johncs2016
01 January 2020 12:35:24

This will be the first PW thread not just of this year, but also of this decade.

December was quite interesting because although that looked as though it was going to be a very wet month here, that ended up being not all that wet at all here, and was even drier than average in the end at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh due to an exceptionally dry second half of the month.

The latest model output appears to show that there isn't much in the way of rainfall coming up either, at least in the more reliable time frame and although it could become more unsettled further down the down, even that is only speculative as a result of that being in the unreliable time frame.

This means that despite the fact we haven't had a drier than average season here since the winter of 2018/19, this winter could actually end up continuing our run of drier than average winters which we are currently in as this month could very well, end up being our first drier than average month at both Edinburgh Gogarbank and the botanic gardens in Edinburgh since April 2019.

Of course, that might not necessarily be how it actually turns out and of course, it may well be different again in your own neck of the woods. However it all turns out though, this is the very place to post those all important totals for this month although I will stress once again that this thread is only for more general precipitation reports as there is another thread on this forum for discussing and reporting any flooding issues which take place during this winter.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
01 January 2020 14:40:48

0.3mm For day One.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
02 January 2020 10:54:51

0.3 mm Yesterday

0.3 mm Today

0.6mm This Month

Others just get wet.
ktaylor
02 January 2020 11:00:30

Rain since midnight 0.2mm

0.4mm last 24hr

Total so far is  0.4mm.

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
johncs2016
02 January 2020 17:32:19

A total of 3.4 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am this morning, along with 2.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 5pm this evening.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 3.4 mm, the total for this winter to 73.0 mm and the total for this year to 3.4 mm as at 5pm this evening.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 2.2 mm, the total for this winter to 51.2 mm and the total for this year to 2.2 mm as at 5pm this evening.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
03 January 2020 10:56:03

1.4 mm This Month

Others just get wet.
ktaylor
04 January 2020 07:28:59

Total for this month now 4.4mm. 

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
ARTzeman
06 January 2020 13:47:28

1.5 mmLast Hour

2.4 mm This Month

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
06 January 2020 15:10:45

2 . 7  mm  Today

4.1 mm This Month. 

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
06 January 2020 19:13:07
A total of 3.0 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am this morning, along with 1.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 6pm this evening.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 6.4 mm, the total for this winter to 76.0 mm and the total for this year to 6.4 mm as at 6pm this evening.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 3.8 mm, the total for this winter to 52.8 mm and the total for this year to 3.8 mm as at 6pm this evening.

This is not turning out to be a very wet start to this month in this part of the world which means that whilst the immediate outlook might well look a bit more unsettled than what it was a day or so ago, nothing is happening just now to change my earlier prediction that this could well be our first drier than average month at both of those stations since last April.

johncs2016
07 January 2020 14:00:11
A total of 3.2 mm of rain fell at Edinburgh Gogarbank during the 24 hour period up until 9am this morning, along with 2.0 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

In addition to that, a total of 1.8 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am this morning, along with 1.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 1pm this afternoon.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 8.6 mm, the total for this winter to 78.2 mm and the total for this year to 8.6 mm as at 1pm this afternoon.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 5.4 mm, the total for this winter to 54.4 mm and the total for this year to 5.4 mm as at 1pm this afternoon.

ARTzeman
07 January 2020 14:11:33

4.4 mm This Month.

Others just get wet.
idj20
07 January 2020 14:21:16

3.2 mm in this first week of January. Here's hoping the rest of this winter continue in this vein and then we go onto having some useful Spring showers to green up my lawn ahead of the Summer. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
08 January 2020 08:46:06
A total of 6.6 mm of rain has fallen at Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am yesterday morning, along with 5.4 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh as at 8am this morning.

For Edinburgh Gogarbank, this brings the total for this month to 13.2 mm, the total for this winter to 82.8 mm and the total for this year to 13.2 mm as at 8am this morning.

For the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, this brings the total for this month to 9.4 mm, the total for this winter to 58.4 mm and the total for this year to 9.4 mm as at 8am this morning.
ARTzeman
08 January 2020 09:44:44

0.3  mm  Today

4.7  mm  This Month 

Others just get wet.
Andy J
08 January 2020 15:50:14

Still zero rainfall for January here.  In fact no measurable rainfall here since Boxing Day night.  That looks likely to change tonight with some proper rain coming in.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
speckledjim
08 January 2020 17:40:24
A dry month thus far with only 0.8mm of rain.
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
speckledjim
09 January 2020 08:08:10
now up to 14.2mm after last night's heavy rain
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
09 January 2020 09:16:29

Rainfall this month here to time of posting has been 6.6mm, which is drier than average.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
ARTzeman
09 January 2020 10:57:05

0.9 mm Yesterday

o.9 mm  Today

6.2 mm  This Month

Others just get wet.