Rob K
22 January 2021 10:17:44
Very strange. If I just go to weathercast.co.uk (using Edge browser) I get the normal Weathercast page.

Works fine on Chrome too.

Sounds almost like a DNS hijack but only affecting some users?
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Essan
22 January 2021 10:18:46

I can access the data from Meteoservices.be but any attempt to access the English (Weathercast) site just redirects to weatherpro.

Edit: and that is using chrome

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
johncs2016
22 January 2021 10:26:24
One thing which I have discovered about the Belgian site with the weathercast data is that you need to be careful with how you interpret the wind directions due to everything being in either Dutch or French.

However, you just need to remember that a 'Z' is used instead of an 'S' for south with an 'o' being used instead of an 'E' for east.

Both north and west are as we would use them so if you remember that, everything should work fine there.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
noodle doodle
22 January 2021 10:57:05
SEPA will be off line for a while - they're (rightly) refusing to pay a ransom for their lost data

https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/18/scottish_environment_protection_agency_refuses_to_pay_ransom/ 

"It is now clear that "recovery may take a significant period" and a "number of SEPA systems will remain badly affected for some time, with new systems required"."

lanky
22 January 2021 11:24:11

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Very strange. If I just go to weathercast.co.uk (using Edge browser) I get the normal Weathercast page.

Works fine on Chrome too.

Sounds almost like a DNS hijack but only affecting some users?

I think you could be right there

That's the only reason I can think why the same url gives the right result on my own PC bookmark but when copied exactly to TWO redirects to weatherpro

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
johncs2016
22 January 2021 11:29:37

Originally Posted by: noodle doodle 

SEPA will be off line for a while - they're (rightly) refusing to pay a ransom for their lost data

https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/18/scottish_environment_protection_agency_refuses_to_pay_ransom/

"It is now clear that "recovery may take a significant period" and a "number of SEPA systems will remain badly affected for some time, with new systems required"."

Of course, I fully understand that SEPA need to take as much time as they need to in order to sort this issue out properly.

However, it's just such a shame that this has happened as they have been been very good at providing the rainfall data not just for the major stations such as Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic Gardens in Edinburgh, but also for a number of local stations in Edinburgh such as Colinton and Murrayburn.

However, I'm sure that SEPA will come back even bigger and better when they do get everything sorted out.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
22 January 2021 11:44:31
I would like to know what's up with the Parallel run on wetter and Meteociel.fr:

Meteociel:

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?runpara=1 

Wetterzentrale:

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?map=1&model=gfs&var=1&time=6&run=6&lid=PARA&h=0&tr=6&mv=0 

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

ozone_aurora
22 January 2021 11:55:07

Weathercast used to have a really good rainfall radar images, with zooming facilities, plus lightning animations of certain European countries (Netherlands, Germany). However, this stopped at some point in 2016, & hasn't been so good since (at least not what I noticed on my browsers). 

johncs2016
22 January 2021 12:08:19
As a quick update, I have now tried to go to my usual weathercast links on my Android phone by using Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, but I still got the same results with that as what I got on my main PC.

I will add though that there are certain parts of the weathercast site which requires the now deprecated and obsolete Flash plug in and so, it probably badly needs to be redesigned and brought up to more modern standards in any case.
POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
22 January 2021 12:59:24

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

As a quick update, I have now tried to go to my usual weathercast links on my Android phone by using Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, but I still got the same results with that as what I got on my main PC.

I will add though that there are certain parts of the weathercast site which requires the now deprecated and obsolete Flash plug in and so, it probably badly needs to be redesigned and brought up to more modern standards in any case.

You probably have these bookmarked, but just in case.

Decoded synop reports (ogimet.com)

Temperature, Table: UK/Europe : Current weather (weatheronline.co.uk)

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
Retron
22 January 2021 16:59:38

For those of a technical mind, it looks like Weathercast now serves up a 301 redirect to WeatherPro - and that's server side, so can't be avoided.

A shame, as their ECM ensemble graphs were pretty decent.

Leysdown, north Kent
Gandalf The White
22 January 2021 17:12:48

Originally Posted by: Retron 

For those of a technical mind, it looks like Weathercast now serves up a 301 redirect to WeatherPro - and that's server side, so can't be avoided.

A shame, as their ECM ensemble graphs were pretty decent.

You can still get to the ensemble charts via Meteociel, which links to Meteo24 and gives the same location options.

http://www.meteo24.fr/fr/home/meteo-france-et-europe/passion-meteo/ensemble-de-previsions.html?eps=london

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

johncs2016
22 January 2021 17:40:08

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

You can still get to the ensemble charts via Meteociel, which links to Meteo24 and gives the same location options.

http://www.meteo24.fr/fr/home/meteo-france-et-europe/passion-meteo/ensemble-de-previsions.html?eps=london

Incidentally, I have just gone to their weather station data from the above link and although that only really covers France, I have been able to get the same data from there for my three local stations here in Edinburgh as what I was previously able to get at weathercast, just by replacing the numeric part of the resulting URL with the WMO number of the station in question.

That is therefore, another option which is available and it might well be a good idea to keep a few f these links as a backup just in case anything goes wrong with one of them. However, it is weird that these European sites are working well whereas wethercast (which is actually just the UK version of these other sites) isn't.

Of coursr, I don't want to get political in any way, but I'm wondering if this is somebody trying to get their own back on us after Brexit.

Cumbrian Snowman
22 January 2021 19:40:46
All my links dont work now aswell - I had all the Cumbria Weather Stations setup on a webpage I run so I can view easily, all now not working. Lot of work ahead to find an alternative
Cumbrian Snowman
22 January 2021 19:52:27

Incidentally, I have just gone to their weather station data from the above link and although that only really covers France, I have been able to get the same data from there for my three local stations here in Edinburgh as what I was previously able to get at weathercast, just by replacing the numeric part of the resulting URL with the WMO number of the station in question.

That is therefore, another option which is available and it might well be a good idea to keep a few f these links as a backup just in case anything goes wrong with one of them. However, it is weird that these European sites are working well whereas wethercast (which is actually just the UK version of these other sites) isn't.

Of coursr, I don't want to get political in any way, but I'm wondering if this is somebody trying to get their own back on us after Brexit.

Hi - could you give me an example of a link on how you did it please, thanks

johncs2016
22 January 2021 20:35:36

Originally Posted by: Cumbrian Snowman 

Hi - could you give me an example of a link on how you did it please, thanks

For the French site, you go to 'http://www.meteo24.fr/fr/home/meteo-france-et-europe/temps-dans-le-monde/stations-meteo/obsid/[WMO].html' replacing '[WMO]' with the WMO number for your station and for the Belgian site, you go to 'http://www.meteoservices.be/be/home/weer/weer-wereldwijd/waarnemingen/obsid/[WMO].html'', again replacing '[WMO]' with the WMO number your station.

As an example, the WMO number for Edinburgh Gogarbank is 3166 which means that for the Belgian site, I just need to go to http://www.meteoservices.be/be/home/weer/weer-wereldwijd/waarnemingen/obsid/3166.html and for the French site, I would go to http://www.meteo24.fr/fr/home/meteo-france-et-europe/temps-dans-le-monde/stations-meteo/obsid/3166.html to get the same data for Edinburgh Gogarbank in both cases.

You then just need to replace that number 3166 with the WMO number for your own local station in both cases.

I hope that this helps.

Retron
23 January 2021 05:50:10

Hanlon's razor.

Or, in other words, it's far more likely that some management type decided the websites are all old fashioned and they're moving them to the newer trendy, dumbed-down type.

Make the most of the French and Dutch sites would be my advice, as almost certainly they'll be moved over too in due course.

Leysdown, north Kent
johncs2016
23 January 2021 07:02:09

Hanlon's razor.

Or, in other words, it's far more likely that some management type decided the websites are all old fashioned and they're moving them to the newer trendy, dumbed-down type.

Make the most of the French and Dutch sites would be my advice, as almost certainly they'll be moved over too in due course.

It will be a very sad day if and when that happens as this data has always been very valuable to a lot of people and it would be a real shame to lose that.

Having said that, no part of any site should be requiring the use of the old and outdated Flash Plugin these days and so, I can see why these sites need to be redesigned and brought properly up to date.

Let's just hope that when they do that, we will still end up having some way of being able to access that data, even if this has to be done in a different manner.

Frank H
28 January 2021 10:38:42

I can no longer access the French and Dutch sites today to view my local stations data.

Probably taken down because they can't get the vaccine !

Wrightington, Wigan
johncs2016
28 January 2021 10:45:11

Hanlon's razor.

Originally Posted by: Frank H 

I can no longer access the French and Dutch sites today to view my local stations data.

Probably taken down because they can't get the vaccine !

I can now inform everyone that as from this morning, both of the French and Belgian weathercast clones have now gone, and are redirecting to weatherpro.com in that respective country.

This means that unless anyone can come up any of these sites from a different country which may well still be working, it is now no longer  possible to access that data in any way.

This also means that I am now, not able to post the latest update on the PW thread which I was about to give, as I no longer have any way of getting any live rainfall data for each hour as it happens as I was before.

I could of course resort to using the SYNOPS data from weatherobs.com, meteomanz.com or ogimet.com but I'm not sure that this fits in very well with the 09:00 UTC to 09:00 UTC time frame which is normally used for reporting each day's rainfall data and which I had rec ently been adapting to.

EDIT

There is also weatheronline.co.uk, but that only goes up to end of the previous day (not sure if that is based on 90:00 UTC to 09:00 UTC or not) and doesn't give me the live rainfall data which I was previously able to get from weathercast and from SEPA.