KevBrads1
02 December 2013 20:15:34
The run up to Christmas 1938 brought a spell of severe wintry weather on an easterly bringing widespread heavy snowfalls with a deep covering in a number of places. It was contrary to the first half of December 1938 which was very mild.

Christmas Day 1938 was a white Christmas across many parts of the UK, indeed apart from Christmas Day 1981, it was the deepest and most widespread Christmas snow of the 20th Century. The day itself was largely dry with just the odd snow flurry as most of the UK was under the influence of a ridge from Scandinavia.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Just looking at reports from Europe

Mean pressure at Moscow for Dec '38 was 1036mb (+18mb above mean)
Northern Sweden: 1026mb (+16mb)
Oslo: 1021mb (+11mb)

Icelandic low: 994mb (-4mb below mean)

Siberia recorded temperatures of around -50C during the second week of December.

Lyons: -25C on the 22nd December

Milan: -10.6C on the 25th

Rivers, lakes, canals etc froze across most parts of Europe. Road, rail and air traffic were severely disrupted.

18th-25th December: -1.1

From the 20th December 1938 edition of the Times

Times photos of the snow

From the 21st December edition of the Times

Some Times photos

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Gooner
02 December 2013 20:26:40

Excellent post Kev a repeat this year would be just fine

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

sriram
02 December 2013 20:37:59
Brilliant post -well done
Sriram
Sedgley, West Midlands ( just south of Wolverhampton )
162m ASL
Lionel Hutz
02 December 2013 21:29:25

I always enjoy these historical posts

A difficult Christmas in 1938, but how many knew what they would face over the following few Christmases?

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

Hungry Tiger
02 December 2013 23:44:55

Cheers Kevin.

I love the old newspapers clippings and those temperatures all in farenheit.

Great stuff.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Bob G
03 December 2013 06:51:46

Very interesting Kevin, thanks for posting. Now if we can arrange that for this weekend

Saint Snow
03 December 2013 13:01:39

Not one for me - too 'eastern-focused'; hardly any snow in the west

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
nsrobins
03 December 2013 13:55:20

Agree with the others - these posts are a fantastic read. Very much appreciated.

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Russwirral
03 December 2013 14:05:12

yup, facinating.  That Map of the Uk and the temps - were they night time temps?  Some places are around -6 to -8.. which if night time  - ok.. but if they were daytime - that would be a serious cold spell.

nouska
03 December 2013 14:09:48
This would be the entire month in the format of a modern model run - only difference - FI is entirely correct!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?mode=2&month=12&day=1&year=1938&map=4&hour=0 
KevBrads1
03 December 2013 15:46:36
Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

yup, facinating. That Map of the Uk and the temps - were they night time temps? Some places are around -6 to -8.. which if night time - ok.. but if they were daytime - that would be a serious cold spell.

They are the mean temperatures.

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
Saint Snow
03 December 2013 16:04:52

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

yup, facinating. That Map of the Uk and the temps - were they night time temps? Some places are around -6 to -8.. which if night time - ok.. but if they were daytime - that would be a serious cold spell.

Kevin, as a lot of the media stuff from way-back-when tended to be London/SE-related in terms of weather reports (understandable, given the technology of the time), do you have access to archived Manchester Evening News or Liverpool Echo?

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
KevBrads1
03 December 2013 16:25:28
Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Kevin, as a lot of the media stuff from way-back-when tended to be London/SE-related in terms of weather reports (understandable, given the technology of the time), do you have access to archived Manchester Evening News or Liverpool Echo?

I'm afraid not.

The above articles are from the actual paper that I have.

moomin75
03 December 2013 16:39:02

Kevin, I've picked up a fascinating book about the history of my town from 1901-1910 (called Edwardian Witney).

There are a number of articles in the book about bizarre weather events during this decade (including a great Easter blizzard in late April).

Is there an archive of charts that I can have a look at to see the synoptics of the day?

Really interesting book  and would be great to tie this up with the synoptic charts.

Does the archive even go back that far?

Edit - The Great Easter blizzard was around April 24th 1908 if you have a link to that chart that would be great.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
KevBrads1
03 December 2013 16:52:44
Originally Posted by: moomin75 

Kevin, I've picked up a fascinating book about the history of my town from 1901-1910 (called Edwardian Witney).
There are a number of articles in the book about bizarre weather events during this decade (including a great Easter blizzard in late April).
Is there an archive of charts that I can have a look at to see the synoptics of the day?
Really interesting book and would be great to tie this up with the synoptic charts.
Does the archive even go back that far?

Edit - The Great Easter blizzard was around April 24th 1908 if you have a link to that chart that would be great.

I have written an article on this here

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/64411-the-remarkable-snowfalls-of-late-april-1908/ 

moomin75
03 December 2013 16:55:16
http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/64411-the-remarkable-snowfalls-of-late-april-1908/  http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1908/Rrea00119082404.gif[/quote]

Wow thanks Kev, that's fantastic...I will have a good read of that. My book says there were snow drifts several feet high around Witney (so proof to Gooner that sometimes it does snow in my neck of the woods!).

Brilliant link Kevin, thanks a lot.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Gavin P
03 December 2013 17:21:26

Thanks Kevin.

Although the rest of the winter of 38-39 was relatively mild, I guess this spell can be seen as a warning of what was around the corner in terms of the sudden switch to much colder winters through the 1940's...

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Saint Snow
03 December 2013 17:34:23

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I'm afraid not. The above articles are from the actual paper that I have.

Thanks for your reply, Kevin

Martin
Aneurin Bevan