• Advanced Member
08 June 2022 06:53:10

Bright with brisk WSW breeze 14C.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
johncs2016
08 June 2022 07:09:37

A dull and damp start to today here in Edinburgh with light to moderate rain.

However, this part of the world is very parched just now and so, this rainfall is very welcome and badly needed (as at 6am BST this morning, there was still no recorded rainfall at all during this entire month at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh, and we are now about a quarter of the way through this month).

Meanwhile, the temperature at 8am BST (07:00 UTC) this morning was around 10°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
ARTzeman
08 June 2022 08:32:48

Showers and sunshine.

16.5c. Humidity 74% RH

1005 hPa. Westerly breeze 14 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
idj20
08 June 2022 09:27:47

After a damp, murky and overcast start to this morning (but only 0.6 mm of rain fell overnight - much less than modelled), the sun has broken through and winds has veered to as light W breeze.

Still rather below par temp at 16 C but it's the 96% H that is making it feel muggy now that the sun is out. Good lawn growing conditions, that's for sure. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
picturesareme
08 June 2022 13:39:36
Some torrential rain in these past couple of showers with rain rates over 100mm p/HR. I'm surprised that there has been no thunder or hail.

Outside of the showers it's been fairly pleseant with temperatures around 20C.

15C/16C in downpours.
johncs2016
08 June 2022 14:45:08

Here in Edinburgh, it has now stopped raining for now but it is still dull and misty with a lot of easterly muck coming in from off the North Sea.

The rainfall data from SEPA only goes up to 11am this morning as I write, but the raw SYNOP data now contains the hourly rainfall totals which we used to only be able to obtain from the old and now defunct weathercast site.

According to that data, a total of 5.2 mm of rain has fallen at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh from the main frontal system, along with at least 3.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Furthermore, we are on the northern edge of a yellow warning for thunderstorms here in Edinburgh, and there is a cluster of storms to my SSW according to the latest radar maps with some very intense echoes and also with a few lightning strikes being reported.

This suggests that although we might not actually get those storms here, there could at the very least still be some more rain to come during the course of this afternoon and evening.

Having said that though, the temperatures have been refusing to rise during today, and have been no higher than a really dismal 12°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
08 June 2022 16:58:59

Very heavy and at times, torrential rain is now falling here in Edinburgh at the end of what has been a complete write-off of a day here.

There was a very brief brighter spell during this afternoon which raised the temperature to around 13°C, but that is still really abysmal for this time of the year and I have seen many days even in the middle of winter which have been warmer than today as a result.

As at 5pm this afternoon, the temperature here in Edinburgh was around 12°C.

richardabdn
08 June 2022 17:27:03

The first bad day this month and it was a stinker.

Everything I hate the most. Featureless grey skies, easterly wind and a pitiful diurnal range unbefitting of anything bar the grimmest days of winter. Min of 9.4C and max of just 11.5C  Only three days in May were colder and two days over the hideously unseasonable Christmas and New Year period were warmer and sunnier 

Worst of all there was no meaningful rain just pointless and worthless nusiance value drizzle that served no purpose whatsoever. 0.2mm 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November