Retron
22 February 2019 05:48:00

Originally Posted by: Andy Woodcock 

The 1 at the end for a light snow shower on 29th January.

Andy

Jammy! I'd have loved to have seen a snow shower here...

This abortion of a winter is just above the likes of 1997/8, which didn't even have any sleet. At least there's been sleet this winter.

(It's even more galling knowing that 12 miles away they had a dusting at one stage, and around 20 miles away, over the Downs, they had inches of snow.)

Leysdown, north Kent
Chunky Pea
22 February 2019 08:05:17

It feels that this winter just reflects the state of the UK in general.

Brexit Britain has become a desperate place with political turmoil, closing factories, record violent crime, decaying cities, rubbish littered streets. God we have become an awful place and this fowl, miserable and depressing winter just characterizes the nation we have become.

I was around during the deep recession of 1981 but the Country wasn't as divided, fearful and paralysed as it is now and we had a great winter to compensate!

No such joy to be had in this darkest year of 2019 when the smell of decay is everywhere, the only thing missing from our rapid decline into chaos is a swarm of Locusts.

Andy

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Solar Cycles
22 February 2019 08:54:45
This winter has to go down as one of the most disappointing in my lifetime, never has so much been expected from a seasonal model POV only for it to turn out a damp squib. On a positve note it’s strengthened my resolve in finally admitting how woeful season/long term modelling actually is. 😎
Gray-Wolf
22 February 2019 09:51:12

Originally Posted by: Solar Cycles 

This winter has to go down as one of the most disappointing in my lifetime, never has so much been expected from a seasonal model POV only for it to turn out a damp squib. On a positve note it’s strengthened my resolve in finally admitting how woeful season/long term modelling actually is. 😎

I think a lot of folk are half focusing on changes to the polar strat that we now see each winter as a guarantee of us seeing a long 'polar plunge' or the arrival of a BFTE.

If they would gen up on SSW's/PNJ splits they might better understand that such abnormal behaviours are as likely to throw up WAA over the country as it is either an SSW that disturbs the pattern to the point that we see long fetch easterlies or a detached lobe of the PNJ setting up shop over the UK ( as we have seen over multiple winters in Canada/N.USA?)

I think folk also need acquaint themselves with the impact the Rockies can have on the Polar jet and the downstream patterns this sets into motion?

With our atmosphere responding to the forcings of the past 150 yrs we find ever more 'extremes' visited on us but not all are of the 'cold variety'.

We have seen floods, we have seen low rainfall and we have also seen abnormal warmth ( not just N of 80 degrees!), all of it interesting if you study it and all of it helping us better understand the changes we are seeing? 

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
Solar Cycles
22 February 2019 09:52:28

Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf 

I think a lot of folk are half focusing on changes to the polar strat that we now see each winter as a guarantee of us seeing a long 'polar plunge' or the arrival of a BFTE.

If they would gen up on SSW's/PNJ splits they might better understand that such abnormal behaviours are as likely to throw up WAA over the country as it is either an SSW that disturbs the pattern to the point that we see long fetch easterlies or a detached lobe of the PNJ setting up shop over the UK ( as we have seen over multiple winters in Canada/N.USA?)

I think folk also need acquaint themselves with the impact the Rockies can have on the Polar jet and the downstream patterns this sets into motion?

With our atmosphere responding to the forcings of the past 150 yrs we find ever more 'extremes' visited on us but not all are of the 'cold variety'.

We have seen floods, we have seen low rainfall and we have also seen abnormal warmth ( not just N of 80 degrees!), all of it interesting if you study it and all of it helping us better understand the changes we are seeing? 

Good post Gray.

Northern Sky
22 February 2019 12:34:44

Originally Posted by: Solar Cycles 

Agreed SC. although in real terms there have been worse Winters in recent memory - we've had quite a few frosts as well as the decent little cold spell last month - but the thing that has been so disappointing has been the reality compared to the promise of the long range models and background signals.

Next Winter they can sod off whatever they say. I'm sticking to T168 and no further 

richardabdn
22 February 2019 18:27:19

You were lucky Brian.

The cold spell here produced cloudy dry weather at 4c

The warm spell has brought cloudy drizzly weather at 13c.

So it's basically crap weather just a bit warmer.

Andy

Much the same here. While the cold spell was nowhere near as bad as that it was still pathetic compared with what we should be expecting here. Just 4cm of snow lying, which is an absolute disgrace, and the fact that 13/14 and 16/17 were even worse speaks volumes. As has been the case for the past six years I had to go well inland to see any decent depth. 

The last two weeks have been garbage. Spring like weather to me is light winds and high diurnal ranges under high pressure or sunshine and showers. We have had none of that. Nasty wind blowing all the time making it feel like autumn, even when the sun has been out, and preventing temperatures dropping at night. Hasn’t dropped below 4C for 10 days and apart from yesterday, certainly hasn’t felt warm by day. Still need my woolly hat most of the time. A horrible, depressing way to see out an appalling winter and all the worse for knowing it will almost certainly lead to cold, wet and vile weather in April. The last time a very mild and dry February wasn’t followed by a rubbish April was 1921! 

