Bertwhistle
03 February 2019 14:02:11

Second day of 1.5+  (yesterday and beautiful today, which  reached 1.6). Not sure how the sensors capture UV but I do wonder of the snowfields around Berkshire might affect it?

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gray-Wolf
04 February 2019 16:15:21

This is when I miss my greenhouse most!

A couple of hours under 1.5 or 1.6 UV thaws the bones and brings hope of the spring.

Ho Hum , two more months!

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
Retron
04 February 2019 17:39:30

Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf 

This is when I miss my greenhouse most!

A couple of hours under 1.5 or 1.6 UV thaws the bones and brings hope of the spring.

Ho Hum , two more months!

More like one more month before I have to slop on loads of goopy suncream every time I go to the wolf centre - hate having to do that, but at least it reduces the risk of skin cancer. (I've seen relatives and friends come down with it, and I'm determined to avoid their fate!)

That said, with the sunlight bouncing off the snow on Saturday up in the hills near Reading, it felt more like late February than early!

Leysdown, north Kent
tierradelfuego
04 February 2019 18:05:44

Originally Posted by: Retron 

More like one more month before I have to slop on loads of goopy suncream every time I go to the wolf centre - hate having to do that, but at least it reduces the risk of skin cancer. (I've seen relatives and friends come down with it, and I'm determined to avoid their fate!)

That said, with the sunlight bouncing off the snow on Saturday up in the hills near Reading, it felt more like late February than early!

Probably missed it, but what's the connection with the wolf centre Retron? We live about 4km from there, but our quiet Sunday morning trail runs take us closer by than that, and their call is unmistakable and wonderful to hear. When the one escaped (intentionally or otherwise) last year, it came down our lane and through the fields where we walk the dog daily, but from what I heard she went through a field of sheep without even blinking.

Sorry about the digress from UV levels, trout season on the Lambourn and Itchen is around the corner, so that'll be my reminder to start looking at the Reading levels...

Bucklebury
West Berkshire Downs AONB
135m ASL
picturesareme
09 February 2019 18:54:45

Of no real surprise giving it's mid Feb but still it's always nice to see the uv index heading up..

Whether Idle
09 February 2019 21:04:47

Solar panels got up to 2Kw today by 11am (they face SE).

7 March seems to be the real trigger point though.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Bertwhistle
10 February 2019 08:56:44

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

Solar panels got up to 2Kw today by 11am (they face SE).

7 March seems to be the real trigger point though.

I would agree, in most years. Two years ago, though, we triggered a UV2 in mid Feb (about 16th I think?)

Shows what the potential could be!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
12 February 2019 18:11:39

2.0 in Reading. Yawoo! Is that a record- certainly it's the earliest 2 in recent years?

Edit:  The MetO forecast for today was spot on!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Whether Idle
12 February 2019 18:15:14

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

2.0 in Reading. Yawoo! Is that a record- certainly it's the earliest 2 in recent years?

The  sun was strong today for early-mid February.  Best ever solar electricity generation for this date here at my home-cum-powerstation.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Bertwhistle
12 February 2019 18:17:14

The  sun was strong today for early-mid February.  Best ever solar electricity generation for this date here at my home-cum-powerstation.

but

only because I missed the outdoors entirely! Aaaagh!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Gray-Wolf
13 February 2019 13:49:54

Anyone know of any images of the amount of stratospheric Ozone over the UK currently?

If we are seeing high levels of U.V. for the time of year could it be hinting at some reductions in our ozone protection?

Thanks in advance!

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
picturesareme
13 February 2019 14:23:16

The sun wasn't strong it doesn't change, it will be the same strenghth at this time of year as it was last. The sun at this point in February is pretty much the same as it is at the end if October, and at at that point UV's are still around 2 (or at least they are down here).

What can and does effect the sun strength are atmospheric things such as; pollution, ozone  humidity, clouds etc.

Bertwhistle
14 February 2019 07:30:36

Despite more strong sunshine forecast for the next couple of days, the UV locally is only forecast as 1, partly due to increased moisture in this more southerly airstream. This is born out by the fact that we have a foggy morning now.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
15 February 2019 13:42:53

2.0 yesterday and today in Reading- despite the humidity and misty starts both days. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
forestedge
15 February 2019 17:25:14

UV max of 1.9 today, if this southerly drift continues we may see some Saharan dust coming our way to reduce the UV 

Roger
Ashurst Bridge (New Forest)
9m ASL
https://www.newforestweather.co.uk 
Bertwhistle
17 February 2019 19:32:02

1.4 Saturday and 1.8 today. A King's Shilling (and I've got some) that we break 2.3 by the end of next weekend.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
19 February 2019 13:23:28

Another 2 today; this February is delivering well.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Gray-Wolf
19 February 2019 13:33:12

I tracked down a real time ( well day out) ozone map for the N.Hemisphere

http://es-ee.tor.ec.gc.ca/ozone/images/graphs/o3_hrmaps_dev/current.gif

and the back end of last week saw the S, and esp. the SE, with the fringes of the lowered ozone amounts Spain were seeing? I wonder if this drop off ( by 10 to 20% of the norms) makes it easier for us to see the top of the range of UV values for that day of the year?

Koyaanisqatsi
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
Bertwhistle
19 February 2019 15:55:22

Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf 

I tracked down a real time ( well day out) ozone map for the N.Hemisphere

http://es-ee.tor.ec.gc.ca/ozone/images/graphs/o3_hrmaps_dev/current.gif

and the back end of last week saw the S, and esp. the SE, with the fringes of the lowered ozone amounts Spain were seeing? I wonder if this drop off ( by 10 to 20% of the norms) makes it easier for us to see the top of the range of UV values for that day of the year?

That would make sense Gray; these levels do look to be unusual when considering, some of the days (not today particularly), have had quite a bit of moisture in the air to thicken the view.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Gray-Wolf
19 February 2019 17:13:24

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

That would make sense Gray; these levels do look to be unusual when considering, some of the days (not today particularly), have had quite a bit of moisture in the air to thicken the view.

I know someone pulled this up a period a few Febs/march back where we had one of these 'holes' centred over us and UV was high?

I know the furthest reaches of South America used to struggle with the then Antarctic Ozone hole so if we are seeing alterations to the lower Strat circulation over the Arctic which , in its turn, throws out lobes of the circulation to the south and into the rising sun the ozone would become depleted and so leave these weaknesses?

I might have it all wrong of course , I'm late to the party so don't know just how often such weaknesses turn up but now I have the 

http://es-ee.tor.ec.gc.ca/e/ozone/Curr_allmap.htm

maps so I can cross ref your levels ( and opinions) with the plots?

Thanks for the reply b.t.w.!

Koyaanisqatsi
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS