fairweather
17 March 2018 22:05:42

Originally Posted by: Justin W 

Watching the band to the north and west of us pivot on the radar, I'm pretty confident that this is a bust, Steve.

Not looking good. General drift is NW away from the Thames Estuary then pivoting SW. This has never been a Thames Streamer although has given a reasonable amount of snow in parts of Essex including here in the South but I think that is possibly it for now.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Saint Snow
17 March 2018 22:25:32

Very large area of active snow showers has really invigorated over the Lincs/Notts/Leics/Derbys/SYorks/Staffs region in the last hour or so. Expecting some big snow reports from that area.

Course, there's a band of clear sky above this about 50 miles wide, encompassing Hull/S[censored]horpe/Doncaster/Stockport/Manchester/St Helens/Chester/Liverpool, before another line of showers to our north. 

Hoping the convergence lines drift overnight or this is going to be another p-take

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Rob K
17 March 2018 22:43:18

Originally Posted by: eddied 

Difficult to work out what’s going on. All a bit underwhelming here to be honest. I don’t understand what our amber warning is relating to? Is it referring to the band that has formed 30 miles to the north on the other side of London? Is something going to shift during the night?

Ongoing light snow here. A dusting I guess but I don’t see where these predicted falls are going to come from right now. Anyone understand the atmospherics of this able to explain?

I think they just got the location of the band wrong. The heavy snow has been consistently about 50 miles north of the amber zone. Seems to be more or less over here now with a dusting while heavier snow continues further north the other side of Reading. 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Chiltern Blizzard
17 March 2018 22:56:00

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Very large area of active snow showers has really invigorated over the Lincs/Notts/Leics/Derbys/SYorks/Staffs region in the last hour or so. Expecting some big snow reports from that area.

Course, there's a band of clear sky above this about 50 miles wide, encompassing Hull/S[censored]horpe/Doncaster/Stockport/Manchester/St Helens/Chester/Liverpool, before another line of showers to our north. 

Hoping the convergence lines drift overnight or this is going to be another p-take

That snow even seems to be hitting that well known snow desert of Melton Mowbray!

Rendlesham, Suffolk 20m asl
nsrobins
17 March 2018 23:20:19

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

I think they just got the location of the band wrong. The heavy snow has been consistently about 50 miles north of the amber zone. Seems to be more or less over here now with a dusting while heavier snow continues further north the other side of Reading. 

Reasonsble Rob. I’d caution however against calling this too early. The area of ‘back build’ poking North from the Channel has potential to expand and linger for a few hours before being pulled West tomorrow morning. 

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
SEMerc
17 March 2018 23:44:22

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

I've done well here, E of Reading and it's still snowing heavily. The present batch is probably on its last legs but there is some stuff brewing in the Channel and heading up through the South Coast.

soperman
18 March 2018 00:04:16

Originally Posted by: SEMerc 

I've done well here, E of Reading and it's still snowing heavily. The present batch is probably on its last legs but there is some stuff brewing in the Channel and heading up through the South Coast.

yep Sat24 shows the pivoting well now and a bit further east than expected

nsrobins
18 March 2018 00:20:51
I like the look of the push from the South now and am a bit relieved I wasn’t going mad thinking it wasn’t going to develop. Moderate snow here and possibly a few hours to come.
Neil
picturesareme
18 March 2018 00:32:05

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

I like the look of the push from the South now and am a bit relieved I wasn’t going mad thinking it wasn’t going to develop. Moderate snow here and possibly a few hours to come.

Moderate snow where? It's light patchy stuff here in Portsmouth. Radar doesn't look promissing. :(

nsrobins
18 March 2018 00:47:03

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Moderate snow where? It's light patchy stuff here in Portsmouth. Radar doesn't look promissing. :(

Lee-O-T-S. You are also under the expanding area of snow running N/S centered on Portsmouth. Recent passes show increased intensity and I can confirm we have moderate snow falling here.

Neil
picturesareme
18 March 2018 01:58:41

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Lee-O-T-S. You are also under the expanding area of snow running N/S centered on Portsmouth. Recent passes show increased intensity and I can confirm we have moderate snow falling here.

Marginally moderate falls but it's struggling settle on a lot of surfaces. Very little accumulation were it has settled 0.5cm 

Retron
18 March 2018 04:15:28

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Either I'm getting too old for this s**t or perhaps I'm just experiencing forecasting fatigue after years of let downs after let downs since that remarkable March 2013.

I guess a small difference (in global terms) can make a massive difference. March 2013 was unremarkable here - a few dustings, but no more than that. Similarly a few weeks ago with the "Beast" there was 15cm (or more) here and the last of that snow only melted on Friday morning - yet in the east of Kent there was next to nothing.

This time around it looks like everything ended up 50 or so miles further north - nothing in the grand scheme of things, but enough to make a mockery of the forecast.

Talking of which, HIRLAM is still going for some snow across Kent later today as a small feature moves west, even GFS is showing interest. UKV, as used by the Met Office, is having none of it however. It'll be interesting (from a dispassionate, "I've already written this off" viewpoint) to see what actually happens.

EDIT: Utterly galling. Not only did the heavy snow miss here (in the amber area), the wolf centre near Reading (not in the amber area) got a dumping.

Leysdown, north Kent
Nordic Snowman
18 March 2018 06:38:46

Haven't checked the charts this morning but yesterday I noted that the S coast is threatened with a short spell of light snow this evening/tonight before a lovely and sunny day tomorrow. Maybe a few more flakes later to end this short spell down here.

Bjorli, Norway

Website 
roadrunnerajn
18 March 2018 06:44:23
Woke up to a clear blue sky and -3.8c We are meant to get snow today under an Amber warning!!
It's now been put back till mid afternoon..... Not convinced really
Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
Heavy Weather 2013
18 March 2018 07:10:37

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Yes, for all the excitement over the full beast of end of Feb / start of Mar, the maximum snow I’ve seen here in SE London since moving here in 1998 is around 15cm in February 2009.

We had 2cm of thundersnow in 2004; a few short sharp 2cm dumps in Feb 2005; the snow day of Feb 2009 - best by a mile here; some snow but mainly frost in 2010, 4cm in Jan 2013, and 2cm last month. But in 2 weeks I’ll be in the alps where there is almost 3 metres of the stuff.

I have never experienced more than 20cm of snow in lowland Britain. And this makes me realise something: it’s very easy to get on a plane or ferry in winter and spring and within less than a day’s drive or a couple of hours flight be somewhere with more snow than you can shake a stick at. And equally within a 2-3 hour flight be somewhere hot and sunny in all but 2 or3 months of the year. One of the great things about living in Europe.

Agreed, a relative bust in terms of snowfall for this area of the world for both events. Pretty galling as we were in the Amber warning. It never really got going yesterday.

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
CornishBlizzard
18 March 2018 07:11:02

Originally Posted by: roadrunnerajn 

Woke up to a clear blue sky and -3.8c We are meant to get snow today under an Amber warning!!
It's now been put back till mid afternoon..... Not convinced really

We had a dusting overnight. I think its on its way, its just all moving very slow.

Andrew

Par

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
18 March 2018 07:18:15

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

You were not wrong about the snow here. We have six inches with deeper drifts. However, the radar is now showing us in the clear and yet it is definitely still snowing here!  It was snowing when I got up at 4.30am and it hasn’t stopped!  What’s going on there then?

We’re on an amber snow warning until 9am, then a yellow warning until midnight.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Jiries
18 March 2018 08:11:22

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

As we await the Thames streamer, I worry that surface temps are still too high for much to settle

Hopefully overnight it will settle so a delay in the heavier stuff till later would be good

Failed to turn up due to unwanted band of light snow that block it.  All the talks about frontal bands in the past that gave you a foot deep and blizzards conditions make me wonder if this true or all the foot of snow were done by streamers.  All I see is dandruff and nothing to build on the ground.  Last spell also failed as the Thames streamer was only able to run for few hours that gave us a covering then dandruff came on Thurs and Friday had prevented the streamer from running longer.

PFCSCOTTY
18 March 2018 09:14:12
Any chance of anything clipping the south coast of sussex, Hants and Dorset tonight?

Temps have now crept above freezing (just ) and the drip drip has slowly begun, but the sleet of earlier has turned to a scattering of large snow flakes.
Nordic Snowman
18 March 2018 09:33:48

Originally Posted by: PFCSCOTTY 

Any chance of anything clipping the south coast of sussex, Hants and Dorset tonight?

Temps have now crept above freezing (just ) and the drip drip has slowly begun, but the sleet of earlier has turned to a scattering of large snow flakes.

I think so, yes. The models do indicate a little but it will be just a little. Late evening/early tonight.

After this, my attention then turns to thunder watch  -->> 

Bjorli, Norway

Website