tallyho_83
09 October 2019 10:45:22

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I was in Calgary in May 2002. When we arrived, temps were nudging 80f - but there were some piles of snow still on the ground (albeit melting rather quickly!) from a heavy fall a few days previously. 6/7 days later, the temp dropped off to barely above freezing and, overnight, around 9" of snow fell. By the time we departed a week later, temps were back up to mid-70's.

I love Canada!

Me too - not one day or night is ever the same weather wise unless you're in Vancouver or Victoria etc!?

As for Denver - It will be back up in 60's and maybe 70's in Denver (20 or so degrees C!) by the weekend?

I am sure if people living there don't get a headache with altitude sickness then surely 29c to -3c and up to 21c the day after would be enough to make them feel a bit sick and tired?

I also heard Ulan Bator in Mongolia are prone to rapid temperature changes by day and night and it's high up on a plateau like Denver. I also heard Madrid (high on a plateau) get's cold too but not exceptionally cold but does share same Latitude with Denver CO.

I remember in 2013 (Nov) in Madrid it was 18-21c and sunny and two days later is was 6 or 7c with a stiff northerly wind!!

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Bolty
09 October 2019 12:55:30

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I was in Calgary in May 2002. When we arrived, temps were nudging 80f - but there were some piles of snow still on the ground (albeit melting rather quickly!) from a heavy fall a few days previously. 6/7 days later, the temp dropped off to barely above freezing and, overnight, around 9" of snow fell. By the time we departed a week later, temps were back up to mid-70's.

I love Canada!

I went to Toronto and the Niagara Falls area in August and have a trip planned to Calgary next July. Canada is absolutely stunning - gets much more weather in one week than we get in a whole season.

If I could find a job there I'd sod off there, even if the winters would be too much for me!

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
severnside
12 October 2019 12:23:03

I hope the end of October gets some nice High Pressure in place , temperatures up to 20 c, then high in place all November for a nice dry sunny month. lots of wishful thinking.

JACKO4EVER
12 October 2019 12:29:53
I do love the great variability of the UK Autumn climate- rain, rain and more rain
doctormog
12 October 2019 12:51:42
No moaning here today as it has been sunny since dawn bar a few minutes and is still sunny. A lovely Saturday (for a change, before anyone comments).
idj20
12 October 2019 13:56:10

Originally Posted by: severnside 

I hope the end of October gets some nice High Pressure in place , temperatures up to 20 c, then high in place all November for a nice dry sunny month. lots of wishful thinking.

I'm thinking the same too. The famed warmth and dryness of the past few months is now a distant memory losing itself in the mists of time. 10 mm all in drizzle so far today and is currently 12.5 c  but at least my lawn is looking good for it now. Just that it seems a bit too soon for Autumn crapness as we have at least five months of this kind of thing to come.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Arcus
12 October 2019 14:33:00
After a pretty vile week it has at least been quite pleasant today, with long sunny spells allowing for some gardening and grass cutting at last.
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
Bolty
15 October 2019 11:19:31
Today could be the first mostly dry day in a good few weeks here. Saying that, it still laden with thick cloud so its still not brilliant...

What a horrid month this has been so far.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
KevBrads1
16 October 2019 06:26:44

Around 204mm for the first half of autumn for England and Wales, recent autumns have not been that wet. It only requires about another 60mm and we would have already overtaken the last 5 previous autumns' rainfall totals.

It is likely to have been the wettest first half to autumn for England and Wales since 2000

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
16 October 2019 06:38:19

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

It is likely to have been the wettest first half to autumn for England and Wales since 2000

Lidl is building a new supermarket with the entrance/car park across the Lavant which is the local winterbourne. If the rain keeps on and they don't get a move on with the culvert (work in progress). there will be embarrassment when the Lavant rises. It's dry at the moment, so I hope they've allowed enough space for its peak flow.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
16 October 2019 15:10:56

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Lidl is building a new supermarket with the entrance/car park across the Lavant which is the local winterbourne. If the rain keeps on and they don't get a move on with the culvert (work in progress). there will be embarrassment when the Lavant rises. It's dry at the moment, so I hope they've allowed enough space for its peak flow.

