Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Darren S  
#121 Posted : 29 June 2019 10:26:30(UTC)
Darren S

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 11,312
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Arborfield, Berks

Originally Posted by: Gusty Go to Quoted Post

 

Any chance of a CET rise of 1c today to rescue my campaign ? .

We need a CET of about 43C for today I think. 

Darren

Arborfield, Berks (61m asl)

Winter Snow Depth Totals:

2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm

Offline ARTzeman  
#122 Posted : 30 June 2019 09:56:02(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 25,611
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

Met Office Hadley     14.4c      Anomaly      0.3c. Provisional to 29th.

Metcheck                  14.41c      Anomaly      0.26c

Netweather               14.04c      Anomaly      0.75c

Mean of my 10 stations 14.90c.  Anomaly   0.43c.   

Edited by user 30 June 2019 13:32:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

Offline Caz  
#123 Posted : 30 June 2019 13:05:18(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 18,098
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman Go to Quoted Post

Met Office Hadley     14.04c      Anomaly      0.3c. Provisional to 29th.

Metcheck                  14.41c      Anomaly      0.26c

Netweather               14.04c      Anomaly      0.75c

Mean of my 10 stations 14.90c.  Anomaly   0.43c.   

Art, I suspect there may be a rogue 0 in the MetO figure!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline ARTzeman  
#124 Posted : 01 July 2019 10:00:08(UTC)
ARTzeman

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 14/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 25,611
Man
Location: Peasedown St John. N.E. Sommerset

End Temperatures for June 2019

Metcheck           14.50c.      Anomaly     0.35c

Netweather        14.96c       Anomaly     0.87c

Mean of my 10 stations  14.98c   Difference  0.35c. Using a 6- Year Average of 15.33.        

Some people walk in the rain.

Others just get wet.

Online Gavin D  
#125 Posted : 01 July 2019 10:09:45(UTC)
Gavin D

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 25/06/2011(UTC)
Posts: 7,690
Man
United Kingdom

Offline johncs2016  
#126 Posted : 01 July 2019 10:22:05(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 5,112
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

Originally Posted by: Gavin D Go to Quoted Post

Interesting as this this means that June's CET figure was 0.3°C colder than the 1981-2010 June CET average.

I know that I said in the July thread that I don't want anything more to do with the CET competition from now on, but I will just say that it looks as though it is those members who posted the coldest values for their predictions who have come the closest this time, so it looks to be between Snowshoe and Roonie as to who has actually won this time.

The actual winner for June will of be announced here in due course but in advance, I would like to congratulate whoever that winner ends up being. As for my own guess, I was too high with my guess as I had expected but then, so was nearly everyone else's guesses and it turns out that I was actually closer than the vast majority of those who entered into last month's competition.

 

Edited by user 01 July 2019 10:23:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MY THREE LOCAL WEATHER STATIONS

EDINBURGH GOGARBANK (more up to date sunshine totals come from here)

Latitude: 55° 55' 40.8'' N (DMS) or 55.928° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 34.8'' W (DMS) or -3.343° (Dec)

Altitude: 57m above mean sea level

EDINBURGH AIRPORT (added as an additional backup)

Latitude: 55° 56' 53.88'' N (DMS) or 55.9483° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 40.92'' W (DMS) or -3.447° (Dec)

Altitude: 33m above mean sea level

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, EDINBURGH (the closest station to where I live)

Latitude: 55° 58' 1.2'' N (DMS) or 55.967° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 13' 1.2'' W (DMS) or -3.2217° (Dec)

Altitude: 26m above mean sea level

Offline The Professional  
#127 Posted : 01 July 2019 10:31:04(UTC)
The Professional

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 31/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 140
United Kingdom
Location: Winchester

Final answer 14.25c so congratulations to Snowshoe.

Another decent month for me - another victory for the 'mathematical approach' (with apologies to Stormchaser!).

Offline Col  
#128 Posted : 01 July 2019 10:50:42(UTC)
Col

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 865
Location: Bolton 160m asl

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 Go to Quoted Post

 

Interesting as this this means that June's CET figure was 0.3°C colder than the 1981-2010 June CET average.

I know that I said in the July thread that I don't want anything more to do with the CET competition from now on, but I will just say that it looks as though it is those members who posted the coldest values for their predictions who have come the closest this time, so it looks to be between Snowshoe and Roonie as to who has actually won this time.

The actual winner for June will of be announced here in due course but in advance, I would like to congratulate whoever that winner ends up being. As for my own guess, I was too high with my guess as I had expected but then, so was nearly everyone else's guesses and it turns out that I was actually closer than the vast majority of those who entered into last month's competition.

 

Pretty pleased with my 14.4C prediction for June.

But really John you should reconsider your decision to pull out of the competition. You are clearly still interested in it, otherwise you wouldn't have made this post. It would be a shame to leave over such a relatively trivial matter.

