Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<78910>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sunny coast  
#161 Posted : 18 June 2022 19:09:08(UTC)
sunny coast

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: moomin75 Go to Quoted Post
An absolutely rancid write off of a day here in Witney. Temperature hovering around 13.5c in the rain.
The frankly outrageous GFS from a couple of days ago showing temps of 11-12c were actually not far off.
Never believed it could happen - but today has been a shocking day for June, wet, cold, miserable and resulting in an abandoned cricket match.
Just thoroughly putrid.

Indeed I have been in Gloucester  totally awful 12 degrees wet and gloomy  yet back home eastbourne sunshine and 26 degrees  incredible contrasts today .   Up here tho about as dire as June gets 

Online Tim A  
#162 Posted : 18 June 2022 19:17:10(UTC)
Tim A

Man

Roasting in parts of France today particularly the SW. Biarritz was 43c. Cap Ferret on an exposed pennisular near Bordeaux reached 42c which seems incredible to me, when I have been there it has always been cooler and heavily Atlantic influenced.

Heavy Thunderstorms in Bordeaux this evening and temps dropped 10c in half an hour. 

Tim

NW Leeds

187m asl

Online Gusty  
#163 Posted : 18 June 2022 22:07:08(UTC)
Gusty

Man

An 11am high of 24.6c but at 13.9c now it all feels like a distant memory.

A strange evening with a strong NE'ly wind, upper cloud moving in from the SW, lightning to the NW and despite the very cool feel the 850Hpa's are still close to 15c !

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue

https://www.wunderground...m/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11

Join Kent Weather on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/

Offline Zubzero  
#164 Posted : 18 June 2022 23:21:20(UTC)
Zubzero

Man
Antarctica

It's 7.8C now can not remember such a drop in the space of a day or so.
Offline Rob K  
#165 Posted : 22 June 2022 15:18:06(UTC)
Rob K

This second mini hot spell seems to have cropped up out of nowhere, as it was originally looking fairly cool and unsettled after the weekend.

26.6C the max yesterday (Leconfield) and looks like around 28C today (27.9C at Heathrow the reported max so far).

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Offline doctormog  
#166 Posted : 22 June 2022 15:21:26(UTC)
doctormog

It reached a very respectable 25°C here today.
Offline Rob K  
#167 Posted : 22 June 2022 21:10:02(UTC)
Rob K

Leconfield pipped Heathrow to the top spot once again today, 28.0C so 0.1C higher than Heathrow. That's two days on the trot, not a station I have seen take the top summer temp before.

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Offline picturesareme  
#168 Posted : 22 June 2022 21:17:18(UTC)
picturesareme

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post
Leconfield pipped Heathrow to the top spot once again today, 28.0C so 0.1C higher than Heathrow. That's two days on the trot, not a station I have seen take the top summer temp before.

Is that official? We hit 28C down here today with even Thorney having had an hourly temp of 27C, and that's a station kind of outside of any built up areas. Gosport is a station that the met office don't typically release info on until the end of the day, and it is normally hotter - occasionally a UK hotspot. What about Hurn? Gosport station being stuck on the northeast coast out in Portsmouth harbour almost doesn't tend to fair well in easterly winds because of the immediate proximity to the water.

Online Tim A  
#169 Posted : 22 June 2022 22:23:31(UTC)
Tim A

Man

Leconfield is definitely official, with a westerly breeze like today it is well sheltered from the maritime influence.
At one time this afternoon whilst it was 28c there, it was only 18c under clear skies at Stonyhurst near Blackburn , with the sea breeze extending well inland. Sharp temp gradient west to east . Reached 23c here at 12.30 then didn't climb any further for the same reason. A strange day.

Edited by user 22 June 2022 22:25:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim

NW Leeds

187m asl

Offline GezM  
#170 Posted : 23 June 2022 09:51:41(UTC)
GezM

Man
United Kingdom

All eyes on the north of England for today's heat. Cloud and rain has already pushed into southern parts and will obviously suppress temperatures down here. As well as the prolonged sunshine further north, the upper air temperatures are high all the way up the east of the UK today. This includes the Fife, Angus area of Scotland where there is a tongue of 12C 850HPa air. 

It will be interesting to see if parts of Eastern Scotland enjoy the heat at the surface too. 

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)

Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)

Online Tim A  
#171 Posted : 23 June 2022 09:55:17(UTC)
Tim A

Man

Possibly somewhere like Leeming could have the official UK high today at about 28c.
Leeds Weather Centre/Linton-on ooze and Church Fenton would have been candidates if they were still operational.

Cloud is marching NW though, seems to be about at the Wash down to Severn Estuary at the moment. 

