Rob K
20 July 2022 17:27:39

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

Seem Birmingham not reached 38C 100F? as there not on the list, nearest to me is Coleshill than Coventry which my app Nuneaton briefly reached 39C 

Birmingham airport reached 37C and Winterbourne 37.4. Coleshill was the nearest to break 38 but didn't beat the old record, which was my cutoff for that list.

Incidentally, I have found a link to one of the other mystery manual stations, Denver Complex near Downham Market. It looks like they may only upload their data once a month as there are only figures up to 1 July!

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/2022062911z6yt85qee63pqxyyb96scn7a

So there's a very very outside chance we might have another challenger.

A better placed manual station appears on the Met Office list, Tetford near Horncastle in Lincs, but there is no sign of it on WOW.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Jiries
20 July 2022 17:41:10

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Birmingham airport reached 37C and Winterbourne 37.4. Coleshill was the nearest to break 38 but didn't beat the old record, which was my cutoff for that list.

Incidentally, I have found a link to one of the other mystery manual stations, Denver Complex near Downham Market. It looks like they may only upload their data once a month as there are only figures up to 1 July!

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/2022062911z6yt85qee63pqxyyb96scn7a

So there's a very very outside chance we might have another challenger.

A better placed manual station appears on the Met Office list, Tetford near Horncastle in Lincs, but there is no sign of it on WOW.

Thanks for replying and really surprised how low 37C in Birmingham and perhaps the geographic area limited the heat amount compare to Nuneaton which is only 12 miles north east from there.  Nuneaton not far from Leicester and after that Nottingham.

Charmhills
20 July 2022 17:45:22

40c Heat, A One Off Or More To Come? - CW Weather (chorleyweather.com)

An interesting article.

Loughborough, EM.

Knowledge is power, ignorance is weakness.

Duane.
Ally Pally Snowman
20 July 2022 17:52:52

Apparently Fair Isle set its highest ever temperature yesterday as well 22.6c

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Rob K
20 July 2022 18:10:43

Just searching through the WOW website and there are three other manual stations in the 39s that got missed off.

Wakefield (Thornes Park) 39.5C

Buntingford No 2 39.2C

Cawood 39.1C

Denver Complex (Norfolk), Wallington (Northumberland) and Oxford Radcliffe only report monthly so there's a while to wait there.

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Tim A
20 July 2022 18:20:21
I wondered if Cawood was still operational. To be honest thought that would be higher than Bramham and Wakefield as it's in that prime sea level location near Selby right in the southern Vale of York However never heard of it ever topping any top temp charts so perhaps it's in a local cool spot/ too close to the River Ooze.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

scillydave
20 July 2022 21:50:11
Does anyone know what the CET was for yesterday? It must've smashed the record.
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
picturesareme
20 July 2022 22:09:11
Really humid today especially this evening.

Currently shy of 21C with a dew point a little over 18C so a relative humidity of around 86% 🥵 which is being made worse with no wind, and an indoor temperature much higher!
Rob K
21 July 2022 06:37:07

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

Does anyone know what the CET was for yesterday? It must've smashed the record.

28.1C mean, so almost 3C above the old record of 25.3C from July 2019)

37.3C max (pre-2022 record was 34.2C, although July 18 was 34.8C)

18.9C minimum, second highest on record (record is 19.5C in July 2016)

scillydave
21 July 2022 06:48:40

28.1C mean, so almost 3C above the old record of 25.3C from July 2019)

37.3C max (pre-2022 record was 34.2C, although July 18 was 34.8C)

18.9C minimum, second highest on record (record is 19.5C in July 2016)

Wow - that's extraordinary.  I don't think that will be beaten for some considerable time.

Thanks for the info Rob

Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Rob K
21 July 2022 11:45:48

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

Wow - that's extraordinary.  I don't think that will be beaten for some considerable time.

Thanks for the info Rob

It's pretty amazing really. The average CET maximum would have been a new UK temperature record before 2003. Never mind 40C being reached, I think this is the most incredible stat of the day. Just shows the enormous extent of the heat.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
21 July 2022 11:52:17

It's pretty amazing really. The average CET maximum would have been a new UK temperature record before 2003. Never mind 40C being reached, I think this is the most incredible stat of the day. Just shows the enormous extent of the heat.

Yes!  I think it was the extent of the heat that made this so remarkable and is what it should be remembered for, because previous records have been quite localised.

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
21 July 2022 13:07:03

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Yes!  I think it was the extent of the heat that made this so remarkable and is what it should be remembered for, because previous records have been quite localised.

This is very true but let's not forget that the overall record was broken by a massive 1.6C. Now for a reliable record of around 150 years that's a huge jump. In an essentially stable climate in that time period we should surely only be expecting records in mere increments, a tenth of a degree here, a couple of tenths there and even then only ocurring every few decades.This is even bigger than the jump between 1990 and 2003 which was in itself was a remarkable 1.4C. Amazing to think that prior to 1990 we hadn't even hit 37C.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
21 July 2022 13:23:54

Originally Posted by: Col 

This is very true but let's not forget that the overall record was broken by a massive 1.6C. Now for a reliable record of around 150 years that's a huge jump. In an essentially stable climate in that time period we should surely only be expecting records in mere increments, a tenth of a degree here, a couple of tenths there and even then only ocurring every few decades.This is even bigger than the jump between 1990 and 2003 which was in itself was a remarkable 1.4C. Amazing to think that prior to 1990 we hadn't even hit 37C.

You’re absolutely right, of course!  Two things it should be remembered for and they are no doubt related, as I would think a large area of high temperatures would lose less heat from mixing with cooler air.   

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Tim A
21 July 2022 13:37:49
It was just incredible and such a jump.

E.g
Coningsby beat it's previously warmest temperature by 5.5c.
Officially, the temperature (37.4) at Bingley at 262m on a windswept Pennine Moor (not a warm place at all normally!) was higher than anywhere else in the UK had experienced until 2003.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Joe Bloggs
21 July 2022 15:07:42

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

E.g
Officially, the temperature (37.4) at Bingley at 262m on a windswept Pennine Moor (not a warm place at all normally!) was higher than anywhere else in the UK had experienced until 2003.

37.4C at Bingley is perhaps the most impressive result of them all. Simply incredible. 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

LeedsLad123
21 July 2022 15:14:20

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

E.g

Bingley has a higher record temperature than cities like Bristol and Southampton now

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
bledur
21 July 2022 18:53:49

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

Bingley has a higher record temperature than cities like Bristol and Southampton now

Yes, down here it did not get that hot in comparison to further north. . Only up to 34c on the monday here.. Bit strange really as the heat was coming from the south. . 

westv
21 July 2022 20:26:36
Maybe in years to come it will be one of those "do you remember where you were when it happened" moments.
At least it will be mild!
roadrunnerajn
21 July 2022 20:36:55

Originally Posted by: westv 

Maybe in years to come it will be one of those "do you remember where you were when it happened" moments.

The rate things are changing the answer might be…..Earth?

Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.