LeedsLad123
24 January 2018 07:32:30
Squall just passed through here, was pretty wild for a moment.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
johncs2016
24 January 2018 08:05:36
Here in Edinburgh, the wind in the last hour has gusted up to 46.0mph from the SW at Edinburgh Gogarbank and we weren't even in any of the warning areas for that. Meanwhile, the mean wind speeds at Edinburgh Airport have reached 31.1mph during the last hour with gusts up to 44.0mph from the SW.

What has been the biggest issue here though, is the amount of rain which we have had from this system which in many ways, makes it not too dissimilar to Storm Desmond back in December 2015. So far, this system has brought a massive 14.2 mm of rain (with 14.0 mm of that falling during today) to Edinburgh Gogarbank, and 10.7 mm to the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 7am this morning. This already makes today by far, the wettest day of the month and year so far at both stations and comes on top of the 9.8 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 9.4 mm at the botanic gardens which we got from yesterday's system (that wasn't a named storm).

So overall, this has been an extraordinary last 24 hours or so of weather here. The main area of rain has now moved away, but we are still getting some very heavy blustery showers coming in behind that and since they are expected to continue for the next day or so, our rainfall totals are just going to keep clocking up even further with that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
24 January 2018 08:34:17
Impressive Squall coming through south Notts now (where we are), really dark with horizontal torrential rain and spray. On the radar the squall stretches from Hull to Plymouth 😲
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Chunky Pea
24 January 2018 08:47:16

Originally Posted by: AIMSIR 

It might get a bit rough over the sea and ocean but luckily not many people live there.

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
The Beast from the East
24 January 2018 09:38:52

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Impressive Squall coming through south Notts now (where we are), really dark with horizontal torrential rain and spray. On the radar the squall stretches from Hull to Plymouth 😲

Scary stuff. Hopefully will weaken a bit when it gets here 

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
LeedsLad123
24 January 2018 09:58:13

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

Scary stuff. Hopefully will weaken a bit when it gets here 

It's just a bog-standard squall. Not exactly 'scary'. 

Nordic Snowman
24 January 2018 16:30:34

Was there a storm today?

Perhaps in my tea cup but certainly not on the south coast; a bit blowy but again, another example of the weather/media machine in generating interest and engagement a la American style...

Bjorli, Norway

Website 
Rob K
24 January 2018 17:00:46

Originally Posted by: Nordic Snowman 

Was there a storm today?

Perhaps in my tea cup but certainly not on the south coast; a bit blowy but again, another example of the weather/media machine in generating interest and engagement a la American style...

60mph gusts round here, so strong enough.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2018 17:12:45

Was there a storm today?

It was definitely wild on the more exposed coast at Selsey today; Pompey is more sheltered by the Isle of Wight. But not IMO more than a strong gale - justification for any storm naming will have to rest on what Georgina did to NW Scotland.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
LeedsLad123
24 January 2018 18:09:58

Was there a storm today?

I don't recall anything of note being forecast for Portsmouth in the first place.. 

picturesareme
24 January 2018 18:32:12

Originally Posted by: DEW 

It was definitely wild on the more exposed coast at Selsey today; Pompey is more sheltered by the Isle of Wight. But not IMO more than a strong gale - justification for any storm naming will have to rest on what Georgina did to NW Scotland.

Not always the case though as the Solent has a habit of funnelling the energy from the wind making it more intense around the gosport & even exposed Portsmouth coastlines. 

Anyway the strongest gusts today seem to have been a little over 80mph in the outer hebrides - so nothing exceptional even by their winter standards.

idj20
24 January 2018 18:54:04

Was there a storm today?

That.

While the forecast for places such as Langdon Bay and Manston here at Kent, both being over 150 m asl were dead spot on with 35 mph winds & up 60 mph gusts this afternoon, the effects were surprisingly much, much less obvious here on the coastal edge, just a typical breezy ol' day with 2.8 mm's worth of drizzle since 4 pm.

Just as well strong winds and heavy rain doesn't do absolutely anything for me otherwise I'd be quite disappointed.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Jive Buddy
24 January 2018 22:31:14

Originally Posted by: idj20 

That.

While the forecast for places such as Langdon Bay and Manston here at Kent, both being over 150 m asl were dead spot on with 35 mph winds & up 60 mph gusts this afternoon, the effects were surprisingly much, much less obvious here on the coastal edge, just a typical breezy ol' day with 2.8 mm's worth of drizzle since 4 pm.

Just as well strong winds and heavy rain doesn't do absolutely anything for me otherwise I'd be quite disappointed.

Well that explains some of my ropey landings - the aeronautical charts I used had the runway being at around just 54m asl 

Thanet is as flat as a pancake - the only hills there, are when a local farmer stacks his trailer with cauliflowers 

It's not over, until the fat Scandy sinks.....

picturesareme
24 January 2018 23:57:08

Originally Posted by: Jive Buddy 

Well that explains some of my ropey landings - the aeronautical charts I used had the runway being at around just 54m asl 

Thanet is as flat as a pancake - the only hills there, are when a local farmer stacks his trailer with cauliflowers 

Manston is only around 150 ft not meters.

Jive Buddy
25 January 2018 00:41:35

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Manston is only around 150 ft not meters.

Yes I know - I flew from there many times, and lived just over the "hill" from it for 6 years 

It's not over, until the fat Scandy sinks.....