15 July 2022 06:06:33

Thin cloud, dry

Wind W light breeze

Temp 11.5C

Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
johncs2016
15 July 2022 06:12:10

It's been a long time since we last had any decent rainfall here in Edinburgh.

However, today is St. Swithin's Day and guess what, it's actually raining here just now as I write.

Luckily, it's not expected to rain for another 40 days after that according to that famous legend (the omens wouldn't exactly be good for the rest of this summer if we were able to rely on that in any way although we do badly need that rainfall here).

The model output is still not looking particularly wet here in the general outlook and for several months, we haven't even been able to get more than a day's rainfall back to back, let alone 40 days.

Meanwhile, the temperature here in Edinburgh was around 13°C at at 6am (05:00 UTC) this morning.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 06:59:42
Cool and drizzly 14C, was 11.9C overnight #heatwave
Gusty
15 July 2022 07:14:38

Unbroken sunshine. 15.9c following a dawn low of 12.8c

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 07:18:15

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

It's been a long time since we last had any decent rainfall here in Edinburgh.

However, today is St. Swithin's Day and guess what, it's actually raining here just now as I write.

Luckily, it's not expected to rain for another 40 days after that according to that famous legend (the omens wouldn't exactly be good for the rest of this summer if we were able to rely on that in any way although we do badly need that rainfall here).

The model output is still not looking particularly wet here in the general outlook and for several months, we haven't even been able to get more than a day's rainfall back to back, let alone 40 days.

Meanwhile, the temperature here in Edinburgh was around 13°C at at 6am (05:00 UTC) this morning.

I saw the rainfall radar earlier and thought of you :)

14.3C and cloudy with light winds. Hard to believe that in 3/4 days' time I could be in the high 30s.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Tim A
15 July 2022 08:25:27
Cloudy and cool here too at 14.6c .
Still dry though.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Saint Snow
15 July 2022 09:13:07

Rain here, too

The curse of the weasterly, my most hated airflow direction

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
andy-manc
15 July 2022 09:27:41

Quite a miserable cool damp morning. The forecasts have missed a few of these showers recently. Luckily I've learned my lesson and sent my little boy to school with a coat today!

Saint Snow
15 July 2022 10:38:10

Originally Posted by: andy-manc 

Quite a miserable cool damp morning. The forecasts have missed a few of these showers recently. Luckily I've learned my lesson and sent my little boy to school with a coat today!

Within an hour of the rain stopping (and it wet all surfaces), the pavements/roads/paths are bone dry Combination of sun and breeze

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
ARTzeman
15 July 2022 11:33:42

Cloudy at times. 21.0c. 1025 hPa.

WSW wind 9 mph. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
idj20
15 July 2022 12:14:57

Bright with lengthy sunny spells and scattered fairweather cumulus.

Making the most of the current sensible 21.5 C (68% H) under a light NE breeze. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
15 July 2022 12:28:42

Here in Edinburgh, the earlier rain has now finally cleared away and there is even some blue sky to my NE although it is still mostly overcast.

The earlier rainfall amounted to a very welcome 7.8 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank (I'm once again relying on the raw SYNOP data from weatherobs.com as the data from SEPA is still not fully up to date) along with 4.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, that is probably all that we will get now before next week's big heat spike at least.

Last night's overnight minimum temperature was 12.8°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 1pm BST (12:00 UTC) this afternoon was around 16°C here in Edinburgh.

For now, it isn't even the least bit warm for this time of the year but then, the Sun is forecast to come out later on today and when it does, I'm sure that it will also warm up a bit as well, as it is forecast to (the Sun has now even started to appear as I write).

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
picturesareme
15 July 2022 12:47:25
26.4C

Another very warm day in the making.
Chelsea
15 July 2022 13:51:56

Completely cloudy here now and just 24c

richardabdn
15 July 2022 15:07:42

Yet another dire day. Cloudy, drizzle, very little sunshine. Beyond depressing.

The only thing this July will be noted for is the only thing that any summer month is noted for these days. Extreme cloudiness.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 15:43:01

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Yet another dire day. Cloudy, drizzle, very little sunshine. Beyond depressing.

The only thing this July will be noted for is the only thing that any summer month is noted for these days. Extreme cloudiness.

Having fun I see Richard as always. Max of 19.3C here. Some sun and quite breezy at times. I think it's going to get a lot warmer here from now on, don't you? But not in Aberdeen of course where it will always be wrist-slittingly dire permacast hell... Enjoy:)

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
johncs2016
15 July 2022 18:54:42

After that wet start, it actually ended up turning into a nice day here in Edinburgh with plenty of decent sunny spells and only small amounts of fair weather cloud.

In addition to that, today also ended up being warmer than yesterday with a maximum temperature of 21.6°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and that is before any of the really hot weather of the next few days has even arrived.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 7pm BST (18:00 UTC) this evening was around 20°C here in Edinburgh.