Bolty
11 August 2022 17:02:46
Weather being a tease today: 29.9°C under gin-clear skies. Lovely jubly!
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Viking3
11 August 2022 18:58:21
After an overnight minimum of 3.7C the maximum here in Aboyne was 29.1C giving a daily range of 25.4C. Extraordinary for any time of the year but especially August.

And a very rare heatwave day with the maximum in Aberdeen (Dyce Airport) reaching higher than inland here at Aboyne (29.7C at Dyce.)
Keith
Aboyne, Aberdeenshire
135m asl
doctormog
11 August 2022 18:59:24

Originally Posted by: Viking3 

After an overnight minimum of 3.7C the maximum here in Aboyne was 29.1C giving a daily range of 25.4C. Extraordinary for any time of the year but especially August.

And a very rare heatwave day with the maximum in Aberdeen (Dyce Airport) reaching higher than inland here at Aboyne (29.7C at Dyce.)

Impressive!

Rob K
11 August 2022 19:10:16
I haven’t seen even a hint of a cloud all day. Very rare to get 100% clear skies these days with all the air traffic, so it must be very dry aloft.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
richardabdn
11 August 2022 19:36:55

29.6C here which was the highest since 17th July 2006 

Outdoor temperature has fallen sharply to 17.9C now but unfortunately can't say the same for indoor which is still 26.2C.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
11 August 2022 21:08:03

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

I haven’t seen even a hint of a cloud all day. Very rare to get 100% clear skies these days with all the air traffic, so it must be very dry aloft.

Nature being what it is, balance was restored here in the central Med with lots of high cloud around.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
White Meadows
11 August 2022 22:11:00

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

According to the Met Office on Twitter, Wiggonholt has reached 33.8.

Heathrow and Coton in the Elms also above 33.

The 4pm reading at Wiggonholt was 33.6 so still a chance of a 34 I suppose.

BBC news:

The highest temperature on Thursday was 34.2C, at Wiggonholt in West Sussex.

Rob K
11 August 2022 22:20:05

Originally Posted by: White Meadows 

BBC news:

The highest temperature on Thursday was 34.2C, at Wiggonholt in West Sussex.

Yes, 34C today, a chance of 35 tomorrow and then peaking at 36 on Saturday. The heat looks like easing off a bit earlier than it did at one stage, when Sunday looked like the hottest day, but Sunday should still hit 34.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
12 August 2022 08:23:02
Quite remarkable looking at the satellite picture of the UK the last few days, of being there. I can’t remember a period of such prolonged completely clear sky for many years (outside spring of course where it seems to happen every April).
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
12 August 2022 09:42:32
We're back in tropical nights territory. Last night, the warmest temperatures were mainly in the south west near-coastal areas with 20C plus being maintained in Cardiff, Newquay, Isle of Portland and on the Isle of Wight at St Catherine's Point (according to Weather Online). The longer nights and low humidity are allowing temperatures to drop lower in most inland spots than would be the case in mid July, but I expect a few more places will go tropical through Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday night - especially urban locations.
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
doctormog
12 August 2022 10:46:59
moomin75
12 August 2022 10:48:48
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?id=6b7dd8be-895f-47e2-8007-c7c87c655920&date=2022-08-14&details 

50mm of rain in a couple of hours would be a bit of a contrast to recent conditions.

I am anticipating a lot of flash flooding next week as the summer comes crashing down around our ears.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
12 August 2022 13:45:17
Was just thinking of Kevin Bradshaw. He used to be a highly valued contributor to this forum, especially with his stats and Manchester Summer Index. He hasn't logged in since January 3rd.

Anybody heard from him?
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
Gavin D
12 August 2022 13:47:13

The Met office has extended the level 3 Heat-Health Alert until 9am Tuesday for all of England

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal#?tab=heatHealth

Joe Bloggs
12 August 2022 13:48:10

Originally Posted by: GezM 

Was just thinking of Kevin Bradshaw. He used to be a highly valued contributor to this forum, especially with his stats and Manchester Summer Index. He hasn't logged in since January 3rd.

Anybody heard from him?

He is still posting on the North West regional thread on NetWeather. I pop in occasionally! 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Ally Pally Snowman
12 August 2022 13:56:41

Anybody heard from him?

Yes loved his posts and stats. Hope he returns. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Ally Pally Snowman
12 August 2022 14:10:11

It's another heatwave that's spreading the love around 90f from the South coast to Yorkshire today.

👍

westv
12 August 2022 14:21:00

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

It's another heatwave that's spreading the love around 90f from the South coast to Yorkshire today.

👍

"Only" 26 here.

At least it will be mild!
Ally Pally Snowman
12 August 2022 14:24:27

Originally Posted by: westv 

"Only" 26 here.

Well it is an easterly.  

Saint Snow
12 August 2022 14:25:48

Anybody heard from him?

A great poster to have, with his superb stats. I don't recall him having a fall-out with anyone, so can't understand hy he's left (although he did have a period of not posting a few years ago, too)

Global Warming is another who's just stopped all contributions, mid-way through the CET comp, without any explanation (which I think is rather bloody out of order).

FrankH has brilliantly taken over the running of the CET comp, but obviously GW has all the previous data, and was great at the graphical presentation aspect of it.

Don't know what's going to happen with this comp going forwards, but it's a big part of TWO for me (and to a lot of others, I know)

As an aside, after dipping into NW on the odd occassion in years past, I don't know why anyone would prefer that to here. I know the MO thread can get a little fractious at times (the mods do a good job), but that other place is just riddled with snideness, unpleasant digs, and acrimony.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan