johncs2016
01 July 2022 05:35:53

White Rabbits!

Today is the start of yet another brand new month, and it's hard to believe that we are now already halfway through the year, and that we have now just entered the second half of 2022 as from today.

That makes me wonder where on Earth, the time has gone to because it only seems like yesterday since we first entered into this year, and since we were all moaning about the so-called "winter" which we were experiencing back then, being a complete non-event.

When we get to the halfway point in this month, we will then be halfway through the summer already, so we were now in what should be high summer and on average, we would normally expect this month to be our warmest month of the year.

In terms of daylight hours, the most amount of daylight which we get in any month during the year occurs in June and from now on, the days will gradually shorten.

This means that if we want this summer as a whole to be sunnier than average (and being sunnier than average of one of the requirements for a decent summer, as well as the fact that it should be warmer and drier than average overall), we really need the largest part of that sunshine to be occurring in the early part of the summer.

However, June 2022 ended up being slightly duller than average here and because of that, we cannot afford this month to be duller than average as well if we want this summer as a whole, to be sunnier than average.

This month could well end up being sunnier than average in the end but for now, it is not looking good at all on that front as today (and indeed, this month) has started off on a dull and overcast note here in Edinburgh.

Yet as per usual, no actual weather which can be termed as "interesting" is actually happening, so this is just typical Edinburgh weather here.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 6am BST (05:00 UTC) this morning was around 12°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Gusty
01 July 2022 07:23:25

A sunny and breezy start after a 6am shower dropped 0.6mm.

17.1c following a dawn low of 10.1c.

Moderate SW'ly breeze.

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

idj20
01 July 2022 11:39:14

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

A sunny and breezy start after a 6am shower dropped 0.6mm.

17.1c following a dawn low of 10.1c.

Moderate SW'ly breeze.

I must have missed that as my rain gauge is showing 0.0 mm (and it did record 3.2 the other night).

Bright with good sunshine where all the bubbly cumulus are bypassing to my north. 18.8 C & 76% H, there is some freshness courtesy of a mod onshore SW breeze but perfect for airing house out with nearly all windows open.

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
01 July 2022 11:59:16

Originally Posted by: idj20 

I must have missed that as my rain gauge is showing 0.0 mm (and it did record 3.2 the other night).

Bright with good sunshine where all the bubbly cumulus are bypassing to my north. 18.8 C & 76% H, there is some freshness courtesy of a mod onshore SW breeze but perfect for airing house out with nearly all windows open.

That can happen, and is known as local variability.

This happens quite often here in Edinburgh (at least, that did happen when we used to actually get such as thing as rainfall here) and there has been occasions in the past when a heavy shower has dumped quite a bit of rain at say, Edinburgh Gogarbank and yet fail to register at all at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh despite those two stations being close to each other and I've also seen that happen the other way around as well.

Here in Edinburgh, I see no sign whatsoever of the showers which were forecast and it's even turning into quite a bright and sunny afternoon here.

There is quite a cool breeze though, and the temperatures are refusing to rise here although the temperature at 12 noon BST (11:00 UTC) was around 17°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
01 July 2022 13:48:17

Cloudy Light Shower Wsw breeze 15mph. 13.1c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
johncs2016
01 July 2022 14:55:50

Finally at long last, I can say that it's absolutely chucking it down with rain here in the NW of Edinburgh as I write.

Looking at the latest radar map, this appears to be only a very small shower but there are some very bright echoes showing up within that, making it very potent indeed and the only thing which is missing is some thunder and lightning.

Given that this is only actually covering a very small area though, what's the betting that hardly anything is recorded from that at the nearest official stations and that has been the main point of my overall frustration on this matter.

Apart from that, it's been bright at times, but only with a total of 1.4 hours of sunshine so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 3pm this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 3pm BST (14:00 UTC) this afternoon was around 18°C here in Edinburgh.

ARTzeman
01 July 2022 15:05:51

Light showers here. Very light ones. Clouds are dar.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Crepuscular Ray
01 July 2022 18:08:24
Yet another day of deluges, the drab summer continues and 17 C was the maximum
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
01 July 2022 18:56:55

Another line of showers has just reached us from the SW, but slowly decaying in the process although there are a few bright echoes to my SW on the latest rain radar map.

As I write, only light rain is failing here in the NW of Edinburgh from that decaying line of showers which is nowhere near as heavy as this afternoon's downpour although this evening's light rainfall is much more widespread than that earlier downpour which only really impacted the north of Edinburgh.

As a result, that earlier downpour resulted in a total of 2.0 mm of rain being recorded at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, but along with nothing at all at Edinburgh Gogarbank and I would be surprised if this evening's light rainfall even registered at any of the local stations as it is barely even wetting the ground as I write (that rain is becoming a little bit heavier though, as I write).

There has been a bit of sunshine in between those showers, especially during the late morning, this afternoon and early evening but as of 7pm BST (18:00 UTC) this evening, a total of just 2.4 hours of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

However, today has ended up being a bit warmer than I expected it to be with a maximum temperature of 20.1°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank so despite the fact that we are in a fairly cool air mass with some disappointing temperatures being recorded in many parts of the UK, we already have our first temperature of this month in the bag of 20°C or above which is very good going, for only the very first day of the month.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 7pm BST (18:00 UTC) this evening was around 19°C here in Edinburgh.

EDIT:

That line of showers resulted in a massive drop in the temperature to around 13°C as at 8pm BST (19:00 UTC) this evening, which is a drop of almost 6°C in just an hour.

From that, a total of 1.2 mm of rain was recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank, but along with nothing at all at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, so fortunes have been reversed with that.

richardabdn
01 July 2022 19:41:51

Poor start to July with very heavy rain currently. 2.8mm has fallen in the past 10 minutes with a peak rate of 43.2mm/hr 

This follows on from 4.0mm earlier so the wettest day since 16th May although it was sunny at lunchtime when it reached 18.4C.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
01 July 2022 19:49:46

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Yet another day of deluges, the drab summer continues and 17 C was the maximum

So far the opposite of last summer. Warmish, sunny and very dry in the South and East, wet and cloudy in the North West. A more zonal summer.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl