Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

34 Pages«<3031323334>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Saint Snow  
#621 Posted : 24 September 2018 10:06:04(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

The scientists investigating the potential for eruption of Katla have slammed scaremongering by the Media and stressed they have not said an eruption is imminent.

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

Offline doctormog  
#622 Posted : 24 September 2018 10:27:02(UTC)
doctormog

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow Go to Quoted Post

The scientists investigating the potential for eruption of Katla have slammed scaremongering by the Media and stressed they have not said an eruption is imminent.

Indeed, it is scaremongering nonsense. The paper itself is very interesting and refers to the (larger than expected) carbon dioxide emissions from the volcano in recent years. I think it highlights the potential of a large eruption and doesn’t really say that one is in any way imminent just that the volcano is still very much active and building towards its next eruption at some stage in the future.

Offline AIMSIR  
#623 Posted : 24 September 2018 19:05:32(UTC)
AIMSIR

Man

I totally agree with both of the above posts.

Sometimes media can be very annoying whilst struggling to make a big story. Made a sucker out of me a few times.

I've been following Iceland met Office on a regular basis for quite some time..No panic there..They do have a good grip on what's going on.

Edited by user 24 September 2018 19:14:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Maunder Minimum  
#624 Posted : 25 September 2018 07:20:43(UTC)
Maunder Minimum

Man

Originally Posted by: doctormog Go to Quoted Post

Indeed, it is scaremongering nonsense. The paper itself is very interesting and refers to the (larger than expected) carbon dioxide emissions from the volcano in recent years. I think it highlights the potential of a large eruption and doesn’t really say that one is in any way imminent just that the volcano is still very much active and building towards its next eruption at some stage in the future.

Agreed. The only certainty is that Katla will erupt at some point, but as you say that could still be another 100 years away.

However, given its pattern of recent centuries, Katla is overdue for an eruption. When it does blow, it is likely to have a big impact on western Europe, which is why there is so much interest in it.

EUphiles will stop at nothing to prevent the UK from regaining its lost independence.
User is suspended until 31/01/2293 12:26:49(UTC) Gray-Wolf  
#625 Posted : 25 September 2018 08:04:03(UTC)
Gray-Wolf

Man

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum Go to Quoted Post

Agreed. The only certainty is that Katla will erupt at some point, but as you say that could still be another 100 years away.

However, given its pattern of recent centuries, Katla is overdue for an eruption. When it does blow, it is likely to have a big impact on western Europe, which is why there is so much interest in it.

With ongoing changes to atmospheric circulation patterns we cannot say for sure Europe will be in the firing line though?

The past 3 winters have seen a pattern of lows entering the Arctic Basin via Svalbard so any eruption will likely see the plume directed away from Europe?

PW seems to be our self declared expert on such alterations to the Jet?

Koyaanisqatsi

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Offline Roger Parsons  
#626 Posted : 26 September 2018 06:47:49(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum Go to Quoted Post

Morning MM. I have just been reading an article by Anna Agnarsdóttir covering Sir Joseph Banks' interest in Icelandic vulcanism. You might enjoy a look.

http://blogs.bl.uk/european/2018/04/why-did-joseph-banks-go-to-iceland-in-1772.html

Roger

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline Chunky Pea  
#627 Posted : 26 September 2018 14:30:55(UTC)
Chunky Pea

Man
Ireland

Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf Go to Quoted Post

With ongoing changes to atmospheric circulation patterns we cannot say for sure Europe will be in the firing line though?

The past 3 winters have seen a pattern of lows entering the Arctic Basin via Svalbard so any eruption will likely see the plume directed away from Europe?

PW seems to be our self declared expert on such alterations to the Jet?

It could have an affect on the Arctic circulation pattern though, which could have longer term implications for Europe. 

"There are nights when the wolves fall silent and only the moon howls"

--George Carlin.

Offline Saint Snow  
#628 Posted : 26 September 2018 14:58:07(UTC)
Saint Snow

Man

On an related note, my eldest daughter was telling me about the Mary Shelley film she wants to watch.

I then went into the tale about the background to Shelley's Frankenstein story - the summer spent at the Geneva villa during the 'year without a summer' and the wet, cold weather driving them inside the house for long periods, where they passed the time writing horror stories. The 'year without a summer' was of course the result of the eruption of Tambora. And another cultural influence it had was the paintings of Turner, with the stunning sunsets caused by the tephra in the atmosphere.

My daughter wasn't as enthusiastic about the background as I am.

Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Martin

Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)

A TWO addict since 14/12/01

Offline ozone_aurora  
#629 Posted : 23 December 2018 00:14:14(UTC)
ozone_aurora

Krakatau triggered a tsunami, hitting the coast around Indonesia's Sunda Strait

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46663158.

Offline doctormog  
#630 Posted : 23 December 2018 07:40:48(UTC)
doctormog

It looks very nasty and given the past history and also (Anak) Karakatau’s “heritage” I think people are understandably worried.

It seems that the tsunami was caused by underwater activity or an underwater eruption, or at least that is the current theory. The volcano has been active for quite a long time so I’m not sure if this is a portent of something more significant.

Edit: I see that Darwin’s Volcano Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) has also noticed what appears to be an ash cloud to 55000ft in association with the eruption (although at time of writing this has yet to be confirmed).

Edited by user 23 December 2018 07:52:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Hungry Tiger  
#631 Posted : 23 December 2018 13:33:38(UTC)
Hungry Tiger

Originally Posted by: ozone_aurora Go to Quoted Post

Krakatau triggered a tsunami, hitting the coast around Indonesia's Sunda Strait

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46663158.

It's starting to look like a major incident.

Gavin S.

TWO Moderator.

Contact the TWO team - twomoderationteam@gmail.com

South Cambridgeshire. 93metres asl.

Offline Gandalf The White  
#632 Posted : 23 December 2018 14:53:16(UTC)
Gandalf The White

Man

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger Go to Quoted Post

It's starting to look like a major incident.

Indeed.  Obviously made worse by the tsunami htting at night and with no warnings (because it wasn't triggered by an earthquake).

Currently over 200 dead and 800 injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-46664024

One positive is that this occurred not far from Jakarta so help has reached the area very quickly.

130 metres ASL

52.2N 0.5E

Brexit: proof that you can fool people into making a stupid choice

Offline Gandalf The White  
#633 Posted : 23 December 2018 14:58:18(UTC)
Gandalf The White

Man

Originally Posted by: doctormog Go to Quoted Post

It looks very nasty and given the past history and also (Anak) Karakatau’s “heritage” I think people are understandably worried.

It seems that the tsunami was caused by underwater activity or an underwater eruption, or at least that is the current theory. The volcano has been active for quite a long time so I’m not sure if this is a portent of something more significant.

Edit: I see that Darwin’s Volcano Ash Advisory Center (VAAC) has also noticed what appears to be an ash cloud to 55000ft in association with the eruption (although at time of writing this has yet to be confirmed).

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/indonesia-tsunami-what-is-anak-krakatoa-volcano-11057966

The 'child of Krakatoa' has grown to 1,000 feet asl since it emerged in 1928.  That's close on one foot per month.  I must admit I didn't realise it was that active.

130 metres ASL

52.2N 0.5E

Brexit: proof that you can fool people into making a stupid choice

Offline doctormog  
#634 Posted : 23 December 2018 15:00:16(UTC)
doctormog

I didn’t realise it was growing at that rate. That really is very impressive.
Offline Steve  
#635 Posted : 23 December 2018 15:27:01(UTC)
Steve

I've visited Anak Krakatau (during a quieter period) and have a piece of it on my bookshelf.

When you stand on the shore and look around at Rakata, Sertung and Panjang islands - the remaining fragments of the huge 1883 eruption - the sense of awe is almost overwhelming. You really feel you are standing on a pressure cooker and this small island, Anak Krakatau (the Child of Krakatau), is the valve ready to blow.

Indonesia is a wonderful, beautiful country...shaped the destructive power of the natural world.

Offline Roger Parsons  
#636 Posted : 23 December 2018 15:41:57(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Man

I found these websites useful when teaching about volcanoes and earthquakes.

USGS Earthquake Hazard page

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Volcano and Earthquake Resources page

http://www.colby.edu/geology/V&e.html

Roger

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

No county (Lincolnshire) has better churches and worse houses. The poorer sort of people wash their clothes with hog's dung, and burn dried cow's dung for want of better fuel; whence comes the Lincolnshire proverb: "Where the hogs shite soap and the cows shite fire".

Curiosities of Great Britain (c.1780)

Offline ozone_aurora  
#637 Posted : 23 December 2018 17:10:38(UTC)
ozone_aurora

Offline doctormog  
#638 Posted : 23 December 2018 17:35:24(UTC)
doctormog

There is a little more information (from the same site) here https://www.volcanodisco...ion-of-the-eruption.html
Offline DEW  
#639 Posted : 25 December 2018 22:08:16(UTC)
DEW

Man

I can understand Indonesian leaders promising a new tsunami warning system, on the principle of must be seen to do something - but it seems a bit doubtful that the 10 minutes or less warning in this case would have made a great deal of difference. For larger earthquake-based tsunamis, they will have to crack the problem of pilfering of spare parts from buoys or go for a (?) more expensive sea-floor system

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys
Offline DEW  
#640 Posted : 27 December 2018 06:43:12(UTC)
DEW

Man

Eruption of Krakatau continues with the news that it's now the subject of  3-mile exclusion zone for aircraft.

Meanwhile Etna renews its activity. The associated earthquake is stated to be unusual  for an Etna eruption - I'd have said that too - and the end of the article has a slightly ominous tailpiece about increased seismicity at Vesuvius which has averaged an eruption every 60 years over 2 millennia. (Last eruption was 1944)

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/26/680283644/sicily-is-shaken-by-earthquake-as-mount-etna-erupts-once-again 

It was most foule weather ... and so we went into an alehouse - Samuel Pepys