Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ulric  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2019 10:01:52(UTC)
Ulric

United Kingdom

"If Europe were united in the sharing of its common inheritance, there would be no limit to the happiness, to the prosperity and the glory which its people would enjoy."

- Winston Churchill 1946

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your TheWeatherOutlook forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Bugglesgate  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2019 10:42:21(UTC)
Bugglesgate

Originally Posted by: Ulric Go to Quoted Post

<party pooper mode>

Erm,  I know ol' farts my age used to play with mercury in the   school physics lab, but times have changed.    Best of luck getting that quantity of mercury and when it all goes horribly wrong best of luck trying to get someone to clear up the mess  without having to take a 2nd mortgage out  </party pooper mode>

Aside from that, fascinating vid though 

Chris

Between Newbury and Basingstoke

"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"

Offline DEW  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2019 10:57:02(UTC)
DEW

Man

Mercury pumps were standard in the 60s in the research labs at Cambridge coupled to large glass manifolds for manipulating volatile compounds.

A friend of mine, a brilliant chemist but not so hot on the practical side, once turned the wrong tap on his manifold and admitted most of the mercury in the system into the manifold with 1 atm pressure behind it. There was a couple of meters of straight-run manifold for the mercury to pick up speed and when it got to the right angle bend at the end it had no intention of stopping!

Consequence: a shower of mercury all over the lab. After the worst had been cleaned up mechanically, a great deal of sulphur was then scattered around - mercury sulphide is involatile and so not to any great extent dangerous. While this was happening, no research could continue, so my friend's name was mud!

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline Ulric  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2019 16:57:54(UTC)
Ulric

United Kingdom

One of the tools I've had since my early twenties is a set of 4 mercury column vacuum gauges for balancing carburettors on 4 cylinder motorcycles.

There is quite a big mercury reservoir on the bottom of the set. I could probably be arrested for possession of them these days!

"If Europe were united in the sharing of its common inheritance, there would be no limit to the happiness, to the prosperity and the glory which its people would enjoy."

- Winston Churchill 1946

Offline Bugglesgate  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2019 17:52:51(UTC)
Bugglesgate

I know a few enthusiasts who have these tucked away :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjMZ5qtyCUc

100% safe until you break them (or touch  a live terminal ) 

They will also give you a sun tan  - what's not to like

Chris

Between Newbury and Basingstoke

"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"

Offline Saint Snow  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2019 12:46:23(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

I assumed this was going to be about a different sort of vaccuum pump

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01