severnside
29 June 2022 09:56:47

54mm of rain up till yesterday 28th , very green here, weeds are thriving, no sign of anything being parched. As the council do not cut the verges often now, they are overgrown, the grass is gone to seed and past its prime so turns yellow giving a impression that its dry, however that is not the case, its just ripening and dying off. Many fields in crop are starting to ripen (or they should be)

Saint Snow
29 June 2022 10:11:51

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Plenty of rain in the Lakes still. Rained most of yesterday and overnight. Still drizzling this morning. We have an EA gauge onsite so will try and get figures

Have you actually moved to Ambleside, Jerry?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
29 June 2022 10:27:05

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Have you actually moved to Ambleside, Jerry?

I've noticed that he has changed his location in his signature, but the part of his profile which shows his location (the bit which everyone sees on the left hand side of each of our posts when viewed on a desktop PC), is still showing that he lives at the foot of Blackford Hill here in Edinburgh.

He can of course, change that by going in the section for editing his profile and then making the necessary changes in the section within that for entering or changing his location and it may well be that he just hasn't got round to that yet.

Meanwhile back on topic, our gardens are finally getting a much needed drink here in Edinburgh and we have just had some heavy and at times, torrential rain (and it is absolutely hammering down with rain here as I write).

This means that if this still doesn't result in any meaningful total being recorded from that at long last at any of the major weather stations in this area, then there has to be something far wrong with the manner in which that data is being collected at those stations.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Ally Pally Snowman
15 July 2022 13:25:20

Just reviving this thread. I've recently been to 3 London parks Greenwich, Hyde and Clapham and they all look incredibly parched now. Probably as bad as 2018.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Heavy Weather 2013
15 July 2022 13:27:02
Really parched down this way Ally. Everything is like dust and straw now.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
Ally Pally Snowman
15 July 2022 13:30:30

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Really parched down this way Ally. Everything is like dust and straw now.

Looks like it could get wetter after the plume but hard to say really. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Hungry Tiger
15 July 2022 13:31:20

Very - I dread to think what it will be like after Monday and Tuesday's scorchers.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

LeedsLad123
15 July 2022 13:38:38

this was Temple Newsam in east Leeds on Wednesday. Pretty yellow now. 

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Rob K
15 July 2022 13:48:27
Iā€™m currently at the local watersports lake. The grass surrounding it has more or less disappeared into dust. We just had a big gust of wind and there was a dust storm billowing across the car park. Looked like something from the Wild West.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." ā€” Jerome K. Jerome
johncs2016
15 July 2022 13:57:49

We had a bit of very welcome and much needed rain here in Edinburgh during this morning but every time it rains here, it always ends up doing so on an odd day here and there before it then becomes bone dry for days on end after that.

Given that we are about to enter a potentially record breaking hot spell, it looks as though that might well happen again this time despite the fact that today is St. Swithin's Day.

That is not going to be enough to even start to make up the overall rainfall deficit and I have to say that the grass here in Edinburgh is looking a bit yellow/brown in places because of all that dry weather.

The only way in which the overall deficit is going to be restored is if we start getting more regular rainfall on a more regular basis instead of just a bit of rain here and there on the odd isolated occasion like what we're seeing just now.

Until that happens, our water scarcity situation is only going to continue to deteriorate, especially with that really hot weather which is being forecast over the next few days.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
15 July 2022 15:10:21

The dreadful July has ensured that the grass is much greener now than it was during the glorious June but not fully recovered as happened following the deluges at the end of July 2013 and July 2018.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
noodle doodle
15 July 2022 17:20:55
My lawn is green enough. Any brown patches are the dead leaves blown off the trees by the 30mph gusts that spoiled most of the nice days here in June.
Retron
15 July 2022 17:39:14

Here's mine - not cut for just under 4 weeks. No rain since the 30th June (and that was only 1mm).

It's the only green(ish) lawn in the area. (Everyone else seems to cut it really short, which is great if you like the colour yellow!)

Leysdown, north Kent
johncs2016
15 July 2022 18:11:47

Originally Posted by: noodle doodle 

My lawn is green enough. Any brown patches are the dead leaves blown off the trees by the 30mph gusts that spoiled most of the nice days here in June.

You are obviously doing a better job than most at keeping your lawn green and I will also assume that you water it on a regular basis which helps in that regard as well.

The reason why I say that is because SEPA has just released its latest water scarcity report just yesterday which can be seen here. On that report, the areas of moderate water scarcity has now been expanded to include Edinburgh and the Lothians, the rest of Fife and other parts of NE Scotland.

This in turn, proves the point which I have been saying all along about just a day's rain here and there followed by days on end of it being completely bone dry are never going to be enough to prevent the overall water scarcity situation from continuing to deteriorate.

This is therefore also showing us what I have been saying all along that in order to reverse that situation, we need to start getting much more regular rainfall on a much more regular basis than what we are getting just now.

You will also see further down on that report that groundwater levels are continuing to drop like a stone, to the point where this is getting really serious now.

fairweather
15 July 2022 18:29:37

I've probably had the lowest rainfall in the whole Country so far this year - just 136mm so far this year and just 10mm in the last 6 weeks. None since the end of June. In fact there were several local heavy showers that completely missed us. The grass is just straw and strewn with the yellow silver birch leaves that have fallen. Didn't cut the lawn in "no mow May" and just one trim since.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Rob K
15 July 2022 18:46:42

Originally Posted by: Retron 

Here's mine - not cut for just under 4 weeks. No rain since the 30th June (and that was only 1mm).

It's the only green(ish) lawn in the area. (Everyone else seems to cut it really short, which is great if you like the colour yellow!)

Mine hasn’t been cut as we have stuff all over it and builders here, so it is just long yellow straw!  I’ll add a photo in a bit, there’s a hole dug for a soakaway so you will be able to see the sand and shingle that passes for soil round here. 

Edit for images:

"Lawn":

https://i.imgur.com/p3IlmXV.jpg

And the grass at the local lake - note dust storm in background:

https://i.imgur.com/BK8dPyB.jpg

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." ā€” Jerome K. Jerome
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
15 July 2022 20:45:45
Blackheath, our local bellwether for drought, is currently like a 5th day wicket in Karachi.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Jiries
15 July 2022 21:02:02

Originally Posted by: Retron 

Is that your old caravan look abandoned at the back?  Seem not driven for years judging from the ivy growing around the base and wheels?

Ulric
16 July 2022 14:49:31
Have just returned from a trip to Ely on the train. Everywhere looks very dry and trees are starting to show signs of heat stress and drought. Locally, even footpaths renowned for being quagmires are dry and dusty.
If someone succeeds in provoking you, realise that your own mind is complicit in the provocation. - Epicetus
Ulric
16 July 2022 15:20:32
Rain so far this year at Baldock

Dep. Max Days of Rain
From Obs. >=
YR MO Total Norm Day Date 0.2 2.0 20.0

22 1 11.7 0.0 4.5 2 8 3 0
22 2 56.9 0.0 12.0 4 12 9 0
22 3 32.1 0.0 12.6 16 9 4 0
22 4 10.2 0.0 4.8 4 4 2 0
22 5 28.2 0.0 9.6 31 13 4 0
22 6 30.9 0.0 13.2 6 10 3 0
22 7 6.9 0.0 4.2 2 2 2 0

176.9 0.0 13.2 Jun 58 27 0

If someone succeeds in provoking you, realise that your own mind is complicit in the provocation. - Epicetus