Hadley

18.3c to the 24th

2.3c above the 61 to 90 average
1.8c above the 81 to 10 average

Saint Snow
25 July 2022 15:05:26

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I wonder where Art is?  

Hope he's OK; nice guy is Art. He's not logged-in since 21st July. Perhaps on a holiday?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
25 July 2022 17:16:02
Disappointing rise over the weekend considering the high daytime temperatures and windy mild nights.

I think it’s a feature of the CET: its West bias. Warmest weather was in the Far East - Kent and East Anglia.

Likewise today which probably means a low ish CET score.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
25 July 2022 17:47:38

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Disappointing rise over the weekend considering the high daytime temperatures and windy mild nights.

I think it’s a feature of the CET: its West bias. Warmest weather was in the Far East - Kent and East Anglia.

Likewise today which probably means a low ish CET score.

Kent & East Anglia cannot possibly be considered 'Central England' so what happens there is immaterial as regards the CET. And before anyone say it I don't think Stonyhurst should be considered a CET station. I believe that Manchester Ringway (now Manchester Airport) used to be the northern limit and even that was pushing it. But what some people seem to forget is that the 3 stations in themselves aren't intended to be representative of central England as such, rather they form the perimeter of said area and their average is considered to be consistent within that area. 

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
25 July 2022 17:50:33

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Hope he's OK; nice guy is Art. He's not logged-in since 21st July. Perhaps on a holiday?

He isn’t on holiday but his wife has been poorly. Hope they’re both OK. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Ally Pally Snowman
25 July 2022 18:07:17

Yes hopefully Art is OK. A TWO legend!

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
25 July 2022 20:14:47

Originally Posted by: Col 

Kent & East Anglia cannot possibly be considered 'Central England' so what happens there is immaterial as regards the CET. And before anyone say it I don't think Stonyhurst should be considered a CET station. I believe that Manchester Ringway (now Manchester Airport) used to be the northern limit and even that was pushing it. But what some people seem to forget is that the 3 stations in themselves aren't intended to be representative of central England as such, rather they form the perimeter of said area and their average is considered to be consistent within that area. 

Yes I’m perfectly aware Kent and East Anglia are not Central England and that the 3 stations are not meant to be slap bang in the centre of England but thanks for the Geography lesson. 

Simply commenting that days when the warmest weather is in the East of the country are generally cooler than those where it’s in the West. 

The triangle made by the 3 stations contains a lot of land in the West Midlands and Marches and not much in the East Midlands.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Spring Sun Winter Dread
25 July 2022 21:56:59
Strange that a CET on the early to mid 18s for July seems rather unremarkable now when we haven't topped 18C in August since 2003 and that has a historically similar average temperature..
August remains the relative underachiever in CET terms over the last 15 years or so
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
26 July 2022 03:02:51

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Yes I’m perfectly aware Kent and East Anglia are not Central England and that the 3 stations are not meant to be slap bang in the centre of England but thanks for the Geography lesson. 

That's OK, no problem.

Quote:

Simply commenting that days when the warmest weather is in the East of the country are generally cooler than those where it’s in the West. 

The triangle made by the 3 stations contains a lot of land in the West Midlands and Marches and not much in the East Midlands.

And far too much in NW England. I wouldn't go any further north than Stoke. That's where the weather often seems to change and usually for the worse, as the influence of the Irish Sea starts to kick in.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
Jerry P
26 July 2022 07:01:42
I view the CET records as the most valuable tool for measuring temperature changes, rather than extreme weather or an accurate representation of the English climate. The most critical things are that the station sites remain unchanged and uninterrupted by external influences. Changing the sites wouldn’t achieve much, just a different set of readings which of course then would have no historical comparisons.
West Somerset, 103m asl
Saint Snow
26 July 2022 11:18:11

That's OK, no problem.

And far too much in NW England. I wouldn't go any further north than Stoke. That's where the weather often seems to change and usually for the worse, as the influence of the Irish Sea starts to kick in.

I think it's important that part of the north England is included, or you won't have a CET that's anything like representative for several million people, and it would be artificially high.

Let's remember what the CET is: a very long-term record of temporature across three stations dotted around the country. It doesn't seek to give a totally accurate representation of the average temperature across every square mile of the country, but provides a comprison for year-on-year analysis.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
26 July 2022 14:00:03

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I think it's important that part of the north England is included, or you won't have a CET that's anything like representative for several million people, and it would be artificially high.

Let's remember what the CET is: a very long-term record of temporature across three stations dotted around the country. It doesn't seek to give a totally accurate representation of the average temperature across every square mile of the country, but provides a comprison for year-on-year analysis.

That's fair enough but the northern limit was moved from south of Manchester to east of Preston. That's quite a shift. I wonder where they took data from pre-Ringway, in other words pre-airport?

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
LeedsLad123
26 July 2022 16:46:36

One of the CET stations should be Bramham, since summer weather east of the Pennines is usually a bit warmer & drier ;-)

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Bertwhistle
26 July 2022 17:15:22

One of the early rationales for even having a CET was that it was qu: 'remote from the influence of the sea' which itself seems daft given the character of the BIs is their maritime location. Not sure how inland the NW station is. Would be better arguably to do Rothamstead-Pershore- N. Midlands /S. Yorkshire for something a bit more akin to the original aim.

Notwithstanding,  since that is the set-up, this being the longest running series across a significant area, it is worth preserving and whilst I recognise the UK temp is relevant and valuable, CET is the one I pay heed to. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
AlvinMeister
27 July 2022 09:55:25

Originally Posted by: Spring Sun Winter Dread 

2016 was also notable for hitting 34C in mid September
Arguably just as remarkable as this week's 40C being that late in the year

29.9C on 1st October 2011 is another impressive one. 

Tim A
27 July 2022 10:03:28

That's fair enough but the northern limit was moved from south of Manchester to east of Preston. That's quite a shift. I wonder where they took data from pre-Ringway, in other words pre-airport?

Stonyhurst does seem like an odd choice, it is very Irish Sea influenced. 

See a few days this summer, with High Pressure to the South or South West,  fresh westerly wind , temps 16-18c in Stonyhurst,  21-25c East of the Pennines and significantly warmer Manchester southwards too. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Gavin D
27 July 2022 12:19:47

Hadley

18.2c to the 26th

2.2c above the 61 to 90 average
1.6c above the 81 to 10 average

Hungry Tiger
27 July 2022 13:01:39

Originally Posted by: Caz 

He isn’t on holiday but his wife has been poorly. Hope they’re both OK. 

I'll PM him - Send him a complimentary message from us and the forum.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
28 July 2022 06:59:45

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

I'll PM him - Send him a complimentary message from us and the forum.

Thank you.  It’s really not like Art to miss a day, never mind several.  He hasn’t posted on the forum arms thread either.  Something isn’t right. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.