Bolty
  • Bolty
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
21 May 2017 10:53:35

When people discuss the weather in 1947, many people talk about it's incredibly cold and snowy February. What some don't realise is that 1947 was a very interesting year as a whole for weather fans, as the summer of 1947 was equally as remarkable.

After the cold spell broke in March, the UK was left with quite severe flooding due to heavy rain and snowmelt. This was followed by a topsy-turvy April, before a very warm May set up. May 1947 had a CET of 13.5C, making it currently the joint eighth warmest May for the CET. The month saw lots of warm anticyclonic weather, but it was the final week of the month that was most interesting, with a very potent plume bringing exceptionally high temperatures for the end of spring.

The heat wave kicked off properly on the 29th, with every day from the 29th of May to the 3rd of June recording 30C or higher somewhere in the UK. June 3 was the peak of the temperatures, with 34.4C being recorded in both London and Lincoln. The following are the daily maximas for every day of the heat wave. Interestingly, they all still hold the date records:

29 May: 31.7C at Lincoln

30 May: 31.7C at Kensington Palace

31 May: 32.2C at Mildenhall and Camden Square (this is one of the only occasions where 90F has been recorded in May)

1 June: 31.7C at Mildenhall, Suffolk

2 June: 33.3C at Hunstanton, Norfolk

3 June: 34.4C at Kensington Palace and Waddington, Lincs

What was even better is that this was only the beginning of an excellent summer. July 1947 was a warm month (17.0C) and August 1947 was a hot month (18.6C). What a year for weather?

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Hungry Tiger
21 May 2017 11:05:55

Thanks for putting this one on. Amazing looking at some of those figures.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Bolty
  • Bolty
21 May 2017 11:14:43

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Thanks for putting this one on. Amazing looking at some of those figures.

Cheers Gavin, you're welcome.

Scott
My weather station 
Gavin P
21 May 2017 21:40:07

Excellent review Scott!  

1947 was such an incredible year... 

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Bolty
  • Bolty
21 May 2017 22:39:43

Originally Posted by: Gavin P 

Excellent review Scott!  

1947 was such an incredible year... 

Cheers Gav!

Scott
My weather station 
Stormchaser
22 May 2017 18:57:34

Thanks for the informative post Scott 

Now just how pleasingly similar are those two charts? 

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Hungry Tiger
22 May 2017 19:01:55

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Thanks for the informative post Scott 

Now just how pleasingly similar are those two charts? 

That is excellent to put that on here. I had to look for a few moments before I could see the difference. That is really something great to go on - Even the angle of the trough out in the Atlantic - Nice and shallow as well -  it is practically in an identical position.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.