Worth pointing out that in January 2003 when it reached 17C we were plunged into a sub-zero arctic blast days later. This extreme switch around was typical in the past. No sign of this happening now with yesterdays 17C looking as though it will be followed up with more endless mild gunk which we saw a return to today. Disgusting grey southerly filth. 13C at the moment and rising past sunset 

While winters 2013/14 and 2016/17 were even worse they were at least preceded by decent crisp and frosty Novembers. This winter was preceded by a horror show mild, wet November that was even more repellent than the winter itself. So for autumn and winter combined I would say I cannot recall anything more bland and devoid of interest than the past six months have been. I have given up even updating my spreadsheet so don’t even know at the moment what dire levels the mean temperature for this month has risen to and don’t care either. The latest complete and utter nightmare from this absolutely terrible decade for a weather enthusiast

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
LeedsLad123
22 February 2019 18:45:26

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

I think some people on here need to get a life. Maybe visit a shrink and get evaluated. 

It’s just the weather guys. It really doesn’t matter that much. 

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Saint Snow
28 February 2019 10:51:54

And one of the most disappointing winters in memory goes out with a typically rubbish day: neither mild nor cold, grey, breezy, threat of rain.

Apart from an all too brief chilly spell that brought to MBY a couple of cm's of snow that was gone from 80% of surfaces within 24 hours, and an unusually mild week toward the end of Feb, it's been a winter of boring, grey, near-average-temps weather.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
JACKO4EVER
28 February 2019 16:36:15
One of the most abysmal and god forsaken β€œwinters” I can remember.
Good riddance
Gray-Wolf
28 February 2019 17:13:48

Well if that was winter we've had it!

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
springsunshine
28 February 2019 19:33:11

Blink and you missed it 

Arcus
28 February 2019 19:41:54

Makes me long for the days 20 years or so ago prior to discovering model output, where one's hopes were raised only by the Countryfile forecast on a Sunday. Never has the phrase "Have A Look At What You Could Have Won" been more apt or more bitter tasting.

Anyway, on the plus side we did have one of our best ice days in recent winters, with a daytime max of -4c, and some good freezing fog days.

No, I'm not convincing myself there, it's not really much of a plus...

Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
28 February 2019 19:45:46
At start of February we had deep dry snow and a sunny sub-zero day with drifting snow blowing off the moors and shooting out over the dale in a spectacular fashion.
Not seen that since some time in the 1980s. It has been a fairly average winter here until the past week.
Except unusually dry.
richardabdn
28 February 2019 19:51:37

One of the worst ever winters for sure. A total disgrace. 

Only interest for me really were the frosts at the end of January and snow during the weekend of 2nd/3rd February. Other than that a complete disaster. Boring and tedious beyond words.

It speaks volumes that, asides from that the best weather was the exceptionally mild and sunny conditions over Christmas which at least allowed me to get a bit of walking done. February's mild weather was garbage as there were really only three decent days - all during the week. Weekends were 11C with a fair bit of cloud and wind, conditions which hold zero appeal for me.

No frost since 10th February and only five for the month of February which is the joint lowest in my records with 2011 and 2017. Even the Atlantic driven 2014 managed more frost which says it all.

21 frosts  for the whole abomination of a winter. Adding the two in Autumn gives 23 which leaves spring needing to produce two just to equal my lowest ever total of 25 in 2016/17. Abysmal. Spring 2013 managed more frosts than any winter since except 14/15 and 17/18. That is shocking.

This article in the local rag sums up what a bland embarrassment our climate has degenerated into: 

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/one-year-on-from-beast-from-the-east-and-north-east-enjoys-record-temperatures/

As evidenced by the video there was no extreme snowfall this time last year. It was a load of crap. The cringeworthy 'now and then' pictures are a sick joke. I can't get believe that this is a genuine article and not a spoof. Is that even snow in the top one or just a frost? 

No decent snow for six or even eight winters given that January 2013 wasn't much cop away from the higher suburbs 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Andy Woodcock
28 February 2019 21:38:29
Thank God its over that's all I can say.

Yes, I have known many, many mild winters but none that promised so much and delivered so little.

And just for the record I know the weather isn't a matter of life or death, its more important than that......

Andy
Andy Woodcock
Plumpton
Penrith
Cumbria
Altitude 435 feet
"I survived The Mega Bartlett Winter of 2015/16 With My Mental Health Just About Intact"
roadrunnerajn
16 November 2019 08:56:42
Will we be resurrecting this thread soon going by the general feeling.....πŸ˜™πŸ€£
Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
johncs2016
16 November 2019 10:28:08

Originally Posted by: roadrunnerajn 

Will we be resurrecting this thread soon going by the general feeling.....πŸ˜™πŸ€£

.. Or we could just start a new thread for this upcoming winter, rather than bringing back last year's thread in this fashion.

That is what usually happens after all, and we are just about at the time of year now when this normally happens.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.