I wouldn't bank on it.  One of the several contributory factors to the floods in Uckfield in 2000 (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0kDOLvzkM ) is often thought to be the construction in the 1980s of the A22 Uckfield bypass to the west of the town, which runs across the flood plain of the River Uck downstream of the town.  The majority of the road runs on an embankment across the floodplain, with a bridge only across the river channel.  All the locals realise quite well that the road embankment acts as an effective dam by obstructing the flow of water down the floodplain when the river bursts its banks, but (AIUI) somehow the planning authorities don't agree.  After all it just could not be possible that the floods were exacerbated by something that they were responsible for allowing to be built.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
KevBrads1
17 October 2019 07:05:54

What is it with Accuweather forecaasts and the emphasis on gales for our region? 

"The greatest risk for these storms will be during the months of September and October."

It's mid October and the there hasn't be a named storm as far as I'm aware apart Lorenzo and that ended up being largely a bust!

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
Chunky Pea
17 October 2019 07:16:02

What is it with Accuweather forecaasts and the emphasis on gales for our region? 

"The greatest risk for these storms will be during the months of September and October."

It's mid October and the there hasn't be a named storm as far as I'm aware apart Lorenzo and that ended up being largely a bust!

True, and it is also notable how close it is to the Euro climate norm for Autumn. 'Cold shots late' into eastern Europe, 'lingering warm spells' over central regions etc, is something my goldfish could predict... well, I don't actually have a gold fish, but if I had, that is what it would easily predict 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
KevBrads1
17 October 2019 07:57:24

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

True, and it is also notable how close it is to the Euro climate norm for Autumn. 'Cold shots late' into eastern Europe, 'lingering warm spells' over central regions etc, is something my goldfish could predict... well, I don't actually have a gold fish, but if I had, that is what it would easily predict 

what is their obsession with gales/windstorms for this neck of the world in their forecasts?

For winter 2016-17, they predicted 15-18 named storms for our part of the world for the period October 2016 to April 2017. The actual number of named storms was 5!

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
17 October 2019 08:07:37
Talking about Lidl, they are building a store on Portland in a place that is prone to high tide flooding. Let alone over topping Chesil Beach in one of those one in a hundred year storms.
Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Chunky Pea
17 October 2019 08:32:17

what is their obsession with gales/windstorms for this neck of the world in their forecasts?

For winter 2016-17, they predicted 15-18 named storms for our part of the world for the period October 2016 to April 2017. The actual number of named storms was 5!

Yep, they do seem focus in on that alright, but again I think it is all down to what they think is the Autumnal norm for NW Europe in general. Windstorms, or at least gales, are pretty much a given (or at least used to be ) for this part of the world during Autumn, and more especially during the 2nd half of the season. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
tallyho_83
17 October 2019 10:23:21

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

I agree with the mild nights - here in Devon or Exeter rather a few nights ago the temperature never really fell below 17.5c. Felt so humid and tropical outside. 17.5c is really a September daytime average  not night time minimum.

We need a cold night with frost to freeze these horrible slugs!! and snails too. We are in October in a couple days time and this is too mild especially by night.

Also yes - my other moan are slugs in porch and patio also coming into my kitchen and around my bins and I don;t know how they are getting in it's sickening!! Anyone else had or have had the issue with slugs coming in the kitchen? I believe they like moisture and maybe come in underneath the front door so put tape over it and slug pellets as well as salt!! Slimy and just ...Eww!!

Anyone else having this issue with slugs???

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Saint Snow
17 October 2019 15:18:00

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Anyone else having this issue with slugs???

Not this year - but I've seen blackbirds frequent my garden a lot this year (they had a nest where all the chicks fledged ) and I think we're on the nightly round of a hedgehog (or we have a rat problem!)

And I wouldn't rule out my stupid pig of a dog eating them (I live in fear of her getting lungworm )

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
tallyho_83
18 October 2019 23:25:27

Couldn't agree more it's the same old every year and not to mention winters as well:

2017/2018

Europe Winter 10/14

2018/19

Europe Winter 2018-19

2019/20

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

JACKO4EVER
19 October 2019 20:12:23
So much guff on Nonaccuweather that I stopped looking two years ago.