Gavin P
  • Gavin P
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
18 January 2020 14:05:54

Hello folks,

Here's the weather forecast for the week ahead (including the traditional Written Thoughts)

https://www.gavsweathervids.com/weather-forecast-for-the-week-ahead.php

Much drier and start cold with frost and fog.

Thanks as ever for your support and to Brian and the Mods for making it happen! 

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Hungry Tiger
18 January 2020 14:36:05

Great stuff Gavin P.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

cultman1
18 January 2020 14:54:09
Thanks Gav
I have read elsewhere that HP and colder temperatures could persist beyond next weekend especially for the south ?
johncs2016
18 January 2020 15:00:58

Thanks Gav.

I suppose that for here in Scotland, our winter borefest goes on to an even greater extent.

It's just a shame that this big area of high pressure couldn't reposition itself either to our north or west, so that it brings in either some really cold air from Siberia with bitterly cold easterly winds and a lot of snow, or a direct northerly blast from the Arctic.

That would just be wishful thinking though and as we all know, that is something which doesn't tend to ever happen at this time of the year when we really want that the most.

I suppose though at other times of the year, it would be a completely story and because of that, I've lost track of all of the times that we've had "if only it were winter" synoptic setups even in the middle of summer, which have resulted in us getting a lot of rain from a cold trough that is sitting right over the UK underneath the northern blocking which is around at that time.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ktaylor
18 January 2020 15:10:40

Just be nice to have some dry weather for a while. Fed up with it being wet every day. Just means trying to de-ice the car everyday cause I bet it will be frosty

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
ARTzeman
18 January 2020 16:29:37

Thank you, Gavin. Sunshine instead of rain.  Great.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Gavin P
  • Gavin P
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
18 January 2020 17:08:35

^^^^

Thanks guys! 

Agreed it will be nice to have a break from the rain. It's just what we all need I think.

Cultman it's always possible that high pressure will hang around longer than the models think but at the moment the gradual decline of the high seems to be pretty well modeled so we'll see.

John, hopefully you'll get some northerlies before the end of the winter. Time will tell.

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
19 January 2020 11:11:04

Thanks Gavin.  ALIWBM by Sunday.  Good to see there will be some gof during the week, as well.

But I'm puzzled about this chap Hugh, and why is he pressing, and on what?

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
johncs2016
19 January 2020 12:04:13
I've just been watching Gav's latest spring update and first of all, the fact that last month's overall pattern has even been compared with that of December 2015 just shows what an utter and disastrous complete non-event, this so-called "winter" has been up until now.

However, it is interesting to note that so far, the analogues in those spring updates appear to be more or less in line with what I predicted for this spring as part of my overall prediction for this year in the thread where predictions for both this year ahead and this decade ahead are discussed. Having said that, northern blocking and easterly winds do quite commonly appear in the spring months after being completely absent during the winter, so such an outcome wouldn't surprise me one single bit.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
schmee
19 January 2020 14:06:37
Cheers Gavin
Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham