johncs2016
19 June 2018 23:31:00

As I write, it's still raining here in Edinburgh. For most of the evening, the rain was very light and patchy with very little of that actually being recorded at any of my three local stations. However, the rain has since got a lot heavier during the last couple of hours and as I write, it is now absolutely chucking it down out there.

At the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, I can confirm that a total of 6.2 mm of rain fell during yesterday with 3.2 mm of that being recorded just during the last hour alone between 11pm and midnight.

At the moment, there is still no data coming through for Edinburgh Gogarbank but according to SEPA, a total of 8.0 mm of rain had been recorded for yesterday at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 11pm with 3.8 mm of that falling in one single hour alone between 10pm and 11pm.

This is already more than enough to ensure that yesterday will now go down as official rain day at both of those stations and when the final figures for Edinburgh Gogarbank are confirmed, yesterday is also likely to go down as the wettest day of the summer so far at that station.

With there being no data coming from Edinburgh Gogarbank, I can't say what the latest temperature is at that station. For the other stations though, the temperature at midnight was 10ºC at Edinburgh Airport and 10.8ºC at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh so even with all of the rain, this is still quite a cool and fresh night here.

EDIT:

Yesterday's rainfall total at Edinburgh Gogarbank (according to SEPA) came out at 16.4 mm which makes yesterday not only the wettest day of the summer so far at that station but also, the third wettest day of 2018 there. That includes an incredible 8.4 mm of rain which fell in just one single hour alone between 11pm and midnight, so there were obviously a real torrential downpour going on at that time.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
P+ve Giant
20 June 2018 00:16:47

Cloudy, quiet condx with a balmy 17.8 C @ 85% RH. Mindful of the fact here that the adjacent woodland can radiate more stored heat than the house at this time of year! Pressure @ 1018mb/hpa  

John.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 03:15:30

Currently on a min of 16.1C so a pretty warm night.
Cloudy with a few breaks and quite windy, the clouds are scudding along at some pace.
Interesting to think that just one day before the summer solstice, today's max will probably not be much higher than it is now.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 04:08:30

A mild night!  Currently 18.1c, sunny with a light breeze. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
20 June 2018 05:19:07

Dry. Cloudy.16·0c. Breeze S. Westerly 6 mph. Pressure 1000·1 hPa. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 05:38:04

Cloudy light drizzle 16C. SW wind F3.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
schmee
20 June 2018 05:41:19
15c cloudy
Observations from around GUILDFORD in SURREY and now Nottingham
marco 79
20 June 2018 06:01:42
Sunny....another humid night with a min of 15.1c....currently 17.3c....freshening wind from the SW.....1019mb
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
Gusty
20 June 2018 06:16:51

Morning 

A cloudy start with evidence of the coastal and hill fog starting to thin a little just now.

15.1c following a low of 14.7c

RH 95%. Dewpoint 14c

Pressure 1021.2 Hpa steady

Wind SW 5 mph

Rain - Nil

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
20 June 2018 06:22:59
Very mild overnight with a low of 16C
The frontal 'rain' is here but as expected it is a hint of drizzle on the wind.

Skreever
20 June 2018 06:44:30
Cloudy and dry

Wind W light breeze

Temp 10.5C
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
bradders
20 June 2018 07:46:54

Cloudy but dry in Pickering.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
johncs2016
20 June 2018 07:49:30
So far, it's been a thoroughly wet and miserable morning here in Edinburgh and at 8pm this morning, the very staggering total of 27.6 mm of rain has been recorded for today so far at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh with 8.4 mm of that falling in one single hour alone between midnight and 1am this morning. That easily makes today not just the wettest day of this summer so far, but also the wettest day of 2018 so far at that station.

There is still no data coming from Edinburgh Gogarbank but according to SEPA, a total of 16.8 mm of rain had fallen there during today so far as at 7am this morning which makes today, the wettest day of the summer so far at that station and the third wettest day of 2018 there.

Clearly as well, this also means that today will go down as yet another official rain day at both of those stations although that is quite a massive understatement in this case.

With there being no data coming from Edinburgh Gogarbank, I can't confirm the latest sunshine totals for that station but since we are so firmly into the annual June permacast just now, I don't need any actual data to confirm that there is probably nothing in the way of sunshine, having been recorded for today so far at that station as at 8am this morning.

Last night's minimum temperatures were 10ºC at Edinburgh Airport and 10.1ºC at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8am this morning was 10ºC at Edinburgh Airport and 10.5ºC at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
idj20
20 June 2018 09:07:30

Rather cloudy, although it does look like it is trying to brighten up (increasing light levels). However, it's still feeling rather cool and fresh at 15.8 C despite the 91% H under a light south west breeze

Folkestone Harbour. 
Crepuscular Ray
20 June 2018 09:26:55
A very wet night in southern Scotland with over 30mm in 12 hours in places. Flooding on the M8. John has reported more detailed figures for Edinburgh.
After such a dry May, June is much wetter already.
The cloud is thinning here now and I'm looking forward to a protracted dry, warm and sunny spell ☀️
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Arcus
20 June 2018 09:38:23
Muggy night last night - overnight low of 18c. Narrow band of light rain has passed through, now breezier and fresher with some sunshine, 20c
Ben,
Nr. Easingwold, North Yorkshire
30m asl
noodle doodle
20 June 2018 10:05:06

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

A very wet night in southern Scotland with over 30mm in 12 hours in places. Flooding on the M8. John has reported more detailed figures for Edinburgh.
After such a dry May, June is much wetter already.
The cloud is thinning here now and I'm looking forward to a protracted dry, warm and sunny spell ☀️

Looking at the SEPA gauges, 5% of Edinburgh's annual rainfall fell overnight. Sweet.

johncs2016
20 June 2018 10:12:57

Originally Posted by: noodle doodle 

Looking at the SEPA gauges, 5% of Edinburgh's annual rainfall fell overnight. Sweet.

What has also happened as well, is that more rain fell during that overnight period than the total rainfall for the entire month of June going into that event. It wasn't that long ago though, since we were in an absolute drought and actually looking for some much needed rainfall for the gardens. After what happened last night though, I think that we've had enough rain for now and so, a spell of decent weather such as what is being forecast for the end of the week will now, be gratefully welcomed in these parts.

That just goes to show how much, a single weather event can completely change the overall perspective on things.

ARTzeman
20 June 2018 11:06:54

Dry with a breeze of 10 mph S. Westerly. 19.8c Humidity 73%rh.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
20 June 2018 11:36:37

The rain has cleared away from earlier on, but the annual June permacast is still continuing to remain in full swing because instead of that rain, we're now just back to constant grey skies all the time, and yet another soul-destroying and depressing grey nothingness.

The data from Edinburgh Gogarbank has started to come through again but so far, this hasn't done anything other to confirm what I have been able to guess without any problems anyway, that nothing in the way of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at that particular station as at 12 noon.

The temperatures are rather abysmal for this time of year and at 12 noon, that all important temperature was 12.6ºC at Edinburgh Gogarbank, 13ºC at Edinburgh Airport and 12.5ºC at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. Absolutely pathetic!!