25 April 2019 11:58:28

Now reached 30.3 mm To Date.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bolty
25 April 2019 13:00:05
13.5mm to the end of the 24th.

Only 1.8mm fell during yesterday's thunderstorm.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
PFCSCOTTY
25 April 2019 14:29:43
Of note...no recorded rainfall in this part of the south coast in 10 days and certainly none since this much heralded very changeable spell started earlier in the week..
johncs2016
26 April 2019 07:55:41

In the end, a total of 2.6 mm of rain fell during yesterday Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 2.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, thus ending the latest official absolute drought in this area in its 18th day.

In addition to that, a total of 1.2 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 8am this morning along with 0.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 30.4 mm, the total for this spring so far to 110.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 141.6 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 26.0 mm, the total for this spring so far to 103.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 134.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

Given recent events, it is probably hard to believe now that this month actually got off to quite a wet start. However, the recent unofficial absolute drought in this area has now changed all of that and it now looks likely that this month will go down in the end, as yet another drier than average month in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

Having said that though, there is still a very small outside chance that this month could still go down as being wetter than average in terms of the actual rainfall amounts. Whether this happens or not will depend very much on how much rain we get on Saturday from the wrap-around occlusion which is associated with Storm Hannah as the centre of that low pressure system tracks across England and Wales.

Given that the outlook beyond that is a fairly dry one though, we will probably need to get quite a lot of rain from that system if that is to result in this month being anywhere near to being wetter than average in terms of the actual rainfall amounts and I think that this will probably be quite a huge ask although such a scenario can't be totally written off altogether.

Meanwhile for the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, just three more official rain days need to occur between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
26 April 2019 09:54:03

31.3 mm   To Date.

Others just get wet.
sunny coast
26 April 2019 15:55:54
18mm this month to date and only 2mm since this 'unsettled ' spell started on Tue, most of today and yesterday have been quite sunny
ARTzeman
26 April 2019 16:25:21

31.8 mm To Date.

Others just get wet.
PFCSCOTTY
26 April 2019 21:43:14

Originally Posted by: PFCSCOTTY 

Of note...no recorded rainfall in this part of the south coast in 10 days and certainly none since this much heralded very changeable spell started earlier in the week..

it looks like the ground is finally wet this evening...it’s taken 4 days of this so called unsettled spell, but we may record some rainfall at last. 

POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
27 April 2019 05:53:46

25.2mm month to date.

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
johncs2016
27 April 2019 07:43:06
In the end, a total of 2.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 1.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, today has been completely dry (as per usual) at both of those stations so far as at 8am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 31.4 mm, the total for this spring so far to 111.8 mm and the total for this year so far to 142.6 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 27.2 mm, the total for this spring so far to 104.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 135.4 mm as at 8am this morning.

Despite the presence of Storm Hannah nearby, the rain is refusing to fall in this part of the world once again. Because of that, it is clear now that this is going to be yet another drier than average month both in terms of the actual rainfall amounts, and in terms of the number of official rain days. Given the fairly dry outlook beyond that as well, it wouldn't even surprise me one single bit if that was now it for this month in terms of any further rainfall in this part of the world.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
27 April 2019 09:59:53

3.0mm Today.

36.0mm  This Month.

Others just get wet.
Ulric
27 April 2019 10:13:39
I have 8.7mm so far this month, 97.5mm this year.
This compares with 60.0mm and 206.4mm for the same period last year.
2017 was 5.1mm and 133.2mm for the year to date.

It has been an incredibly dry season so far and this follows a very dry second half of 2018. Local farmers grumbling about low soil moisture.
If someone succeeds in provoking you, realise that your own mind is complicit in the provocation. - Epicetus
Russwirral
27 April 2019 18:28:44
johncs2016
28 April 2019 07:09:28

In the end, a total of 5.4 mm of rain fell during yesterday Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 4.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of 1.8 mm of rain has fallen during today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 7am this morning along with 1.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, that takes the total for this month so far to 38.6 mm, the total for this spring so far to 119.6 mm and the total for this year so far to 149.8 mm as at 7am this morning.

This means that at least another 7.6 mm of rain needs to be recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and the end of this month in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

This also means that it is still just possible and no more, for this month to go down as a wetter than average month overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank in terms of the number of official rain days but since today is already an official rain day there, this would require the last two days of this month to also be official rain days there in order for that to happen.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, that takes the total for this month so far to 26.0 mm, the total for this spring so far to 103.4 mm and the total for this year so far to 134.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

This means that at least another 7.4 mm of rain needs to be recorded at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh in order for this month to go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

Since there has already been more official rain days during this month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh than the 1981-2010 April average for there (that scenario has just been sealed as a result of today being an official rain day there), this month will now go down as being wetter than average there overall in terms of the number of official rain days regardless of what happens between now and the end of this month.

Looking ahead, the outlook over the next few days (and therefore, the rest of this month) is now much drier. This makes it highly unlikely that either of those above stations will receive the amounts of rain between now and the end of this month which are required to make this month wetter than average overall in terms of the actual rainfall amounts which means that it this month is still likely to go down in the end as being slightly drier than average at both of those stations in terms of the actual rainfall amounts.

This also makes it unlikely that there will be any more official rain days during this month at either of those stations which means that Edinburgh Gogarbank is likely to come out as being slightly drier than average overall in terms of the number of official rain days.

However, it should be noted that this month's rainfall totals at both of those above stations are only just below that respective station's 1981-2010 April average which means that to all intents and purposes, this has really been more or less, an average month here overall in terms of rainfall.

When you add in the fact that we had rather a wet March, this means that this spring overall is still running a bit wetter than average overall despite the recent unofficial absolute drought in this part of the world.

The next water scarcity report from SEPA will be interesting, but the last one which was issued on 1 April 2019 stated that as a result of the wet March which we had, groundwater levels in this area had at that time more or less returned to normal, although they were still rather low in parts of NE Scotland. Because of this, the water scarcity risk for the coming summer has now been reduced to low, from the previous medium level although that medium level of risk is still in place for parts of NE Scotland.

For this part of the world though, this means that there shouldn't now be any concerns about any hosepipe bans or water shortages even if we do go on to have a decent summer which is hot, dry and sunny.

Russwirral
28 April 2019 09:07:03
45mm yesterday april has seen 74mm... (must have misread on yesterdays results)
P+ve Giant
28 April 2019 11:06:15

Total so far here is 76.7 mm which includes the 44.5 mm that fell yesterday and overnight. Garden well and truly deeply watered 

The local April average here is 55 mm.

John.
ARTzeman
28 April 2019 11:54:40

36.3 mm Total for this month.

Others just get wet.
sunny coast
28 April 2019 12:06:37
april total just under 20mm and only 3mm from this so called unsettled spell
Crepuscular Ray
29 April 2019 06:41:02
After 17 consecutive dry days in April, recent rain at Swanston in the south of Edinburgh has brought the total to 48.1mm
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill