springsunshine
25 September 2021 09:40:39

Originally Posted by: Retron 

LOL, would have been nice. We've not had a cold summer for many a long year!

Meanwhile July continues unabated here. Overnight low of 13C, into the mid 20s yesterday and it'll be the same again today no doubt.

Autumn can't come soon enough!

I share your desire for autumn to arrive. There is now cross model agreement that it will arrive this coming week after being put back so many times. Indeed this september has basically been a typical july.

Chunky Pea
25 September 2021 13:49:00

Originally Posted by: Retron 

LOL, would have been nice. We've not had a cold summer for many a long year!

Meanwhile July continues unabated here. Overnight low of 13C, into the mid 20s yesterday and it'll be the same again today no doubt.

Autumn can't come soon enough!

15c low overnight, after 16c overnight low the night before. Whatever little breeze springs up during the day to offer some scant relief, totally dissipates by evening time as the humidity soars. Really, really sick of it at this stage.  Another warm humid night to come tonight. Will that cold front out in the Atlantic ever arrive? Feels like it never will. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
SJNM
25 September 2021 20:13:37

Another summery night tonight in what is supposed to be late September.  I'm really looking forward to the cooler and breezier weather next week, and some rain too.

johncs2016
26 September 2021 07:20:32

Is it ever going to cool down here in Edinburgh?

Yesterday, we had yet another maximum temperature of over 20ºC and now, I have lost count of how many times that has happened during this month.

In addition to that, the temperatures are also refusing to drop at night and as an example of that, last night's minimum temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank was no lower than 13.6ºC.

These are ridiculously high temperatures for this time of the year, and are the sort of temperatures which we would be more likely to be expecting in July or early August rather than just now.

Yet, we are now past the Autumn Equnox which means that the nights are now longer than the days (and will be for the next 6 months) and of now, it is now officially "autumn" regardless of how we actually define that.

This means that it should be getting a lot colder than now and what is happening now, is in complete contrast to what happened at this time last year when we were already getting our first frosts of the combined autumn/winter season.

That makes me scared about what might happen during the coming winter (at this rate, we will still be experiencing summer-like conditions, even at Christmas), and also makes me very concerned about what is happening to this planet as a whole in terms of overall climate change.

It wouldn't be so bad if our weather was actually "interesting", but this has now become a location where it hardly ever rains any more (even the upcoming unsettled spell which is being shown on the last model output is considered in the 4 week medium term models to be only a brief blip from that).

In addition to that, we have also being seeing a lot of grey skies with absolutely nothing which is even remotely interesting in terms of our weather, actually happening. The upshot of this is that, sunshine totals in recent days have been very poor. Yesterday was a completely sunless day at Edinburgh Gogarbank and there has been very few days recently with more than an hour or so of sunshine during that entire day, so this is now on course for being another duller than average month in this part of the world.

When you add all of that of together, our weather really couldn't be any more boring and uninteresting than that, and the absolute truth is that our weather hardly ever changes from one day to the next any more, and we just just don't get changeable weather like what we used to get.

This in turn, has driven me towards being less and less interested in the weather over time, which is why I have been posting as regularly on here these days as what I had been beforehand.

Even other members have said that under these circumstances, I could always take up something else instead and that is exactly what I have doing recently, but I previously never thought that I would actually ever end up having to do that and that also tells you just how boring and uninteresting our weather actually is these days.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
doctormog
26 September 2021 07:31:28

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Is it ever going to cool down here in Edinburgh?

Tomorrow (like here and the rest of the country). Sadly today looks like the last day of the lovely warm early autumn conditions.

idj20
26 September 2021 07:53:22
I've actually grown fond of this "extended" Summer but sadly looks like coming to an end if the model outputs are to go by on. Driving rain in strong southerly gales does not appeal to me at all, but guess the lawn could use a drink now.
Folkestone Harbour. 
richardabdn
26 September 2021 08:26:30

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Sadly today looks like the last day of the lovely warm early autumn conditions.

What lovely warm early autumn conditions? It's yet another disgusting grey cloudfest Sunday like virtually every other Sunday in the last four months. Utterly revolting and depressing beyond words.

Yesterday was mostly cloudy as well. As usual the only lengthy sunny spells I've seen have been through a window while working 

I have only recorded two Sundays with 7 hours sun since the start of June and the run of weekends since late July has to be about the worst I've ever experienced at any time of year.

The last weekend when both days recorded at least 3 hours sun was the 24th/25h July. Absolutely shocking beyond belief given that's the average for the 2nd half of October 

Worse still the stupefyingly awful double digit dross keeps on coming. Record breaking 21st double digit min last night. A truly reprehensible 14.2C and it's nearly October.

It's not sunny enough to feel like summer and it's not cool enough to feel like autumn. The only thing this feels like is complete and utter crap.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Retron
26 September 2021 08:48:55

Originally Posted by: SJNM 

Another summery night tonight in what is supposed to be late September.  I'm really looking forward to the cooler and breezier weather next week, and some rain too.

Not long to go now. The MetO raw has a 6-degree dewpoint drop tomorrow morning (from 17C / 15C to 17C / 9C) and it'll feel much fresher as that rain clears eastwards.

I'd imagine this thread will then fill up with people moaning about how cold it is!

(No chance of that today, mind you, the dewpoint is presently 17.2C!)

Leysdown, north Kent
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
26 September 2021 09:45:35

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

What lovely warm early autumn conditions? It's yet another disgusting grey cloudfest Sunday like virtually every other Sunday in the last four months. Utterly revolting and depressing beyond words.

