• Advanced Member Topic Starter
30 June 2022 13:23:22

Heavy rain. Hail. Thunder and lightning.. Definitely a thunder dtorm

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
idj20
30 June 2022 13:48:40

Rather overcast with an under par 17.0 C but winds are generally light and is easily drying up after last night's 3.2 mm of rain (nowhere enough to revive my parched lawn).

PS: Shouldn't the header read 30th instead of 29th?

Folkestone Harbour. 
johncs2016
30 June 2022 14:20:24

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Rather overcast with an under par 17.0 C but winds are generally light and is easily drying up after last night's 3.2 mm of rain (nowhere enough to revive my parched lawn).

PS: Shouldn't the header read 30th instead of 29th?

Another one of Arty's famous typos I suppose, although I wouldn't want him to be too annoyed by that.

Here in Edinburgh, we haven't had any thunderstorms although there has been a few showers around.

These showers have been fairly heavy, but very short-lived and nowhere near as heavy as what they were during yesterday.

As a result, these are probably not going to add very much to what is a very low rainfall total for here during this month, so there's probably no point in me even looking at that data.

In addition to that though, there has been some occasional sunny intervals and today's sunshine totals are running a little bit better than what they were during yesterday.

Sadly, that hasn't been enough for this month for end up being our sunniest month of this year as there is no longer enough available daylight left for that to even be possible any more.

However, it is still possible even at this very late stage, for this month to end up being sunnier than average here.

For that, we need at least another 4.3 hours of sunshine to be recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank between now and sunset but as at 3pm BST (14:00 UTC) this afternoon, a total of just 1.8 hours of sunshine had been recorded for today so far at that particular station.

We clearly need to be doing a lot better than that if we are to get away with a sunnier than average month in the end, but the skies look quite bright just now and since the Sun is shining as I write, I still wouldn't completely rule that out.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 3pm BST (14:00 UTC) this afternoon was around 19°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tim A
30 June 2022 14:39:08
Periods of cloud and some sunny spells today, dry so far.
Temperature has been hovering around 19c, max just under 20c so about average for end of June.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

doctormog
30 June 2022 15:32:34
19.8⁰C and sunny currently after this morning's rain.
johncs2016
30 June 2022 19:44:59

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

19.8⁰C and sunny currently after this morning's rain.

That probably explains why RichardAbdn has been so quiet recently.

He did say a few days ago though that this month has been the sunniest month of this year so far up your way, and it seems like this month is also ending on a sunny note up there as well.

That hasn't ended up being the case here in Edinburgh and as at 8pm BST (19:00 UTC) this evening, a total of just 3.7 hours of sunshine has been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

This means that with only around an hour and a half to go until sunset as I write, there is now just not quite enough available daylight left for it to be possible for this month to even be sunnier than average overall.

This means that regardless of what happens between now and sunset, this month will now go down as being slightly duller than average overall.

However, there's not been all that much in it and in the end, I will probably put this month down as having around average amounts of sunshine although the end result here is that our wait for our first sunnier than average month since March 2022 (which is still our sunniest month of the year so far) goes on.

Today has been frustrating in many ways and not just because of those sunshine totals.

During this afternoon, there was actually a thunderstorm which missed us to our east which once again, meant that we missed out on yet another chance to get some much needed rainfall.

I could see that thunderstorm to my east, although I couldn't see any of the lightning strikes from that which the radar maps were showing from that.

Here in Edinburgh itself, the weather was just as boring as usual with a lot of cloud around, and only occasional sunny intervals.

However, today's maximum temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank was 19.9°C, but the fact that we just missed out and no more, on getting a temperature of 20°C or above just added to the frustration of the day because that is really the summer equivalent of us coming very close to getting an air frost in winter, only for that to not quite end up happening.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8pm BST (19:00 UTC) this evening was around 17°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Zubzero
30 June 2022 23:33:51

Not often  it gets below 10C in the middle of summer in Cambridge 

Cool ,calm and only 7.8C