polarwind
19 August 2013 18:58:40

see -

http://news.sky.com/story/1130446/video-of-aurora-with-rare-cloud-phenomenon

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)
"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat
Dave,Derby
idj20
19 August 2013 19:38:10

That is beautiful!  

Folkestone Harbour. 
Sevendust
19 August 2013 20:51:46

Dougie
20 August 2013 01:58:51

Thanks PW for posting the vid. I have never seen an aurora, but hope to rectify that before the year is out.

Ha'way the lads
Crepuscular Ray
20 August 2013 06:08:12
Amazing!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
ARTzeman
20 August 2013 07:17:13

Very nice curtain of lights.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Rob K
20 August 2013 11:54:26
A question for those who have seen the aurora - do the curtains of light actually move perceptibly to the eye or is that only seen in timelapse films like this? Obviously in this film it is clear but sometimes I'm not sure whether I'm seeing sped-up footage or not!
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Essan
20 August 2013 14:50:08

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

A question for those who have seen the aurora - do the curtains of light actually move perceptibly to the eye or is that only seen in timelapse films like this? Obviously in this film it is clear but sometimes I'm not sure whether I'm seeing sped-up footage or not!

No, they do move quite perceptively to the eye - often jerking about suddenly.

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA