Christmas 2013: Changeable weather?
Christmas weather forecast introduction
Welcome to our dedicated Christmas 2013 weather forecast page. This year as well as the regularly updated hand crafted forecast we've added in a new section called 'The computer says'. This is an automatically generated outlook which updates every day using only computer model data and it may suggest a very different picture to the hand crafted forecast. Who will be right? .
High pressure continues to dominate the weather but it is looking as though a change to more mobile and unsettled conditions will develop in the next 10 days. This is likely to mean more mild weather in the south, but possibly lead to colder incursions in the north. Christmas day is now also in range of the GFS/GEFS computer model and it seems to be favouring quite an unsettled pattern.
How does this impact the Xmas forecast?
The fourteenth update reduces the chance of a White Christmas marginally for the north and significantly for the south. With a more mobile pattern looking more likely nationwide the highest chance of brief colder incursions will be in the north with the south generally quite mild.
Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below!
Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day
North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 18%
South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 14%
Update 14, 09/12/2013
The computer says [Issued 10/12/2013 03:00:30]
The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
- It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
- Cold but dry conditions are expected in Wales
- It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands.
- It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.
- It's expected to be too mild for snow in Scotland.
- It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.
- It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Republic of Ireland.
- Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Netherlands