Edited by user 23 June 2022 09:56:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim

NW Leeds

187m asl

Offline TimS  
#172 Posted : 23 June 2022 10:58:18(UTC)
TimS

In the far SE where it’s cleared the temperatures are quite handy too. Currently 24.3C in Pett Bottom.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Offline Jiries  
#173 Posted : 23 June 2022 12:01:15(UTC)
Jiries

Man

Originally Posted by: Tim A Go to Quoted Post

Possibly somewhere like Leeming could have the official UK high today at about 28c.
Leeds Weather Centre/Linton-on ooze and Church Fenton would have been candidates if they were still operational.

Cloud is marching NW though, seems to be about at the Wash down to Severn Estuary at the moment. 

Make me wonder why they remove interesting weather stations that give actual high temperatures? York was 29C last week and that far north to get the heat but knowing that York does well in heatwaves from my time in 1985 to 1990 school days in Boston Spa, I used to see York goes to 30-31C during school terms every year,.  

Went up to 28.5C this late morning before unexpected overcast skies come up to ruin it.  Thought you expect some clouds forming but not full on overcast thin clouds.

Talking about closing interesting weather stations but keeping open other stations in areas that give mild nights mainly to keep CET above average false readings so they closed stations that give cooler nights like Redhill, Benson, etc.

Online Tim A  
#174 Posted : 23 June 2022 14:03:44(UTC)
Tim A

Man

Reached 27.1c here, so joint highest of the year so far, sunny spells as we speak but there is lots of cloud so unsure whether it will go higher.

Tim

NW Leeds

187m asl

Offline Rob K  
#175 Posted : 23 June 2022 14:34:23(UTC)
Rob K

Originally Posted by: Jiries Go to Quoted Post

Talking about closing interesting weather stations but keeping open other stations in areas that give mild nights mainly to keep CET above average false readings so they closed stations that give cooler nights like Redhill, Benson, etc.

Redhill has gone but Benson is still an official station for now! Rickmansworth was another classic frost-hollow station that has been consigned to the history books.

As for today's temperatures, Hawarden looks like the leader with a 27.6C hourly reading at 3pm.

Offline Jiries  
#176 Posted : 23 June 2022 14:57:55(UTC)
Jiries

Man

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post

Redhill has gone but Benson is still an official station for now! Rickmansworth was another classic frost-hollow station that has been consigned to the history books.

As for today's temperatures, Hawarden looks like the leader with a 27.6C hourly reading at 3pm.

Rickmansworth used to be the hottest every time during 1995 summer I remember so they decided to shut down because of that.   If those nasty clouds did not come up some where would hit 30C today, here would had been was 28.5C at 11.30am with over 4 hours to go for hottest time.

Offline GezM  
#177 Posted : 23 June 2022 15:23:16(UTC)
GezM

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Jiries Go to Quoted Post

Make me wonder why they remove interesting weather stations that give actual high temperatures? York was 29C last week and that far north to get the heat but knowing that York does well in heatwaves from my time in 1985 to 1990 school days in Boston Spa, I used to see York goes to 30-31C during school terms every year,.  

Went up to 28.5C this late morning before unexpected overcast skies come up to ruin it.  Thought you expect some clouds forming but not full on overcast thin clouds.

Also, urban areas are where most people actually live so surely it is more representative of what most people are experiencing. I know that operationally rural or airport sites are easier to maintain because there is less risk of external impacts affecting the readings (roads, buildings etc.) which means that the records are more homogeneous. And then you get the heat island argument but I'd certainly prefer to see a Leeds City Centre weather station than use the one a few hundred feet higher at Leeds/Bradford Airport ....

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)

Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)

Offline Crepuscular Ray  
#178 Posted : 23 June 2022 16:01:28(UTC)
Crepuscular Ray

Man
United Kingdom

25 C here in Ambleside today with strong sun all day again. Increasingly humid though late afternoon
Jerry

Brathay Hall, Clappersgate, Ambleside, Lake District.

Online Bolty  
#179 Posted : 23 June 2022 16:28:58(UTC)
Bolty

Man

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray Go to Quoted Post
25 C here in Ambleside today with strong sun all day again. Increasingly humid though late afternoon

Similar to here. It peaked at 26.7°C for me, before turning cloudier and increasingly humid. Some showers are skirting around now too, but they seem to have missed me.

Scott

Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.

My weather station

Offline Rob K  
#180 Posted : 23 June 2022 20:45:19(UTC)
Rob K

Hawarden 28.2C looks like the hottest.

A late surge from Heathrow, with the highest hourly figure being at 5pm today but it could only reach 26.7C.