Roger Parsons
27 December 2023 06:32:17
Climate and disease - an ongoing concern. I'm sure all TWO readers will have a view on this.

"The incremental shifts we're experiencing in terms of our seasons extending may not feel like much in a 12-month period, but over a decade the changes are extremely significant", said Ben McCarthy, head of Nature and Restoration Ecology at the National Trust.

Climate change: Seasonal shifts causing 'chaos' for UK nature
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67705812 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Roger Parsons
27 December 2023 06:34:18
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg26034712-600-we-might-officially-enter-the-anthropocene-epoch-in-2024/ 
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-is-the-anthropocene.html 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Roger Parsons
07 January 2024 20:21:35
Must share this short video: still laughing!!! 🤣
Mouse filmed tidying up man's shed every night
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67902966 
 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Bertwhistle
26 January 2024 13:06:44
Great garden birdwatch this weekend. I know Roger has flagged this up in the past.
Trends over time include significant reductions in greenfinches (which we know about), starlings and house sparrows. The greenfinches and sparrows however have been up-ticking again since 2000.Winners include goldfinches (7th in sighting rank) , long tailed tits and wood pigeons. These last have increased >10 fold since early recordings and the RSPB suggests they could be an internationally significant population here in the UK.

Also mentioned is an overall decline over time in total sightings. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68099428 
 
Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Roger Parsons
26 January 2024 13:41:49
Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Great garden birdwatch this weekend. I know Roger has flagged this up in the past.
Trends over time include significant reductions in greenfinches (which we know about), starlings and house sparrows. The greenfinches and sparrows however have been up-ticking again since 2000.Winners include goldfinches (7th in sighting rank) , long tailed tits and wood pigeons. These last have increased >10 fold since early recordings and the RSPB suggests they could be an internationally significant population here in the UK.

Also mentioned is an overall decline over time in total sightings. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68099428 
 

On regular observation I think we are doing OK here, Bertie - but sometime a GBB count does not live up to expectations. Disappointing when it does that - but they are after national trends, not garden-level successes. I hope our local ravens fly by! 😁
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Roger Parsons
12 February 2024 10:05:06
Something to enjoy... from International Garden Photographer of the Year competition 2024
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-68127991 

The World of Fungi Results
https://igpoty.com/competitions/the-world-of-fungi-competition-17-results/ 
 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Roger Parsons
12 February 2024 21:46:31
Of the 1,189 species assessed, the researchers found one in five are threatened with extinction. For some species the situation is much worse - 97% of fish listed under the convention are at risk.
Amy Fraenkel, the UN Executive Secretary to the convention, told the BBC: "There has been a lack of attention for migratory species and if we don't succeed in turning this around, we will see extinction. There are species that are already on the edge".

Migrating species crucial to planet under threat, says UN
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68254027 
 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
fairweather
13 February 2024 15:22:07
Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Something to enjoy... from International Garden Photographer of the Year competition 2024
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-68127991 

The World of Fungi Results
https://igpoty.com/competitions/the-world-of-fungi-competition-17-results/ 
 


It's a stunning image and piece of artwork. I'm not even sure what qualifies as a "photograph) these days and this wouldn't be allowed in a wildlife photography competition even if the post processing was declared. Personally, I'm fine with it, even if it is in reality a Photoshop skills contest. The end result is still a pleasing work of art. 
S.Essex, 42m ASL
fairweather
13 February 2024 15:50:13
Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Of the 1,189 species assessed, the researchers found one in five are threatened with extinction. For some species the situation is much worse - 97% of fish listed under the convention are at risk.
Amy Fraenkel, the UN Executive Secretary to the convention, told the BBC: "There has been a lack of attention for migratory species and if we don't succeed in turning this around, we will see extinction. There are species that are already on the edge".

Migrating species crucial to planet under threat, says UN
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68254027 
 


Here in South Essex the bird populations have been devastated in terms of diversity. We live in a road that provides a total back garden space of about 200m x 50m with well established shrubs, trees and lawns and my neighbours garden is pretty much rewilded. (unoccupied for four years) plus a nearby woods.
Yet we have, in the last three years lost chaffinches, Greenfinches, Jays and long tailed tits completely. Wrens are much rarer which is surprising given next door's and other nearby habitats. Goldfinches are less common and blackbirds are more a winter visitor than a nesting bird. Bluetits have failed for three consecutive years now although they are common on our and others' feeders.  So the main visitors are House Sparrows(most abundant species), Blue Tits, Great Tits, Starlings, Wood Pigeons,  (record numbers), Collared Doves, Robin, Dunnock ,Magpies, Carrion crows and the occasional Sparrowhawk, Song Thrush and Great Spotted Woodpecker.
Also this year we have seen a Blackcap, a Goldcrest and a Chiffchaff .
In the wider local area Bullfinches and Yellowhammers have completely gone with none being seen in the last couple of years. 
S.Essex, 42m ASL
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
13 February 2024 16:45:24
Originally Posted by: fairweather 

It's a stunning image and piece of artwork. I'm not even sure what qualifies as a "photograph) these days and this wouldn't be allowed in a wildlife photography competition even if the post processing was declared. Personally, I'm fine with it, even if it is in reality a Photoshop skills contest. The end result is still a pleasing work of art. 


