Arcus
23 July 2019 19:03:53

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

It’s not a given for any particular area even at this late stage but the blend of ppn output from the 12Z models didn’t really initiate activity into the SW until after 22.00hrs anyway.
I don’t understand the comments sometimes.

Note: Ben does a great job on these nowcast convection threads and shows impressive patience - the four hour vigil in SW Arkansas obviously helped 😉🌪

As did your driving avoiding fallen branches Neil... still wish we'd caught that tornado to this day...

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 19:04:19
Thank you Arcus. It''s been a long wait for anything thundery in this part of the UK. The last four thunder warning's this summer have come to nought for this neck of the woods. So fingers crossed tonight will be the night. Looks promising to the south.
Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
nsrobins
23 July 2019 19:26:40

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

As did your driving avoiding fallen branches Neil... still wish we'd caught that tornado to this day...

We weren’t that far away 😉 I’ve been fortunate enough (less skill lol) to grab several since then.

You are surely well overdue a return? 

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Arcus
23 July 2019 19:30:11

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

We weren’t that far away 😉 I’ve been fortunate enough (less skill lol) to grab several since then.

You are surely well overdue a return? 

Too right... As long as there's a bowl of fruit in it for me....

Ben,
30m asl
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 19:40:54

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Thank you Arcus. It''s been a long wait for anything thundery in this part of the UK. The last four thunder warning's this summer have come to nought for this neck of the woods. So fingers crossed tonight will be the night. Looks promising to the south.

Same here!  We’ve missed them all this year, although we’ve come close as I’ve heard thunder on a couple of occasions.  Maybe tonight!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Crepuscular Ray
23 July 2019 19:42:51
Lots of medium level instability forming here and suddenly a very gusty SE wind which is providing a bit of relief!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Crepuscular Ray
23 July 2019 19:43:35
By the way, 'here' is Otley in Yorkshire
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Arcus
23 July 2019 19:53:34
You can almost hear the elastic noise of those convective areas straining against the capping to go full blown. As Neil rightly said, patience into the night...
Ben,
30m asl
roadrunnerajn
23 July 2019 19:59:45
Whilst here in west Cornwall we will watch the activity pass just to our east ... as usual.
Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
Arcus
23 July 2019 20:23:21
Wow. 0 to 60 on the Cherbourg Peninsula.
Ben,
30m asl
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 20:25:44
Signs of life to close to the Channel Islands as well. Is the cap finally being eroded away? âš¡
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Arcus
23 July 2019 20:30:00

Despite me dismissing that initial band tracking NNE earlier today, it is now intensifying somewhat west of Leicester. One to watch.

Ben,
30m asl
Russwirral
23 July 2019 20:37:22
Models predicted the storms off the north coast of spain would bubble up... dissipate and be replaced by new storms off north coast of france.....

Storms have dissipated ...now looking for new cell formation ... its evolving to plan right now
Arcus
23 July 2019 20:43:20
I suspect some in the SE that were not in the warning area from the MetO might see something tonight. Those developing storms are heading toward the coast Brighton to Bognor.
Ben,
30m asl
Arcus
23 July 2019 20:44:40
Cheeky orographic cell in S Wales now as well.
Ben,
30m asl
Bugglesgate
23 July 2019 20:44:40

Originally Posted by: Arcus 

Wow. 0 to 60 on the Cherbourg Peninsula.

If anything, they are intensifying as they move out into the channel.

Chris (It,its)
Between Newbury and Basingstoke
"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"
Russwirral
23 July 2019 20:44:53
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2019 20:52:26
Yes sudden explosion of cells happening now. One in Wales and two more south of Swansea.

Here we go!
Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Arcus
23 July 2019 21:01:42

Originally Posted by: Bugglesgate 

If anything, they are intensifying as they move out into the channel.

Indeed they are, and backbuilding as they go. Impressive strike rates given the footprint.

Ben,
30m asl
thor22
23 July 2019 21:03:26
One to watch

https://camsecure.co.uk/portsmouth_harbour_webcam.html 
Rob
Marple
SE Manchester