Darren S
29 June 2019 10:26:30

Originally Posted by: Gusty 


 


Any chance of a CET rise of 1c today to rescue my campaign ? .



We need a CET of about 43C for today I think. 


Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
ARTzeman
30 June 2019 09:56:02

Met Office Hadley     14.4c      Anomaly      0.3c. Provisional to 29th.


Metcheck                  14.41c      Anomaly      0.26c


Netweather               14.04c      Anomaly      0.75c


Mean of my 10 stations 14.90c.  Anomaly   0.43c.   






Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
30 June 2019 13:05:18

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 


Met Office Hadley     14.04c      Anomaly      0.3c. Provisional to 29th.


Metcheck                  14.41c      Anomaly      0.26c


Netweather               14.04c      Anomaly      0.75c


Mean of my 10 stations 14.90c.  Anomaly   0.43c.   


Art, I suspect there may be a rogue 0 in the MetO figure!  


Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
01 July 2019 10:00:08

End Temperatures for June 2019


Metcheck           14.50c.      Anomaly     0.35c


Netweather        14.96c       Anomaly     0.87c


Mean of my 10 stations  14.98c   Difference  0.35c. Using a 6- Year Average of 15.33.        






Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Gavin D
johncs2016
01 July 2019 10:22:05

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 


June confirmed as 14.2c


https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/mly_cet_mean_sort.txt



Interesting as this this means that June's CET figure was 0.3°C colder than the 1981-2010 June CET average.


I know that I said in the July thread that I don't want anything more to do with the CET competition from now on, but I will just say that it looks as though it is those members who posted the coldest values for their predictions who have come the closest this time, so it looks to be between Snowshoe and Roonie as to who has actually won this time.


The actual winner for June will of be announced here in due course but in advance, I would like to congratulate whoever that winner ends up being. As for my own guess, I was too high with my guess as I had expected but then, so was nearly everyone else's guesses and it turns out that I was actually closer than the vast majority of those who entered into last month's competition.


 


The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
The Professional
01 July 2019 10:31:04
Final answer 14.25c so congratulations to Snowshoe.

Another decent month for me - another victory for the 'mathematical approach' (with apologies to Stormchaser!).
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 July 2019 10:50:42

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 


 


Interesting as this this means that June's CET figure was 0.3°C colder than the 1981-2010 June CET average.


I know that I said in the July thread that I don't want anything more to do with the CET competition from now on, but I will just say that it looks as though it is those members who posted the coldest values for their predictions who have come the closest this time, so it looks to be between Snowshoe and Roonie as to who has actually won this time.


The actual winner for June will of be announced here in due course but in advance, I would like to congratulate whoever that winner ends up being. As for my own guess, I was too high with my guess as I had expected but then, so was nearly everyone else's guesses and it turns out that I was actually closer than the vast majority of those who entered into last month's competition.


 



Pretty pleased with my 14.4C prediction for June.


But really John you should reconsider your decision to pull out of the competition. You are clearly still interested in it, otherwise you wouldn't have made this post. It would be a shame to leave over such a relatively trivial matter.


Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
johncs2016
01 July 2019 11:16:24

Originally Posted by: Col 


 


Pretty pleased with my 14.4C prediction for June.


But really John you should reconsider your decision to pull out of the competition. You are clearly still interested in it, otherwise you wouldn't have made this post. It would be a shame to leave over such a relitively trivail matter.



Just because I don't want anything to do with the competition from now on though, doesn't necessarily mean that I suddenly have no interest whatsoever on how everyone else is doing in it.


To understand that concept, I can use a football match as an example. I might not be able to play football and take part in that particular match as a result (even if I could actually play football, I might not want to or be able to play in that particular match for whatever reason).


Even under these circumstances though, I will be still be interested enough in that game to then watch it and follow my team despite the fact that I am not actually playing in that match.


That is how I have now decided to treat the CET competition from now on. I can see where you're coming from though because by reading back over this thread, I can see that it wasn't all that long before you were contemplating pulling out of the CET competition yourself.


As for the July competition, I PM'ed my guess to GW just before I submitted my first post on the thread for that which led to everything which happened afterwards on that thread. Since then though, I have never actually PM'ed GW to formally withdraw that entry.


Given what has recently happened, GW has the right to formally withdraw my entry anyway since he is the one who is actually running this competition and if he does choose to take that path, then that is fair enough by me. If on the other hand, GW decides not to go down that path, this means that my entry for July is still there which would mean technically speaking, I have still not yet actually left the competition.


What my decision to leave the CET competition does mean though is that if my July entry is still there and valid, it would be the last one which I formally made from now on so my leaving date would come into effect from August.


In any case, we as Brits have a cheek to be speaking out about leaving anything given that we as a nation did after all, vote to leave the EU and just as there are members of this forum trying to convince me that I shouldn't leave the CET competition, I'm sure that there are other EU nations which will equally be trying to convince the UK what we shouldn't be leaving the EU after all. However, that is a matter for another forum, so I won't go any further into that here.


