort of trailing weather front associated with that particular system, which is likely to cause enough of an impact in that part of world to warrant that particular storm being officially named.

That must obviously be quite a big impact as well since I would imagine that there would need to be the Spanish equivalent of an amber/orange warning in place somewhere in Spain as a result of that, in order to warrant that system actually being named by the Spanish Met service.

There is an indeed an amber wind warning for northern Spain 

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/avisos?w=mna

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

johncs2016
28 February 2020 08:25:06

Originally Posted by: Joe Bloggs 

There is an indeed an amber wind warning for northern Spain 

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/avisos?w=mna

From what I am understanding and after further research, there appears to be a secondary low developing well to the south of the actual centre of Storm Jorge which is producing those amber warnings in the north of Spain. Most of us who are knowledgeable about the weather will know full well that any secondary low is capable of developing into an actual main system itself given the right circumstances.

As a result of that, the name of Storm Jorge could easily have been allocated just to that secondary low rather than the actual main centre of low pressure itself which in turn, would have been allowed that to be named as Storm Ellen as a result of that being a separate system.

Furthermore, it also turns out that Met Eireann issued an orange warning for the west of the Irish Republic just after that storm had already been officially named. This means that if they had just been just that bit quicker in getting into the act with this one, then this storm would probably have been named as Storm Ellen rather than Storm Jorge as a result.

Those are quite a few if-buts, but this just goes to show what complications can arise when naming these storms and how even very small changes in the actual timing of when the various agencies produce their various warnings for these systems, can have quite a big impact on the actual outcome of that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
nsrobins
28 February 2020 08:40:35

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

From what I am understanding and after further research, there appears to be a secondary low developing well to the south of the actual centre of Storm Jorge which is producing those amber warnings in the north of Spain. Most of us who are knowledgeable about the weather will know full well that any secondary low is capable of developing into an actual main system itself given the right circumstances.

As a result of that, the name of Storm Jorge could easily have been allocated just to that secondary low rather than the actual main centre of low pressure itself which in turn, would have been allowed that to be named as Storm Ellen as a result of that being a separate system.

Furthermore, it also turns out that Met Eireann issued an orange warning for the west of the Irish Republic just after that storm had already been officially named. This means that if they had just been just that bit quicker in getting into the act with this one, then this storm would probably have been named as Storm Ellen rather than Storm Jorge as a result.

Those are quite a few if-buts, but this just goes to show what complications can arise when naming these storms and how even very small changes in the actual timing of when the various agencies produce their various warnings for these systems, can have quite a big impact on the actual outcome of that.

Nicely put - and a lot more polite than I am on other outlets about the naming farce. If anyone needs an example of how puzzling and confusing the naming strategy is, this is it. The trouble is I fear the system will continue for a while yet because for some strange reason the ‘majority’ of people like it - mostly Express readers I’d wager. 
I’ll get me coat - I feel a Jorge coming 😊

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
ARTzeman
28 February 2020 10:16:50

What's in a name, just to let Joe public that it is a storm.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Saint Snow
28 February 2020 10:27:44

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

What's in a name, just to let Jorge public that it is a storm.

Corrected

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
28 February 2020 10:47:44

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Nicely put - and a lot more polite than I am on other outlets about the naming farce. If anyone needs an example of how puzzling and confusing the naming strategy is, this is it. The trouble is I fear the system will continue for a while yet because for some strange reason the ‘majority’ of people like it - mostly Express readers I’d wager. 
I’ll get me coat - I feel a Jorge coming 😊

Thing is, named storms aren't intended for the tiny minority who post on weather forums. They are meant for the general public who, let's face it, simply want to know if they should take a brolly to work or not. I have heard plenty of people mention storms Ciara & Dennis, and just this morning at work, storm Jorge, complete with various attempts at pronounciation! Naming storms allows people to relate to a specific event in a way that just talking about 'deep low pressure' or 'tightly packed isobars' cannot.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
ARTzeman
28 February 2020 10:48:49

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Corrected

Others just get wet.
Phil G
28 February 2020 11:09:03

Originally Posted by: Col 

Thing is, named storms aren't intended for the tiny minority who post on weather forums. They are meant for the general public who, let's face it, simply want to know if they should take a brolly to work or not. I have heard plenty of people mention storms Ciara & Dennis, and just this morning at work, storm Jorge, complete with various attempts at pronounciation! Naming storms allows people to relate to a specific event in a way that just talking about 'deep low pressure' or 'tightly packed isobars' cannot.

