Chunky Pea
03 August 2022 13:59:29

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

An eruption has now started (relatively close to last year’s)

Thought this was going to be a bust, but great stuff! 


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

Windy Willow
03 August 2022 14:01:53

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

An eruption has now started (relatively close to last year’s)

Pretty much 11 months since it went to sleep, exciting to see it woke up again


119.4 m /391.7 feet asl

Sunny Dartford, NW Kent

picturesareme
03 August 2022 14:06:35

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

An eruption has now started (relatively close to last year’s)

Either that's been going a little while or the lava has poured out fast. At first I thought that was an old lava field but you can see in bottom left it's burning at the edge. 

doctormog
03 August 2022 14:08:52

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

 

Either that's been going a little while or the lava has poured out fast. At first I thought that was an old lava field but you can see in bottom left it's burning at the edge. 

I might be wrong but I think it is based on an old lava field but is now extending it having erupted through the previous lava. It will be interesting to see what develops.


picturesareme
03 August 2022 14:11:08

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

 

I might be wrong but I think it is based on an old lava field but is now extending it having erupted through the previous lava. It will be interesting to see what develops.

The whole outline of the lava field is now glowing making me think it's probably fresh lava, or more is erupting underneath. 

Chunky Pea
03 August 2022 14:12:32

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

 

The whole outline of the lava field is now glowing making me think it's probably fresh lava, or more is erupting underneath. 

Has all the hallmarks of a classic Icelandic fissure. 


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

doctormog
03 August 2022 14:14:27

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

 

The whole outline of the lava field is now glowing making me think it's probably fresh lava, or more is erupting underneath. 

Yes, I wonder if it has spread out and/or melted some of the old lava as well as, as you say, more erupting underneath.

And yes agreed Patrick it definitely has that Icelandic fissure look about it.


Chunky Pea
03 August 2022 15:40:27

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

 

Yes, I wonder if it has spread out and/or melted some of the old lava as well as, as you say, more erupting underneath.

And yes agreed Patrick it definitely has that Icelandic fissure look about it.

I'm trying to place the location of that new opening in the map I remember in my head from last year, and I just can't! 


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

doctormog
03 August 2022 15:57:58

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

 

I'm trying to place the location of that new opening in the map I remember in my head from last year, and I just can't! 

See the red line on this image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZPiWJPUsAE4SMp?format=jpg&name=large 


Chunky Pea
03 August 2022 16:04:48

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

 

See the red line on this image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZPiWJPUsAE4SMp?format=jpg&name=large 

Ah, thanks. Definitely a new fissure so given its alignment. Also seems to be in a location where fresh lava flow will not threaten to close off main road along the south coast as was much feared during the first eruption. Though these are very much early days yet. 


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

doctormog
03 August 2022 16:09:45

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

 

Ah, thanks. Definitely a new fissure so given its alignment. Also seems to be in a location where fresh lava flow will not threaten to close off main road along the south coast as was much feared during the first eruption. Though these are very much early days yet. 

Here is another image showing the location of the new fissure a bit more clearly: https://i2.wp.com/www.volcanocafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/map.png?ssl=1

As ever there is some great info at VolcanoCafe.


Chunky Pea
03 August 2022 16:17:21

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

 

Here is another image showing the location of the new fissure a bit more clearly: https://i2.wp.com/www.volcanocafe.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/map.png?ssl=1

As ever there is some great info at VolcanoCafe.

Perfect, thanks! 

Nice drone image of the new opening in that VolcanoCafe link. 

I video captured the the moment the fissure opened from one of the MDL cams while it is still available and will post up here later, just so as to keep for posterity. The thing about these sort of eruptions is that the can last only a few hours or days,, or could go on for months! 


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

doctormog
03 August 2022 16:19:24

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

 

Perfect, thanks! 

Nice drone image of the new opening in that VolcanoCafe link. 

I video captured the the moment the fissure opened from one of the MDL cams while it is still available and will post up here later, just so as to keep for posterity. The thing about these sort of eruptions is that the can last only a few hours or days,, or could go on for months! 

While I’m at it here’s a link to several more images from a Coast Guard helicopter this afternoon. They give a nice indication of current scale and context: https://www.facebook.com/Almannavarnir 


Chunky Pea
03 August 2022 16:23:52

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

 

While I’m at it here’s a link to several more images from a Coast Guard helicopter this afternoon. They give a nice indication of current scale and context: https://www.facebook.com/Almannavarnir 

Another great link! Bookmarked.

'JustIcelandic' on YT has just uploaded some footage. Not very close but he'll have better footage up later on no doubt. 

BIG NEWS - A Volcanic Eruption Just Started in Iceland - The First Video - YouTube

 


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

Windy Willow
03 August 2022 16:34:56

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

 

Another great link! Bookmarked.

'JustIcelandic' on YT has just uploaded some footage. Not very close but he'll have better footage up later on no doubt. 

BIG NEWS - A Volcanic Eruption Just Started in Iceland - The First Video - YouTube

 

You beat me to it lol  i rather enjoy JustIcelandics film clips, they're always informative and often entertaining.


119.4 m /391.7 feet asl

Sunny Dartford, NW Kent

Chunky Pea
03 August 2022 16:38:47

Originally Posted by: Windy Willow 

 

You beat me to it lol  i rather enjoy JustIcelandics film clips, they're always informative and often entertaining.

Yep, his videos and musing are always a delight to behold  

We just need 'Gutin Tog' now come in on the act once again too. A real character it has to be said but he always managed to capture some great footage too. 


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

doctormog
03 August 2022 19:20:30
RUV have a new webcam of the eruption:

Chunky Pea
04 August 2022 13:15:36
Came across these lads last night who got some great close up footage of the new eruption.

A channel worth subscribing to I reckon.


"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022

Darren S
04 August 2022 14:05:02
I knew it wouldn't be long before the guy from Reykjavik Grapevine was on the case. Amazing footage here!


Darren

Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)

Winter 2022/3 @18/12 2100: Snow Days: 1 Snow Cover Days: 7 Current Depth: 0 cm Max Depth: <0.5 cm Total Depth: <0.5 cm

South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:

2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm

picturesareme
04 August 2022 17:09:00

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

I knew it wouldn't be long before the guy from Reykjavik Grapevine was on the case. Amazing footage here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQI1Ws572gE

And the sheer scale of the lava in the video is impressive. This was 6 hours after it started.

Users browsing this topic

    Ads