Bolty
  • Bolty
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
12 August 2018 23:13:45

The nights are quickly creeping up on us and nature is now getting that tired late summer look. It only means one thing: autumn is fast approaching. What are people's views this year?

My guess is that given the prolonged spell of predominantly dry weather this summer, and how many other hot and dry summers have met their demise, it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the autumn months was notably wet this year. Somehow, I just get the hunch for a very Atlantic-dominated autumn...

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
springsunshine
13 August 2018 18:49:41

Agree about one of the autumn months being wet6&wild but this thread is too early enjoy the last few weeks of summer.

Bertwhistle
13 August 2018 19:35:40

Interesting. When the heat peaked in August (as in 1990, 1995 and 2003) the September was a let-down. But when the heat slackened in August (as in 1999 and 2006) there was a September recharge.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
westv
13 August 2018 21:06:47
Not long before we can say "Winter is over."
At least it will be mild!
Bolty
  • Bolty
13 August 2018 22:38:51

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Interesting. When the heat peaked in August (as in 1990, 1995 and 2003) the September was a let-down. But when the heat slackened in August (as in 1999 and 2006) there was a September recharge.

I thought September 2003 was quite warm? At least the pre-equinox part of it was.

Scott
My weather station 
Crepuscular Ray
14 August 2018 07:18:10
I think Autumn is here early. So dull and gloomy on most days in August with max just below 15 C on last two days and drizzle and fog!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
14 August 2018 21:18:34

I thought that it was a bit early to be starting an Autumn chat thread since we are still technically, in our meteorological summer which doesn't officially end until 31 August. However, Jerry in the above comment is right to say that autumn has arrived early in this part of the world.

This has after all, been the best example of a front-loaded summer which you can get in this part of the world. As far as this summer goes, June and the first half of July were really good with a lot of hot sunshine and temperatures even in this part of the world, getting not all that far short of 30°C on a couple of occasions.

In fact, I can remember that in his summer forecast video, Gavin P. (if Gavin P. is reading this, I hope that you get the problems with your phone line sorted out so that we can get back to getting some really good video content from you, as today hasn't been the same without that) predicted that this would be a front-loaded summer. For a while, it had looked as though this wouldn't end up being the case especially with the models continuing to point towards that really good weather carrying on, after we had got to the middle of July.

However, the second of July then ended up being wetter and more unsettled here. August has had one warm and dry spell within it, but even that period was duller than anything which we saw during the first half of the summer and August as a whole, has been a very poor month, especially during the last few days which have been absolutely horrendous in this part of the world. In the end, nature always balances itself out which means that we were always going to end up paying for the dry summer (and late spring) which we have had.

I believe that the last few days have just been the start of that process which I believe, will then carry on into the autumn. Because of that, it is difficult to see anything happening, other than a zonal, Atlantic dominated autumn with quite a lot of rain, and we can only hope that by the end of the autumn, some blocking will have at least, started to show a few signs of returning and thus, generating some hope for those of us who then want to be seeing a cold winter.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bolty
  • Bolty
25 August 2018 08:55:33

Looks like parts of Scotland got very close to a frost this morning. 2C at Kielder and 1C at Cairngorm Summit.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1033243325816438784

Scott
My weather station 
doctormog
25 August 2018 09:02:45
Autumn has been OK so far but nothing special for the first three weeks.

25 August 2018 09:12:04

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Looks like parts of Scotland got very close to a frost this morning. 2C at Kielder and 1C at Cairngorm Summit.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1033243325816438784

Cairngorm Summit 0.5C

Non-mountain stations

Kielder 2.1C at 0600 (N England)

Tyndrum 2.7C at 0700 (Scotland)

Eskdalemuir 3.1C (Wales)

Katesbridge 3.2C at 0700 (N Ireland)

Bournemouth Hurn 3.8C (S England)

Eskdalemuir reported a grass frost (-0C). Bournemouth Hurn reported a grass minimum of 0C (which means between 0.0C and 0.5C)

doctormog
25 August 2018 09:32:50
To be honest it has been colder in parts of (low level) Scotland earlier in the month. On the 9th Aboyne had a min of 0.5°C (grass min -2°C). Aboyne also had a grass min of -1°C yesterday.
LeedsLad123
25 August 2018 09:36:06
It was 8C this morning, pretty cool but nothing too unusual. We had mornings that cool during the warm/hot spell back in late June, with some days going from 8C to 28C.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
bledur
25 August 2018 12:56:23

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Cairngorm Summit 0.5C

Non-mountain stations

Kielder 2.1C at 0600 (N England)

Tyndrum 2.7C at 0700 (Scotland)

Eskdalemuir 3.1C (Wales)

Katesbridge 3.2C at 0700 (N Ireland)

Bournemouth Hurn 3.8C (S England)

Eskdalemuir reported a grass frost (-0C). Bournemouth Hurn reported a grass minimum of 0C (which means between 0.0C and 0.5C)

Impressive low for Hurn. Eskdalemuir is Scotland