Bolty
  • Bolty
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
07 January 2017 08:43:50

The winter of 1968-69 was quite an interesting winter. It featured a mostly cold December and February, sandwiching quite a mild January. I may make a historic video on this winter some time.

December 1968

December 1968 was a chilly month, with a CET of 3.0C. The month began very anticyclonic with overnight frost and fog, followed by nippy days. Thie middle third was then quite cool and wet before the weather turned significantly colder from the 23rd...

Remarkably over the Christmas period there was then a largely unforecasted White Christmas, with heavy snow falling across a large part of the country overnight Christmas Eve and into Christmas morning. A depth of 10cm was recorded in Birmingham, with some rural areas seeing upto 25cm of snow falling on Christmas Day. Beyond Christmas, the weather then remain cold and wintry up until the New Year with snow cover lasting.

January 1969

January for the most part was quite a mild month (CET of 5.5C). The period between the 7th-21st was very mild, before colder weather did return to see out the final days of the month.

February 1969

Cold weather very much returned in February with the winds frequently coming from a northerly or easterly direction. With a CET of 1.0C, it was the coldest month since the winter of 1962-63.

On the 7th, a deep low pressure system swung down the North Sea, bringing an Arctic front accompanied by hurricane-force winds to Scotland. In fact Kirkwall recorded a low level gust of 135mph! Further south there was a notable snow event across the Midlands and the south, with 30cm of snow and some 20 foot drifts recorded in Kent.

There was further heavy snow on Valentine's Day and again on 19th-20th, before the shift of the month then turned towards very low temperatures:

7th: -7C maximum at Eskdalemuir and a minimum of -14C in parts of Kent.

16th: -20C minimum near Penrith.

18th: -20.6C at Grantown-on-Spey, -13C at Manchester and -7C in Central London.

March and April 1969

The severe cold didn't relent going into the spring with March also being a remarkably cold month, with a CET of just 3.3C. On the 12th-14th, there was a major snowstorm across Scotland, which cut off many roads in Angus and Perthshire.

On the 16th-18th, the Midlands was then battered again, only this time by an ice storm! In fact a TV tower at Emley Moor, Huddersfield snapped under the weight of glazed ice on the 19th.

The cold weather lasted through, with little interruption until the end of March. April also began on a chilly note, with snow showers in a northerly flow, before the winter finally lost it's grip from the 7th onwards.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
lanky
07 January 2017 09:19:44

I remember that winter very well as I was living in student accommodation between Exeter and Crediton but very isolated and about 600' elevation.

Got cut off for 2 days Feb 19th -20th after a severe snowstorm and high wind with a lot of drifting

There were 2 or 3 good snow events towards the end of that winter but it has largely disappeared from people's memory as it's too long ago to have an impression like 2009 or 2010 but not really a classic like 1947, 1962-3 or 1979

Anyway I was keen on snow photos even then, and despite being cut off went out to use up a roll of colour film

I am looking forward to the video if you decide to go ahead with it !

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
marting
07 January 2017 12:02:44
Thanks for this one Bolty. A good talk through of my baby years weather. Nice pictures, reminds me of some good days were the snow is stacked up on the hedges.😀
Martin
Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
Snow Hoper
07 January 2017 15:30:49

They don't make them like they used to

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
bluetriangle
07 January 2017 16:17:09
I remember we had a white Christmas in the late sixties and I'll bet it was this year. The charts above certainly look favourable. It had been cold with a black frost and snow started falling and lying in the afternoon, quickly transforming our neighbourhood. The other white Christmas I recall from the sixties was 1962. We had three inches of snow, which had fallen overnight, although I read that the front became more active as it moved south, giving huge falls in southern England on Boxing Day.

Lanky, the photos are great!
Livingston, West Lothian 148m (485 ft) asl
Winter 2016-17 to date: 10 days with falling snow, 5 days with lying snow, 1 ice day.
Weathermac
07 January 2017 16:26:07
I remember walking to school the snow way over the top of my wellies...the a45 was completely blocked my parents giving lorry drivers hot coffee .
sunny coast
07 January 2017 17:53:48
lived in the west midlands in 1969 and february was a very snowy month with heavy falls. christmases of 1968 and 1970 produced snow between xmas eve and boxing day
Whether Idle
07 January 2017 20:03:27
A classic month. Great thread Bolty.
Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Devonian
08 January 2017 17:08:20

Originally Posted by: lanky 

I remember that winter very well as I was living in student accommodation between Exeter and Crediton but very isolated and about 600' elevation.

Got cut off for 2 days Feb 19th -20th after a severe snowstorm and high wind with a lot of drifting

There were 2 or 3 good snow events towards the end of that winter but it has largely disappeared from people's memory as it's too long ago to have an impression like 2009 or 2010 but not really a classic like 1947, 1962-3 or 1979

Anyway I was keen on snow photos even then, and despite being cut off went out to use up a roll of colour film

I am looking forward to the video if you decide to go ahead with it !

A scene lowland Devon hasn't seen since 1978. Indeed, even here 300m up on the moor, we've seen nothing like your excellent pictures show since 1978 either .

I was at primary school in '69 but I put several notes about snowdrifts in my diary - up here the drifts were deeper, the lanes fuller

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19