It is an amazing piece of artwork. But there are still people who insist that photos should be ‘straight out of the camera’ for them to be true photographs. IMO that’s never been true unless you want to show off your crap images. All photos since the time photography began are manipulated in some way. Look at the Ansel Adams black and white masterpieces. Straight out of the camera? I think not.

And then today your camera phone does a lot of magic before you even see the image on your screen. And I’m not even talking about smoothing skins and making your nose the right shape. Photoshop is merely a development in the art of image making. Just like traditional wet dark room skills can make a great photo from a mediocre negative or slide. Composition of course helps.
Are these real photographs? Or should a photograph be merely taken with just one shutter speed?
https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-focus-stacking-in-photography/ 
 
Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Roger Parsons
13 February 2024 17:19:59
Originally Posted by: fairweather 

It's a stunning image and piece of artwork. I'm not even sure what qualifies as a "photograph) these days and this wouldn't be allowed in a wildlife photography competition even if the post processing was declared. Personally, I'm fine with it, even if it is in reality a Photoshop skills contest. The end result is still a pleasing work of art. 

I remember the days where the only question for me was whether I wanted film for 24 or 36 photos!!!!😁 These days anyone can take huge quantities of remarkably good images. I'm not sure quantity is the same of quality, but hey - pancakes tonight! 😉
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Roger Parsons
13 February 2024 17:31:02
Lincolnshire: Edlington, near Horncastle: Snowdrop Festival next weekend.
https://www.lincolnshireworld.com/news/people/snowdrop-festival-to-return-next-weekend-4498339 
 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
fairweather
13 February 2024 20:44:03
Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

I remember the days where the only question for me was whether I wanted film for 24 or 36 photos!!!!😁 These days anyone can take huge quantities of remarkably good images. I'm not sure quantity is the same of quality, but hey - pancakes tonight! 😉


Mmm. Stopped at 2 but I'd forgotten how moorish they are 😁
S.Essex, 42m ASL
fairweather
13 February 2024 22:34:30
Originally Posted by: NMA 

It is an amazing piece of artwork. But there are still people who insist that photos should be ‘straight out of the camera’ for them to be true photographs. IMO that’s never been true unless you want to show off your crap images. All photos since the time photography began are manipulated in some way. Look at the Ansel Adams black and white masterpieces. Straight out of the camera? I think not.

And then today your camera phone does a lot of magic before you even see the image on your screen. And I’m not even talking about smoothing skins and making your nose the right shape. Photoshop is merely a development in the art of image making. Just like traditional wet dark room skills can make a great photo from a mediocre negative or slide. Composition of course helps.
Are these real photographs? Or should a photograph be merely taken with just one shutter speed?
https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-focus-stacking-in-photography/ 
 


I agree with all of that. With digital there would just be an unrecognisable load of dots of colour without computer interference as you say. The main thing is that you don't try and deceive people with the final image making out it is something it isn't. The bottom line is it it's your image and you are entitled to do what you want with it.
S.Essex, 42m ASL
Roger Parsons
19 February 2024 17:39:41
Emotional moment chimpanzee mother reunited with her baby
In this clip she is already in the room. She doesn't realise her baby is wrapped up on the floor. She had an emergency C section two days previously, so the baby had been away from her for 2 days.
Get the hankies out...
https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2022/nov/18/emotional-moment-chimpanzee-mother-reunited-with-her-baby-video 

 
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
19 February 2024 18:11:47
I saw a frog out of hibernation today
War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Bertwhistle
21 February 2024 18:24:22
Originally Posted by: DEW 

I saw a frog out of hibernation today



We have frogspawn which marvellously, since we cleared the pond in December, is all below the surface so hopefully won't freeze.
They'd been croaking a while.
Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
speckledjim
21 February 2024 18:31:24
Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

We have frogspawn which marvellously, since we cleared the pond in December, is all below the surface so hopefully won't freeze.
They'd been croaking a while.


I've had my pond extended and new liner put in so it's bare at the moment. I was very pleased so to see frog spawn and frogs in it yesterday
Thorner, West Yorkshire


Journalism is organised gossip
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
22 February 2024 07:32:35
Important discovery on whale song
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68358414 
War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Roger Parsons
23 February 2024 17:45:24
A naturalist friend reports seeing an adder basking in today's sunshine! 😲 Near Woodhall Spa.
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Users browsing this topic

    Ads