Edited by user 01 July 2019 10:57:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/c...UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Offline johncs2016  
#129 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:16:24(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 5,112
Man
United Kingdom
Location: West Pilton, Edinburgh

Originally Posted by: Col Go to Quoted Post

 

Pretty pleased with my 14.4C prediction for June.

But really John you should reconsider your decision to pull out of the competition. You are clearly still interested in it, otherwise you wouldn't have made this post. It would be a shame to leave over such a relitively trivail matter.

Just because I don't want anything to do with the competition from now on though, doesn't necessarily mean that I suddenly have no interest whatsoever on how everyone else is doing in it.

To understand that concept, I can use a football match as an example. I might not be able to play football and take part in that particular match as a result (even if I could actually play football, I might not want to or be able to play in that particular match for whatever reason).

Even under these circumstances though, I will be still be interested enough in that game to then watch it and follow my team despite the fact that I am not actually playing in that match.

That is how I have now decided to treat the CET competition from now on. I can see where you're coming from though because by reading back over this thread, I can see that it wasn't all that long before you were contemplating pulling out of the CET competition yourself.

As for the July competition, I PM'ed my guess to GW just before I submitted my first post on the thread for that which led to everything which happened afterwards on that thread. Since then though, I have never actually PM'ed GW to formally withdraw that entry.

Given what has recently happened, GW has the right to formally withdraw my entry anyway since he is the one who is actually running this competition and if he does choose to take that path, then that is fair enough by me. If on the other hand, GW decides not to go down that path, this means that my entry for July is still there which would mean technically speaking, I have still not yet actually left the competition.

What my decision to leave the CET competition does mean though is that if my July entry is still there and valid, it would be the last one which I formally made from now on so my leaving date would come into effect from August.

In any case, we as Brits have a cheek to be speaking out about leaving anything given that we as a nation did after all, vote to leave the EU and just as there are members of this forum trying to convince me that I shouldn't leave the CET competition, I'm sure that there are other EU nations which will equally be trying to convince the UK what we shouldn't be leaving the EU after all. However, that is a matter for another forum, so I won't go any further into that here.

 

MY THREE LOCAL WEATHER STATIONS

EDINBURGH GOGARBANK (more up to date sunshine totals come from here)

Latitude: 55° 55' 40.8'' N (DMS) or 55.928° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 34.8'' W (DMS) or -3.343° (Dec)

Altitude: 57m above mean sea level

EDINBURGH AIRPORT (added as an additional backup)

Latitude: 55° 56' 53.88'' N (DMS) or 55.9483° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 20' 40.92'' W (DMS) or -3.447° (Dec)

Altitude: 33m above mean sea level

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS, EDINBURGH (the closest station to where I live)

Latitude: 55° 58' 1.2'' N (DMS) or 55.967° (Dec)

Longitude: 3° 13' 1.2'' W (DMS) or -3.2217° (Dec)

Altitude: 26m above mean sea level

Offline Col  
#130 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:42:15(UTC)
Col

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/01/2013(UTC)
Posts: 865
Location: Bolton 160m asl

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 Go to Quoted Post

 

Just because I don't want anything to do with the competition from now on though, doesn't necessarily mean that I suddenly have no interest whatsoever on how everyone else is doing in it.

To understand that concept, I can use a football match as an example. I might not be able to play football and take part in that particular match as a result (even if I could actually play football, I might not want to or be able to play in that particular match for whatever reason).

Even under these circumstances though, I will be still be interested enough in that game to then watch it and follow my team despite the fact that I am not actually playing in that match.

That is how I have now decided to treat the CET competition from now on. I can see where you're coming from though because by reading back over this thread, I can see that it wasn't all that long before you were contemplating pulling out of the CET competition yourself.

That is very true. However I misunderstood what GW had said regarding changes to what he was going to post in the monthly CET thread, and I anticipated arguments about it, something I can't be bothered with. But the changes were minor so that was fine.

Quote:

As for the July competition, I PM'ed my guess to GW just before I submitted my first post on the thread for that which led to everything which happened afterwards on that thread. Since then though, I have never actually PM'ed GW to formally withdraw that entry.

Given what has recently happened, GW has the right to formally withdraw my entry anyway since he is the one who is actually running this competition and if he does choose to take that path, then that is fair enough by me. If on the other hand, GW decides not to go down that path, this means that my entry for July is still there which would mean technically speaking, I have still not yet actually left the competition.

What my decision to leave the CET competition does mean though is that if my July entry is still there and valid, it would be the last one which I formally made from now on so my leaving date would come into effect from August.

In any case, we as Brits have a cheek to be speaking out about leaving anything given that we as a nation did after all, vote to leave the EU and just as there are members of this forum trying to convince me that I shouldn't leave the CET competition, I'm sure that there are other EU nations which will equally be trying to convince the UK what we shouldn't be leaving the EU after all. However, that is a matter for another forum, so I won't go any further into that here.

 

Hahahahaha... Brexit! I'm not even going to ask you what your views on that are, though I think I can guess. But as you say, that is most certainly a matter for another forum!

Col

Bolton, Lancashire

160m asl

Snow videos:

http://www.youtube.com/c...UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg

Offline Stormchaser  
#131 Posted : 03 July 2019 14:42:27(UTC)
Stormchaser

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 24/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 11,737
Man
Location: West Hants

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1146395311528714241

Just to hammer home how fickle the UK temps can be... it was the warmest June on record for Europe as a whole and looking at this height anomaly pattern, you can see how close we were to the Nino-like pattern of repeated destabilising heat plumes.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email twomoderationteam@gmail.com :)

Homeland: Rural Mid-West Hants nearly 10 miles S of Salisbury (near Fordingbridge). More insights: https://twitter.com/peacockreports

2018's Homeland Extremes:

T-Max: 30.9*C 8th July | T-Min: -7.7*C 28th Feb | Wettest Day: 19.2mm 14th October | Ice Days: 4 (28 Feb - 2 Mar & 18 Mar)

Keep Calm and Forecast On

Offline Global Warming  
#132 Posted : 14 July 2019 14:57:33(UTC)
Global Warming

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/10/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,108

Here are the June charts. Very average overall but only because of a very warm last week and a very warm first couple of days. Much of the month was rather cool.

Chineham, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 86m asl
Offline Global Warming  
#133 Posted : 14 July 2019 14:59:40(UTC)
Global Warming

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/10/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,108

We did have one exceptional day in June on the 29th. We didn't quite break the mean CET date record for that day but we did break the maximum CET record for the whole of June.

Days with a June maximum CET above 30C (since records began in 1878)

29 June 2019  30.6C

28 June 1976  30.3C

29 June 1976  30.1C

26 June 1878  30.0C

02 June 1947  30.0C

That 1947 figure is quite amazing given how early it is in the month. Then again we did see 29.9C on 6 June 1950

Edited by user 14 July 2019 15:01:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chineham, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 86m asl
Offline Global Warming  
#134 Posted : 15 July 2019 21:37:27(UTC)
Global Warming

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/10/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,108

Annual CET competition - June update

Finally here is the updated table to the end of June.

Shoeshoe was the winner of the June competition with a prediction of 14.30C. The actual CET was 14.25C.

No change at the top or bottom of the table this month. GezM still leads the way but will that still be the position at the end of July? Col moves back up to second and The Professional to third.

The highest climber this month is Windy Willow up nine to 18th.

Link to full sized table

Chineham, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 86m asl
Offline Saint Snow  
#135 Posted : 16 July 2019 11:21:33(UTC)
Saint Snow

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 42,857
Man
Location: St Helens

Cheers, GW

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

Offline Caz  
#136 Posted : 16 July 2019 15:21:30(UTC)
Caz

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 18,098
Woman
Location: Market Warsop, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands

Cheers GW!  

Crikey!  I’m sinking fast!  I’m in good company though with SC and HT.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.

Join the fun of the monthly CET competition. Last chance to join in the yearly comp is 2nd March. Discuss monthly temperatures and records.

Offline Bertwhistle  
#137 Posted : 16 July 2019 16:32:54(UTC)
Bertwhistle

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/11/2015(UTC)
Posts: 5,605
Location: Central Southern England

Originally Posted by: Global Warming Go to Quoted Post

Annual CET competition - June update

Finally here is the updated table to the end of June.

Shoeshoe was the winner of the June competition with a prediction of 14.30C. The actual CET was 14.25C.

No change at the top or bottom of the table this month. GezM still leads the way but will that still be the position at the end of July? Col moves back up to second and The Professional to third.

The highest climber this month is Windy Willow up nine to 18th.

Link to full sized table

Thanks for that GW- I have slipped again; however, I would brag that I am among the most consistently accurate in that all 6 of my months have been within a certain margin- no vast errors in any month, despite risk taking in several.

(Ducks quickly down behind parapet; truth is I got lucky in February!).

Edited by user 16 July 2019 16:34:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bertie, Itchen Valley.

Remember Finlake!

Offline Gusty  
#138 Posted : 18 July 2019 07:24:37(UTC)
Gusty

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 14,228
Man
Location: Folkestone

Thanks for the helpful update GW, 

 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Join Kent Weather on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/

Offline Global Warming  
#139 Posted : 20 July 2019 13:39:18(UTC)
Global Warming

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 07/10/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,108

Here are the daily temperature maximums for June. No date records again this month although we were close on the 29th.

So far only February has seen date records this month when there were 6

Link to full size table

Chineham, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 86m asl
Users browsing this topic
7 Pages«<567
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Live Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS HIRLAM Icon Met Office UM Fax CFS GFSP