Rob K
12 July 2021 15:34:25
Plenty of thunder around today, with some storms breaking out in the London area in the past hour. Still dry here.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

The Beast from the East
12 July 2021 15:49:20

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Plenty of thunder around today, with some storms breaking out in the London area in the past hour. Still dry here.

Yes, I coped it full on. one of the best T storms I have seen for years. Localised flooding in town


"We have some alternative facts for you"

Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President

lanky
12 July 2021 16:11:36

Been hammering it down with thunder and lightening for getting for an hour here now

would expect some local problems with big puddles


Martin

Richmond, Surrey

The Beast from the East
12 July 2021 16:22:59

Major event in west london. I think we were lucky here!

 


"We have some alternative facts for you"

Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President

splinter
12 July 2021 16:32:05

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

 

Yes, I coped it full on. one of the best T storms I have seen for years. Localised flooding in town

 

Dry just down the road here in Croydon, although regular rumbles of thunder.


Croydon, South London
Rob K
12 July 2021 16:37:59
Haven't even heard any thunder yet although looks like some showers are breaking out only a few miles to the east.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
12 July 2021 17:22:27

Beautiful cloudscapes today in the brief times I was outside but the thunder and lightning remains an elusive phenomena for me.


Vale of the Great Dairies

South Dorset

Elevation 60m 197ft

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
12 July 2021 20:05:08

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Beautiful cloudscapes today in the brief times I was outside but the thunder and lightning remains an elusive phenomena for me.

Newsreel footage of serious flooding in Bournemouth and Poole from last night's rain, cars submerged etc.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/19437380.flooding-causes-disruption-dorset/ 

This afternoon 3 pm, a very local storm in Chichester. I set out in the dry, passed through an area where it was tipping down and out of the other side dry again, Only a mile in it and the same on the way back nearly an hour later.

Then things livened up with several claps of thunder. The remarkable thing was that our robocat (purrs when you stroke it, miaows when the lights are turned on and off or  when the TV is switched on) was giving a miaow each time there was a flash of lightning even though that flash was not visible to the eye, just heard the thunder.


"The most severe frost last night and this morning as I ever felt  ... the water upstairs in the basins froze in a few minutes after being put there this morn". Parson Woodforde's Diary, 14th January 1792, Norfolk

Chichester 12m asl

Sevendust
12 July 2021 20:20:08

Thunder here between 1800/1900z today. Storms were towards Bordon but little rain here

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
13 July 2021 06:14:55

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Newsreel footage of serious flooding in Bournemouth and Poole from last night's rain, cars submerged etc.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/19437380.flooding-causes-disruption-dorset/ 

This afternoon 3 pm, a very local storm in Chichester. I set out in the dry, passed through an area where it was tipping down and out of the other side dry again, Only a mile in it and the same on the way back nearly an hour later.

Then things livened up with several claps of thunder. The remarkable thing was that our robocat (purrs when you stroke it, miaows when the lights are turned on and off or  when the TV is switched on) was giving a miaow each time there was a flash of lightning even though that flash was not visible to the eye, just heard the thunder.

It must have been quite an experience in the conurbation yesterday. I mentioned some spectacular cloudscapes but when I went to lock up last night I noticed that the plastic rain gauge was overflowing with at least 60mm of rain. Some must have fallen early morning but we had some Mooominian downpours in the evening that even my daughter commented on.

The other thing DEW your robocat. Two late aunts used to have something that was marketed to them as a 'Sleepy Pussy' which when placed on ones lap purred and vibrated if stroked... I'm going to hazard a guess that your 'robocat' is merely an advanced version of what they had in the early 2000's?

 


Vale of the Great Dairies

South Dorset

Elevation 60m 197ft

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
13 July 2021 06:47:37

Originally Posted by: NMA 

The other thing DEW your robocat. Two late aunts used to have something that was marketed to them as a 'Sleepy Pussy' which when placed on ones lap purred and vibrated if stroked... I'm going to hazard a guess that your 'robocat' is merely an advanced version of what they had in the early 2000's?

I think their version is still on sale, but the upgrade lifts its paw and turns its head along with the miaows and purrs.


"The most severe frost last night and this morning as I ever felt  ... the water upstairs in the basins froze in a few minutes after being put there this morn". Parson Woodforde's Diary, 14th January 1792, Norfolk

Chichester 12m asl

sunny coast
13 July 2021 07:23:42
Rumbling around here yesterday between 2 and 4 with one massive overhead crack
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
13 July 2021 08:25:34
I was amazed that we missed all of the action yesterday. Hardly a drop all day. Just a few miles to our south and east they experienced a couple of hours of heavy rain. My wife's return from London after work, typically an hour door to door took 2.5 hours due to flooding on the tubes and signal failures on the trains.
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)

Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)

lanky
13 July 2021 08:41:28

Originally Posted by: GezM 

I was amazed that we missed all of the action yesterday. Hardly a drop all day. Just a few miles to our south and east they experienced a couple of hours of heavy rain. My wife's return from London after work, typically an hour door to door took 2.5 hours due to flooding on the tubes and signal failures on the trains.

Looking at the radar echoes it was quite a narrow band of intense rain running approx NE/SW crossing NW and SW London and the W suburbs out to Slough or thereabouts

Heavy rain and frequent thunder and lightning here from about 16:00-17:30 yesterday with Kew Gardens recording 48.4mm which was enough to close Richmond Station due to flooding

 


Martin

Richmond, Surrey

ozone_aurora
Bolty
19 July 2021 13:47:42
Quite a bit of vertical development in the clouds here. I wonder if there could be a few surprise showers or even isolated thunderstorms this evening?
Scott

Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.

My weather station 

warrenb
19 July 2021 14:20:25

Skies very dark down here now. Seems a small Storm has developed to my SE.


picturesareme
19 July 2021 14:39:20
Got to laugh when the isolated shower risk was meant to be to the west of the region on metoffice forecast, and yet a significant line of storms has broken out to the east of region.
warrenb
19 July 2021 14:51:43
Almost constant distant thunder here now. Raining as well.
Hippydave
19 July 2021 15:12:24

Few spots of rain and fairly regular rumbles of thunder here for last half hour or so but looks like I'm just out of the little activity line at the moment.


Home: Tunbridge Wells

Work: Sevenoaks

Users browsing this topic

    Ads