johncs2016
01 June 2022 06:57:02

Since we have just entered a brand new season which is the summer of 2022, I thought that I might as well get this thread underway.

There is another thread on here where the prospects for this summer are being discussed and in that thread, I am seeing a lot of discussion about the possibility of this being a poor summer overall due to northern blocking and if that ends up happening, this thread will no doubt be very busy as a result and of course, I will also be expecting the usual rants on here from Richardabdn which are very often, a joy to read.

However this summer pans out though, this is the very place for those rants but if you are happy about how this summer is going and want to boast about that, this is also the place for that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 June 2022 19:53:13
I am in St Andrews this week and judging by the forecasts last week expected it to be pretty dire, but it hasn't turned out like that at all. Some rain Sunday/Monday but sunny yesterday afternoon and today has been glorious. There seems to have been convection/showers inland, could certainly see the cloud building up but coastal areas remained largely cloud free. A few days ago I coudn't have imagined I'd be sunning myself on the beach today!
Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
03 June 2022 07:16:25

Not looking great if this is the best we can expect. From BBC weather for Dorset.

Sunday is expected to be a cloudy day with showers moving in at times from the south, and drier intervals in between. Showers may be thundery in places. Monday will be a drier and brighter day with sunny spells, but a few light showers will develop in the afternoon. A similar day on Tuesday with sunny spells, patchy cloud and a few scattered afternoon showers. Trending milder.

Not hotter or even warmer just milder. 

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
moomin75
03 June 2022 07:36:20

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Not looking great if this is the best we can expect. From BBC weather for Dorset.

Sunday is expected to be a cloudy day with showers moving in at times from the south, and drier intervals in between. Showers may be thundery in places. Monday will be a drier and brighter day with sunny spells, but a few light showers will develop in the afternoon. A similar day on Tuesday with sunny spells, patchy cloud and a few scattered afternoon showers. Trending milder.

Not hotter or even warmer just milder. 

Yes pretty poor fayre for early summer and by the looks of the pattern ECM is setting up, we are heading towards a really cool and very unsettled first half of June at least.

Looks pretty horrendous to be honest - and typical of this God-forsaken country.

I am anticipating a write off summer (again)!

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
03 June 2022 08:12:02

Originally Posted by: moomin75 

Yes pretty poor fayre for early summer and by the looks of the pattern ECM is setting up, we are heading towards a really cool and very unsettled first half of June at least.

Looks pretty horrendous to be honest - and typical of this God-forsaken country.

Go on Moomin write it off.  Actually it hasn't been all that bad here but it's a struggle to reach the magic 21C this year.

Having worked in the tropics they're not all they're cracked up to be either. Heat, Humidity, Pestilence you name it, I even had malaria. There were many times I dreamt of the fresher days in the UK. Fine if you like sitting on a beach but then the sandflies can make life hell and risk bringing back boils that take forever to go. And don't even think of the snakes on a tropical isle....

Perhaps that's why Dorset is Gods Country?

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Ally Pally Snowman
03 June 2022 08:29:28

Plenty of time for a decent summer yet its 3rd June😋.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
johncs2016
03 June 2022 09:43:53

Here in Edinburgh, the temperatures are already refusing to rise and the temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 10am this morning was still stuck at around 10°C.

In fact, it actually feels quite chilly out there just now to such an extent that I have had to put a jumper on when I am out and about, which is not something which I would expect to be having to do in what is supposed to be our "summer".

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
doctormog
03 June 2022 09:53:27
As this thread is also for gloating I will add that I am sitting in the sunshine in the garden enjoying the birdsong. It is not especially warm but pleasant enough T-shirt weather. Blue skies and light winds will do me just fine.
Crepuscular Ray
03 June 2022 11:40:28
I've gone from cold foggy Edinburgh to the very wet Lakes! 🤔

I've yet to see a 'summery' day. Had 18 C here yesterday but cloudy!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
03 June 2022 12:00:35

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I've gone from cold foggy Edinburgh to the very wet Lakes! 🤔

I've yet to see a 'summery' day. Had 18 C here yesterday but cloudy!

When you lived in the south of Edinburgh, you were often the first person to report any thunderstorms within the vicinity of this area before I was able to spot them myself.