Yesterday was mostly cloudy as well. As usual the only lengthy sunny spells I've seen have been through a window while working 

I have only recorded two Sundays with 7 hours sun since the start of June and the run of weekends since late July has to be about the worst I've ever experienced at any time of year.

The last weekend when both days recorded at least 3 hours sun was the 24th/25h July. Absolutely shocking beyond belief given that's the average for the 2nd half of October 

Worse still the stupefyingly awful double digit dross keeps on coming. Record breaking 21st double digit min last night. A truly reprehensible 14.2C and it's nearly October.

It's not sunny enough to feel like summer and it's not cool enough to feel like autumn. The only thing this feels like is complete and utter crap.

To be fair, late September is often like this. Something of a 'no man's land' in meteorological terms. The previous season hasn't properly finished but the new one not yet got into it's stride. Much the same as late March, spring not fully established yet but winter can still make it's mark.

Well it will certainly be turning a lot more autumnal next week and beyond. In fact some of the charts I've seen look pretty stormy. Just don't come on here moaning about wind & rain!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
doctormog
26 September 2021 09:50:45

The last couple of days have been glorious here. Yesterday felt lovely even when it clouded over here. It was great to be out and about in shirts with the temperature over 20°C on late September. No wind, no rain, just very nice. A real bonus compared with the typical (and upcoming) wet and windy weather.

Edit: I just took this screenshot of the vile weather: 

C4251-DA9-B08-C-4-D13-B098-AF645-DB91-AD5

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
26 September 2021 09:56:02

The last couple of days have been glorious here. Yesterday felt lovely even when it clouded over here. It was great to be out and about in shirts with the temperature over 20°C on late September. No wind, no rain, just very nice. A real bonus compared with the typical (and upcoming) wet and windy weather.

Do yuo live in the same Aberdeen that Richard does?

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
doctormog
26 September 2021 09:58:17

Originally Posted by: Col 

Do yuo live in the same Aberdeen that Richard does?

Judge for yourself.

Look here: http://www.seacroftmarine.com/webcams/ 

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
26 September 2021 10:17:49

Judge for yourself.

Look here: http://www.seacroftmarine.com/webcams/ 

Looks like it's brightened up a little since Richard posted. In fact it looks like a beautiful day. No doubt he will be commenting later as to what a fantasic day it was :)

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
johncs2016
26 September 2021 10:24:33
Just a quick note as well to say that because we are now so far into the autumn season (we are only 5 days away from the end of the month as I write and at that time, we will already be a third of the way through this complete non-event which is known as this "autumn"), an increasing number of people out there might be starting to consider this spell of weather as being an Indian Summer, especially if this type of weather turns up in October (which may well happen if the cooler and unsettled weather which is forecast to arrive, ends up being short lived).

However, such a spell of weather is officially only regarded as an Indian Summer if it is preceded by the first frosts of the combined autumn/winter season. Since we haven't even come close to getting a frost during this autumn so far, this spell of weather cannot therefpre, be referred to as an Indian Summer.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bolty
26 September 2021 20:18:06
Not been too bad this weekend. A bit cloudy at times but mostly dry with very acceptable temperatures for late September. Autumn waiting in the wings though - the wind is already picking up.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
tallyho_83
26 September 2021 21:00:40
19c here in Exeter and it's 22:00 - Also looking at temperatures in Edinburgh which is showing 18c at 22:00. Quite remarkably warm for this time of year at this time of the night!!
Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

richardabdn
27 September 2021 07:58:52

As if getting the first summer-half month for 7 years, in which no weekend day managed 7 hours of sun, wasn't grim enough to top it off we now have the vilest and most horrific local holiday monday imagineable. A complete washout 

Not only is it disgustingly dull and wet but the horrific temperatures just won't go away with another revolting min of 12.6C recorded 

Just one weekend day throughout the whole godawful August and September managed 7 hours of sun. To put that unadulterated horror into perspective the Novembers of 2009, 2013 and 2017 all managed two a piece  

Monday is usually the sunniest day of the week the only exception is when it's a holiday. Then it's as putrid as a weekend day. Every one of the 8 public holidays in the past 2 years has had crap weather. Not a single one has been even half decent. It's beyond parody 

The past 2 years is when we could be doing with good weather more than ever and this is the monstrously vile crap we get. It's just relentless.

After today we should have the wettest September since 2010. With more stinking atrocious filth coming up in the days ahead I wonder if it could end up wettest since 1995. Certainly looks possible 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Saint Snow
27 September 2021 15:00:55

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

However, such a spell of weather is officially only regarded as an Indian Summer if it is preceded by the first frosts of the combined autumn/winter season. Since we haven't even come close to getting a frost during this autumn so far, this spell of weather cannot therefpre, be referred to as an Indian Summer.

Another phrase that's been hijacked by the serially dim, and ends up commonly meaning something it wasn't intended to (like 'staycation')

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
tallyho_83
27 September 2021 15:06:44

With more stinking atrocious filth coming up in the days ahead I wonder if it could end up wettest since 1995. Certainly looks possible 

Send the rain down here - the south needs the rain - we have had our first shower today for first time this September but tomorrow is when real autumn will start. I look forward to cooler nights at the very least and at least this wind and rain will blow away all the cobwebs!!

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
27 September 2021 15:38:00

As if getting the first summer-half month for 7 years, in which no weekend day managed 7 hours of sun, wasn't grim enough to top it off we now have the vilest and most horrific local holiday monday imagineable. A complete washout 

What about yesterday though? The webcam that Doctor Mog linked to showed quite glorious conditions in Aberdeen.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos: