Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Roger Parsons  
#21 Posted : 14 June 2019 09:05:29(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz Go to Quoted Post

Well, to be fair, Devonian started the "Ash" thread, so we should thank him too! By and large, we've got very good people posting here in this forum but (mostly)without the argy-bargy that we sometimes get on UIA.

You are right, Lionel. Thanks Dev - your stuff is always a welcome read - and I was interested to hear of your local horse chestnut survivors.

We have a bonzai horse chestnut tree we grew from a conker and every year we are outraged when it shows signs of leaf miners. A bit of leaf picking solves the small scale problem. However, I will never forget the leaf miner damage I once saw in Romania where an entire avenue of mature horse chestnuts had been attacked. At that time I had not encountered the problem in the UK.

Roger

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline Caz  
#22 Posted : 15 June 2019 09:28:06(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Yes, it’s a very pleasant thread to be in - the posters, not the subject!  

I think we need to keep asking questions about what we know and dig deeper to find out more.  (No pun intended)  There are some interesting responses that have raised more questions for me.  I agree humans have introduced pests and diseases, for example we planted forests full of trees after the First World War and I wonder where they came from.

We tend to think of lifetime as being three score years and ten, but for trees it’s hundreds of years and having a little understanding of evolution makes me question what might have affected trees of previous (tree) generations.  We know the climate has changed over the centuries so trees must have adapted and evolved - bearing in mind that one tree generation can be ten times longer than a human generation, do trees have to evolve and adapt ten times more quickly?  What other adaptations have they made?  Disease resistance?  We didn’t understand the science of pathogens hundreds of years ago.

Edited by user 15 June 2019 09:49:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline Roger Parsons  
#23 Posted : 08 July 2019 10:53:06(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

This struck me a relevant story: some stunning images...
The plants suited to climate change:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/HVJMVYKmjp/seeds-of-life

Roger

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline Northern Sky  
#24 Posted : 22 September 2019 17:45:53(UTC)
Northern Sky

Has anybody else noticed Horse Chestnut trees with almost completely dying brown leaves? There seem to be quite a few near me including lots on a particular stretch of road. I'm pretty certain it's not just an early Autumn change of colouring because there are others unaffected.

Offline Northern Sky  
#25 Posted : 22 September 2019 17:54:47(UTC)
Northern Sky

Ah, just reading Roger's link  - probably leaf miner damage.

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Offline Caz  
#26 Posted : 23 September 2019 03:56:57(UTC)
Caz

Woman

Originally Posted by: Northern Sky Go to Quoted Post

Ah, just reading Roger's link  - probably leaf miner damage.

Yes, that’s a familiar sight here too.  I noticed this last year and put it down to the long hot, dry summer we had.  It’s been dry this summer too so I put the early browning of Horse Chestnut leaf down to a natural water preservation mechanism.  Leaf Miner is a more likely explanation. 

It’s worth reading Roger’s ‘Triad’ post and considering the environmental change they’ve undergone.  I’d think the triad model applies to pests as well as disease.  Horse Chestnut isn’t a native tree and has only been around in the UK for 300 years or so.

SHOW EXTERNAL IMAGES

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline DEW  
#27 Posted : 23 September 2019 06:35:53(UTC)
DEW

Man

I think probably leaf miner, too. I've seen it on several trees this summer, but to be more cheerful, leaf miner was big in Chichester 3 or 4 years back but has largely subsided and we are no longer faced with panicky calls to fell the lot.

If whole branches are dying back then it's probably due to 'bleeding canker', a bacterial infection, which does kill a proportion of those trees infected

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline The Beast from the East  
#28 Posted : 23 September 2019 08:27:55(UTC)
The Beast from the East

Man

Same here for the ones in my garden. We had baby conkers early in the summer. Same thing happened for previous two summers. Feel sorry for the Squirrels!

"We have some alternative facts for you"

Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President

Offline DEW  
#29 Posted : 29 September 2019 11:06:29(UTC)
DEW

Man

The Times had a piece yesterday with a worry about Horse chestnut trees. Quotes, since behind a paywall "The leaf-miner moth and the horse chestnut scale insectmare attacking the leaves of the trees, which are also at risk from a fungus called leaf blotch and bleeding canker bacteria"; "The trees face the greatest threat in their native Greece, Bulgaria, Albania and Macedonia, where they are rated as 'vulnerable' by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature." None of these pests/diseases are AFAIK new to Europe, but seem to be combining in a synergistic mode, one of them weakening the tree allowing others to join in an attack. Warmer and wetter summers maybe? 

Leaf miner seems to come and go in this area from my own observations, and I have also seen some trees with canker recover. So perhaps N Europe will become the natural habitat for the chestnut?

And while on the subject of trees, I notice that Hillier Nurseries have  a variety of elm tree 'New Horizon' which resists Dutch Elm Didease (how appropriate that the acronym is DED!), now available for planting. https://www.hillier.co.uk/trees/case-studies/resisting-dutch-elm-disease-with-ulmus-new-horizon/ The link mentions other 'Resista' varieties and I hope that these also prove popular. Otherwise too much dependence on one clone spells trouble when the next disease turns up.

There's also a press release about a Government programme for finding varieties of ash resistant to dieback, but like so many press releases seems more concerned with showing the Government in a favourable light than outlining  a practical programme. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/disease-tolerant-trees-to-be-planted-in-uks-ash-tree-archive

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys