doctormog
03 June 2019 15:38:10

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I was in Naples last Monday and visited Pompeii. Astonishing place.

My understanding (and I also watched a documentary a few months/a year ago) is that the whole Bay of Naples area is a giant Caldera, and the entire area has lifted 2m in the past few years as the magma chamber builds (IIRC, it had only risen 2m in the preceding 60 years)

Oh, and I was on Sicily on Wednesday, a few days before Etna cranked the pyrotechnics back up.

Jealous? Me?

Too right!

Saint Snow
08 June 2019 16:04:20

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Jealous? Me?

Too right!

Not sure what exactly you're jealous of, but if it's Pompeii, then all I can say is try to do it. It's an amazing place.

And get a good tour guide, as they will make your visit. Ours wasn't great, but still conveyed enough to have me absolutely staggered. The scale of the place was overwhelming enough (it's surprisingly massive), but immerse yourself in the facts (eg, it was buried under 10m - yes, metres - of ash and pumice) and it's simply staggering. It was a 'bucket list' thing for me, and actually surpassed expectations. 

But Naples was a absolute dump. We only drove through it, and some parts might be nice, but if you're going to visit, I'd recommend staying further afield, like in Sorrento or along the Amalfi coast. Or, as we did, visit on a cruise.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
08 June 2019 18:52:55

Not sure what exactly you're jealous of, but if it's Pompeii, then all I can say is try to do it. It's an amazing place.

And get a good tour guide, as they will make your visit. Ours wasn't great, but still conveyed enough to have me absolutely staggered. The scale of the place was overwhelming enough (it's surprisingly massive), but immerse yourself in the facts (eg, it was buried under 10m - yes, metres - of ash and pumice) and it's simply staggering. It was a 'bucket list' thing for me, and actually surpassed expectations. 

But Naples was a absolute dump. We only drove through it, and some parts might be nice, but if you're going to visit, I'd recommend staying further afield, like in Sorrento or along the Amalfi coast. Or, as we did, visit on a cruise.

Sorrento is nice, we werethere for New Year about 5 years ago, direct coach from Naples airport avoiding the city, Circumvesuviana railway to Pompeii and Herculaneum, buses along the spectacular corniche road to Amalfi.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Pompeii though when we were there then we felt Herculaneum was even better - the part you can see (most is under the modern town) was less crowded and very well restored whereas restoration of Pompeii seemed to be a matter of putting up scaffolding and a'No entry' sign! The previous boss i/c restoration has however been sacked for diverting funds and the project is now under control of an army man, though.

Off-topic, but 40 years ago we stayed in Naples and then moved on to Palermo. Naples hotelkeeper - You're going to Palermo? But they shoot people in the street!. Palermo hotelkeeper - You've come from Naples? And you haven't been robbed!

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
doctormog
08 June 2019 19:14:02

Not jealous of Naples but Pompeii and Etna are both on my ‘bucket list’ (along with Yellowstone of course!)

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
03 July 2019 19:36:36

Stromboli very active today and this evening. It seems one person has been killed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48857422

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Lionel Hutz
03 July 2019 20:59:38

Not jealous of Naples but Pompeii and Etna are both on my ‘bucket list’ (along with Yellowstone of course!)

I would very much recommend a visit to Naples. So many cities in Europe are almost like open air museums, beautiful but entirely for tourists. Naples is a stunning city but not entirely conquered by tourism. 

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
04 July 2019 06:22:35

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz 

I would very much recommend a visit to Naples. So many cities in Europe are almost like open air museums, beautiful but entirely for tourists. Naples is a stunning city but not entirely conquered by tourism. 

30 years ago, stayed in Naples before taking train on to Palermo, not without a thought for the Campi Flegrei in western Naples where the old caldera was heaving up and down by a metre or two. Apparently the upper strata are relatively strong and managed to restrain the magma moving around underneath - for now.

Innkeeper in Naples "Going to Palermo? They shoot people in the street there!"

Innkeeper in Palermo "From Naples? and you haven't been robbed?"

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
The Beast from the East
04 July 2019 07:54:35

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz 

For those who have Sky subscription or Now TV should watch the series "My Brilliant Friend", an HBO production but entirely in the local Neapolitan dialect. Really captures the mood and politics of the post war period, the corruption, mafia influence, patriarchy etc

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
Chunky Pea
04 July 2019 17:55:11
Hearing reports of an earthquake in Los Angeles in the last hour. Nothing overly major but bigger than what they are commonly used to.
Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
ozone_aurora
28 August 2019 12:23:17

Another explosion occurred on Stromboli

https://twitter.com/NicoleBremner/status/1166661179122601984.

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
28 August 2019 12:40:34
It has been quite active for the past few weeks too but this has been a large explosion.
I would have asked for payment and a byline but she seems happy enough to supply the footage for free.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Roger Parsons
02 October 2019 15:23:58

Interesting piece discussing prediction of a volcanic event:
"Anak Krakatau, the Indonesian island volcano that collapsed last December triggering a huge tsunami, did produce clear warning signals before the event."

Anak Krakatau volcano collapse: 'Warning signs were there'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49907007

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
picturesareme
10 November 2019 21:30:29

Askja has been a little grumpy this week over in Iceland

https://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/vatnajokull/

doctormog
11 November 2019 17:13:24
The suggestion is that the swarm is tectonic in nature rather than volcanic but it is worth monitoring in coming weeks.
picturesareme
12 November 2019 16:12:47

The suggestion is that the swarm is tectonic in nature rather than volcanic but it is worth monitoring in coming weeks.

Nothing official but I've read differently. The pulsating nature of the swarm is more indicative of magma movements.

Saint Snow
12 November 2019 16:15:59

We haven't had a big, climate-impacting eruption for a long while, have we?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
doctormog
12 November 2019 16:45:52

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective the swarm near the Askja volcano is not especially likely to provide one either.

There does seem to be more of a pattern develops to the swarm but the significance of that remains to be seen. I will target much further judgement until I hear from the experts at the IMO. Perhaps things are developing but the tremor data I am looking at do not really scream “eruption” http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/ask.gif

It is however, pardon the pun, a fluid situation.

picturesareme
12 November 2019 18:05:16

Debatable as we currently have higher levels of stratospheric so2 thanks to two eruptions earlier in the year. The so2 has been causing volcanic sunsets across the globe (or at least northern hemisphere) for a few months now. 

picturesareme
12 November 2019 18:06:59

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective the swarm near the Askja volcano is not especially likely to provide one either.

There does seem to be more of a pattern develops to the swarm but the significance of that remains to be seen. I will target much further judgement until I hear from the experts at the IMO. Perhaps things are developing but the tremor data I am looking at do not really scream “eruption” http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/ask.gif

It is however, pardon the pun, a fluid situation.

One source I've read is this is most likely a dyke intrusion and another source says that the officials at the imo ate meeting to discuss what is happening.

The Beast from the East
13 November 2019 09:02:04

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

One source I've read is this is most likely a dyke intrusion 

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President