 


The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 July 2019 11:42:15

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 


 


Just because I don't want anything to do with the competition from now on though, doesn't necessarily mean that I suddenly have no interest whatsoever on how everyone else is doing in it.


To understand that concept, I can use a football match as an example. I might not be able to play football and take part in that particular match as a result (even if I could actually play football, I might not want to or be able to play in that particular match for whatever reason).


Even under these circumstances though, I will be still be interested enough in that game to then watch it and follow my team despite the fact that I am not actually playing in that match.


That is how I have now decided to treat the CET competition from now on. I can see where you're coming from though because by reading back over this thread, I can see that it wasn't all that long before you were contemplating pulling out of the CET competition yourself.



That is very true. However I misunderstood what GW had said regarding changes to what he was going to post in the monthly CET thread, and I anticipated arguments about it, something I can't be bothered with. But the changes were minor so that was fine.


Quote:


As for the July competition, I PM'ed my guess to GW just before I submitted my first post on the thread for that which led to everything which happened afterwards on that thread. Since then though, I have never actually PM'ed GW to formally withdraw that entry.


Given what has recently happened, GW has the right to formally withdraw my entry anyway since he is the one who is actually running this competition and if he does choose to take that path, then that is fair enough by me. If on the other hand, GW decides not to go down that path, this means that my entry for July is still there which would mean technically speaking, I have still not yet actually left the competition.


What my decision to leave the CET competition does mean though is that if my July entry is still there and valid, it would be the last one which I formally made from now on so my leaving date would come into effect from August.


In any case, we as Brits have a cheek to be speaking out about leaving anything given that we as a nation did after all, vote to leave the EU and just as there are members of this forum trying to convince me that I shouldn't leave the CET competition, I'm sure that there are other EU nations which will equally be trying to convince the UK what we shouldn't be leaving the EU after all. However, that is a matter for another forum, so I won't go any further into that here.


 



Hahahahaha... Brexit! I'm not even going to ask you what your views on that are, though I think I can guess. But as you say, that is most certainly a matter for another forum!


Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Stormchaser
03 July 2019 14:42:27

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1146395311528714241


Just to hammer home how fickle the UK temps can be... it was the warmest June on record for Europe as a whole and looking at this height anomaly pattern, you can see how close we were to the Nino-like pattern of repeated destabilising heat plumes.


If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected]

https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2023's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.2°C 9th Sep (...!) | T-Min: -7.1°C 22nd & 23rd Jan | Wettest Day: 25.9mm 2nd Nov | Ice Days: 1 (2nd Dec -1.3°C in freezing fog)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Global Warming
14 July 2019 14:57:33

Here are the June charts. Very average overall but only because of a very warm last week and a very warm first couple of days. Much of the month was rather cool.


IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page


IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page


IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Global Warming
14 July 2019 14:59:40

We did have one exceptional day in June on the 29th. We didn't quite break the mean CET date record for that day but we did break the maximum CET record for the whole of June.


Days with a June maximum CET above 30C (since records began in 1878)


29 June 2019  30.6C


28 June 1976  30.3C


29 June 1976  30.1C


26 June 1878  30.0C


02 June 1947  30.0C


That 1947 figure is quite amazing given how early it is in the month. Then again we did see 29.9C on 6 June 1950

Global Warming
15 July 2019 21:37:27

Annual CET competition - June update


Finally here is the updated table to the end of June.


Shoeshoe was the winner of the June competition with a prediction of 14.30C. The actual CET was 14.25C.


No change at the top or bottom of the table this month. GezM still leads the way but will that still be the position at the end of July? Col moves back up to second and The Professional to third.


The highest climber this month is Windy Willow up nine to 18th.


Link to full sized table


IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Saint Snow
16 July 2019 11:21:33

Cheers, GW



Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
16 July 2019 15:21:30

Cheers GW!  


Crikey!  I’m sinking fast!  I’m in good company though with SC and HT.  


Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Bertwhistle
16 July 2019 16:32:54

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 


Annual CET competition - June update


Finally here is the updated table to the end of June.


Shoeshoe was the winner of the June competition with a prediction of 14.30C. The actual CET was 14.25C.


No change at the top or bottom of the table this month. GezM still leads the way but will that still be the position at the end of July? Col moves back up to second and The Professional to third.


The highest climber this month is Windy Willow up nine to 18th.


Link to full sized table


IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page



Thanks for that GW- I have slipped again; however, I would brag that I am among the most consistently accurate in that all 6 of my months have been within a certain margin- no vast errors in any month, despite risk taking in several.


(Ducks quickly down behind parapet; truth is I got lucky in February!).


Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gusty
18 July 2019 07:24:37

Thanks for the helpful update GW, 


 


Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 



Global Warming
20 July 2019 13:39:18

Here are the daily temperature maximums for June. No date records again this month although we were close on the 29th.


So far only February has seen date records this month when there were 6


Link to full size table


IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Users browsing this topic

    Ads