On that note, it's nice to see that you have had a thunderstorm in the Lakes already just recently and so, you have at least had some interesting weather to report recently which is more than what I can see about here in Edinburgh which hardly ever gets any "interesting" weather any more.

noodle doodle
03 June 2022 13:00:44
It was colder at noon (10c) than it was at midnight (12c) here in Edinburgh. Fantastic stuff.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gcvwp0hdt 
johncs2016
03 June 2022 13:38:42

Originally Posted by: noodle doodle 

It was colder at noon (10c) than it was at midnight (12c) here in Edinburgh. Fantastic stuff.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gcvwp0hdt

I think that this just tells you how boring and uninteresting, our weather here in Edinburgh really is.

The Sun has finally broken through as I write, but the temperature remains abysmally cold for this time of year as this so-called "summer" continues to go down the toilet pan almost as soon as it has started.

Indeed, there has been a number of days even in the middle of winter which have been warmer than what today has been up until now.

Hungry Tiger
05 June 2022 13:57:53

Dire today - Overcast drizzly and cold with a temperature of just 13C.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Bolty
05 June 2022 14:01:45

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Dire today - Overcast drizzly and cold with a temperature of just 13C.

12C here, with cloud and drizzle. Definitely a very poor day for early summer.

At least we've had 3 out of 4 useable days here for the long weekend. I can't complain too much at that, as it's certainly nothing compared to the weather for the Diamond Jubilee weekend in 2012.

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
snow 2004
05 June 2022 19:21:06
Shocking start to Sunday here. Was woken up by strong winds and rain battering the window.

Temp until early afternoon was just 9.5C. Managed to creep up to 10.8C during a brief dry spell before dropping back.

The wind has died back but it’s still dull and drizzly.
Glossop Derbyshire, 200m asl
moomin75
05 June 2022 19:32:47
A frankly abysmal early "summers" day today.
Temperature did not get above 12c (3.5c lower than New Years Day, and the outlook is looking incredibly grim.
We are overdue a really poor summer, and I fear this will be the one.
Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
severnside
05 June 2022 20:11:35
What a dismal cold day today, max 12c, drizzle and rain with mist hanging about in the woods and upon the hills all day. Looking back through my weather records from 1987 for the 5th of June, the only cold day that matched it was from 2012, and that year had a rotten June. (well and Summer) Hopefully that's where the similarity ends. Looking forward to a better day tomorrow according to the forecasts.
richardabdn
05 June 2022 20:15:26

Brilliant Jubilee Holiday weekend here at least as far as sunshine goes. Each one of the past four days managed at least 12 hours of sunshine which is only one fewer than the entirety of the awful spring which had the fewest number of such days since 2010.

65 hours of sun for the month already 

Temperatures haven't been great though - only average - and this spell is reminding me of the start of June 2016 which descended into abject horror after the first week with 6 weeks of solid permacast hell which helped to make 2016 the worst summer between 2013 and 2019.

Yet to see 20C this year which is late again. Was up at Lossiemouth yesterday where it reached 21.1C which is one of the warmest temperatures in Scotland this year. Often parts of the Highlands have approached the mid 20s by now but don't think it's reached 22C anywhere yet 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Jiries
05 June 2022 20:18:48

A frankly abysmal early "summers" day today.
Temperature did not get above 12c (3.5c lower than New Years Day, and the outlook is looking incredibly grim.
We are overdue a really poor summer, and I fear this will be the one.

I never understand why northern blocking always give us cold and wet weather for weeks or months because if HP zone move north and get warmer there then us we should be under the Med climate by then with heat lows, 30s days and sunny days, not other way around.  

snow 2004
06 June 2022 00:01:19

Originally Posted by: severnside 

What a dismal cold day today, max 12c, drizzle and rain with mist hanging about in the woods and upon the hills all day. Looking back through my weather records from 1987 for the 5th of June, the only cold day that matched it was from 2012, and that year had a rotten June. (well and Summer) Hopefully that's where the similarity ends. Looking forward to a better day tomorrow according to the forecasts.

Ahh yes 5th of June 2012 was even colder here with temps of just 6 degrees in the afternoon and heavy rain! I’m not getting a good feeling for this summer.

I also reckon we’re going to get a couple of those ridiculous short sharp hot interludes where it ges to 36 degrees only to be followed by weeks of rotten weather. 

Glossop Derbyshire, 200m asl