Younger Dryas
13 January 2013 12:23:25

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Originally Posted by: Younger Dryas 

A final value in the 1s is possible if it is cold enough.

I reckon the last week of the month would have to average below 0C to deliver a CET that low.

All of the rest of the month would need to do so, but this week will, so it's possible

Global Warming
13 January 2013 12:37:09

I reckon the last week of the month would have to average below 0C to deliver a CET that low.

All of the rest of the month would need to do so, but this week will, so it's possible

My calculations used for the graphs above currently show a mean CET from the 13th to the 20th of 0.1C.

Rob K
13 January 2013 19:01:42

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

My calculations used for the graphs above currently show a mean CET from the 13th to the 20th of 0.1C.

Surely it will be nothing like that high, with maxima between +2 and -1C and minima as low as -8C, at least until Saturday???

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." β€” Jerome K. Jerome
Hungry Tiger
13 January 2013 22:01:40

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Phew.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Rob K
14 January 2013 11:05:48
6.2C to the 12th - almost half a degree off in one day

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html 
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." β€” Jerome K. Jerome
Ally Pally Snowman
14 January 2013 19:54:20

5.8c to the 13th flying down needs to keep going for my CET guess to have a chance.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Rob K
15 January 2013 13:57:17
And 5.5 to the 14th - that's a 1.1 degree drop in 3 days πŸ™‚
Saint Snow
15 January 2013 22:36:39

Yeah, and....?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
15 January 2013 23:21:55

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

5.8c to the 13th flying down needs to keep going for my CET guess to have a chance.

I think it's going to fly down even faster, in which case you'll have gone too high.  In fact we all might have if today's MO comes off! 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Rob K
16 January 2013 01:10:42

I'm definitely starting to think we have a fighting chance of ending up in the 2s... the 1s might be a bridge too far but looking at some of the models I wouldn't bet against it. Plenty of runs showing the odd -15C night in the Midlands which would give a welcome boost!

Imagine if we all went too high after a near 8C first week!

Ally Pally Snowman
16 January 2013 12:48:03

Still flying down 5.2c now.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Rob K
16 January 2013 12:52:48

And looks like many places struggling to go above zero today - much of central England -3C to -4C at midday including Pershore. No doubt they will "adjust" it so it's not quite as cold though.... 

Gavin P
16 January 2013 14:58:26

Think we might take a full degree off the CET today. Severely cold in the Midlands.

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
Essan
16 January 2013 15:13:26

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

And looks like many places struggling to go above zero today - much of central England -3C to -4C at midday including Pershore. No doubt they will "adjust" it so it's not quite as cold though.... 

Actually, for once the CET station at Pershore Throckmorton (aka Vostok) isn't that much colder than anywhere else in the area! 

No doubt it'll be recording a good 5 or 6c lower than anywhere else in Worcestershire once we get some snow cover though ......

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Rob K
16 January 2013 15:40:06

Originally Posted by: Gavin P 

Think we might take a full degree off the CET today. Severely cold in the Midlands.

Don't think that is really possible this far into the month!

5.2 x 15 = 78

4.2 x 16 = 67.2

So today would have to have a CET of -10.8C. I don't think that will happen. Wait till Monday (by which time the anomaly would have to be even bigger as we would be further through the month of course...) Remember that later in the month, each day has proportionally less impact on the total.

We could see a daily CET of -4 to -5C today but they never seem to come out that cold even when everywhere has ice days and -8C minima!

Assuming an extreme case of -5C then the CET would be down to (78-5)/16 = 4.6 by tomorrow.

Then the CET for tomorrow should also be very cold, before the snow on Friday and Saturday holds minima up... then early next week all bets are off if a cold clear ridge or col settles over deep snow...

western100
16 January 2013 18:58:39

when judging a CET it is very hard to see large falls in the CET over a couple of days. The weather stations give the average but for example at my location and alititude, today it was -3 all day, however at work 10 miles away it was +1.7 degrees. Such large regional and local variations make it very false sometimes. 

There is a higher than average chance that this month will come in at around average. 

Worcestershire / Warwickshire Border
100m ASL
Twitter…..@Weather4u2
Essan
16 January 2013 19:01:57

Originally Posted by: western100 

when judging a CET it is very hard to see large falls in the CET over a couple of days. The weather stations give the average but for example at my location and alititude, today it was -3 all day, however at work 10 miles away it was +1.7 degrees. Such large regional and local variations make it very false sometimes. 

There is a higher than average chance that this month will come in at around average. 

The CET is only derived from 3 stations though, one of which is Pershore Throckmorton, so that's the one to watch.  And in cold weather it tends to be colder than anywhere else on the Midlands .....

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Younger Dryas
16 January 2013 19:08:54

Originally Posted by: Essan 

Originally Posted by: western100 

The CET is only derived from 3 stations though, one of which is Pershore Throckmorton, so that's the one to watch.  And in cold weather it tends to be colder than anywhere else on the Midlands .....

How many stations are there at Pershore?

Rob K
17 January 2013 15:20:56
A full half degree off in one day thanks to a well sub-zero CET yesterday.

Now 4.7 to the 16th

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2013 08:30:50

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

A full half degree off in one day thanks to a well sub-zero CET yesterday.

Now 4.7 to the 16th

We could see it going down as much again today because yesterday was an ice day in a lot of places as well.

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.