Thing is, if Dennis had occurred 'on its own', it would never have had the impact it did, the other storms layed the foundations. It's been a combination of the close proximity of one storm after another without any 'recovery' time in between.

ARTzeman
28 February 2020 15:32:19

Storm Kitty is next on the list.....

Others just get wet.
Rob K
29 February 2020 01:39:40
Blowing a hooley out there, and the squally stuff on the radar is still well out to the west. I can hear all kinds of stuff blowing around in the street. We have a robin's nest in the hedge that has obviously hatched recently - I could hear the babies and see the parents flying back and forth feeding them. At this rate they'll be blown clean out of their nest.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
doctormog
29 February 2020 04:04:25

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Storm Kitty is next on the list.....

Ellen surely?

nsrobins
29 February 2020 09:45:15

Originally Posted by: Col 

I accept what you say, but there needs to be a proper discussion on whether to continue the system. Public ‘perception’ aside, this weekend is another example of the initiative falling on its arse. A parent low that wasn’t looking to qualify by UK and Eire parameters (amber level impacts) was named by the Spanish who have a different list, when anyone with a modicum of meteorology can see the impact of the trailing CF to Spain is low level at best. So maybe it’s the daughter low tomorrow that triggered Spain, a decent little runner bringing rain to France mostly and no significant wind impacts. So let’s look at Monday - maybe the second cousin once removed of Jorge, but perhaps this is pushing the time constraints, that is when do the effects of such named storm cease to qualify and warrant another name.

This is one of many confusing episodes since the initiative was introduced, including many where ex-tropical systems - already having a legitimate name - get confused with separately named systems or products of the original system. And of course Scandinavia use their own list. I’ll leave it there - a decent debate would be useful but maybe only to me lol.

Neil
johncs2016
29 February 2020 10:03:23

I accept what you say, but there needs to be a proper discussion on whether to continue the system. Public ‘perception’ aside, this weekend is another example of the initiative falling on its arse. A parent low that wasn’t looking to qualify by UK and Eire parameters (amber level impacts) was named by the Spanish who have a different list, when anyone with a modicum of meteorology can see the impact of the trailing CF to Spain is low level at best. So maybe it’s the daughter low tomorrow that triggered Spain, a decent little runner bringing rain to France mostly and no significant wind impacts. So let’s look at Monday - maybe the second cousin once removed of Jorge, but perhaps this is pushing the time constraints, that is when do the effects of such named storm cease to qualify and warrant another name.

This is one of many confusing episodes since the initiative was introduced, including many where ex-tropical systems - already having a legitimate name - get confused with separately named systems or products of the original system. And of course Scandinavia use their own list. I’ll leave it there - a decent debate would be useful but maybe only to me lol.

Very good points there and perhaps, it might be worthwhile starting a separate thread on this forum for such a discussion to take place if there is enough interest for that here on TWO.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
nsrobins
01 March 2020 00:00:40
In one of the previous debates on storm naming, the UKMO made it clear a name will only be assigned on systems generating Amber level warnings. There are no such warnings currently in force. So why accept a name at all, let alone one assigned by another agency?
I have asked the UKMO for an explanation.
Neil
Retron
01 March 2020 06:01:40

. So why accept a name at all, let alone one assigned by another agency?
I have asked the UKMO for an explanation.

We already do it with ex-hurricanes, so I guess it makes sense from their point of view to use a name if one's available.

Leysdown, north Kent
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
06 March 2020 09:08:59

Fourteen new flood warnings for East Sussex according to EA quoted on local radio but not showing on flood map yet. West Sussex not quoted but some more or less important minor roads only passable with care

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
ARTzeman
06 March 2020 10:23:20

I see more strong winds to come on Tuesday 10th For my area. So BBC Weather has it.

Others just get wet.
JHutch
10 March 2020 09:32:08

After 3 weeks, the Ironbridge Wharfage is open after repairs have been done to the flood damage that was sustained.

https://twitter.com/TelfordWrekin/status/1237287593781473280

However, flood peak is coming downstream from last night's rain. The measurements from the gauge at Abermule look ominous but I don't think the peak will be as high as previous ones at Ironbridge. Also several of the previous flood peaks also went over the 'highest recent' level at Abermule. EA have a general warning out for Shropshire but nothing specific to Ironbridge (yet).

https://rloi.naturalresources.wales/ViewDetails?station=2009

JHutch
10 March 2020 10:53:04

Worcestershire's cricket ground in Worcester has been flooded for 71 days so far this winter, almost half of the days since the last match was played.

https://twitter.com/DaveThroupEA/status/1237329672502902789