Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<678
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DEW  
#141 Posted : 08 August 2022 07:56:05(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: doctormog Go to Quoted Post

The west of Scotland perhaps as much of the east is at some stage of “water scarcity”. https://www.sepa.org.uk/media/594320/5-august-water-scarcity-report.pdf 

We have just about had enough rain here to keep things growing although the garden plants and grass could do with a bit more and that’s not happening in the coming days. Generally though it is looking warm, dry and mostly sunny for the coming week so no complaints.

'Moderate scarcity' shown  on the linked map for much of the east of Scotland doesn't even begin to describe what we are experiencing down here; and the significantly higher temps have completed the disaster.

"The sky was an exquisitely deep blue just then, with filmy white clouds drawn up over it like gauze"
Online doctormog  
#142 Posted : 08 August 2022 08:33:51(UTC)
doctormog

Nor did I suggest otherwise, just that you can't pinch our water. 

Offline Crepuscular Ray  
#143 Posted : 08 August 2022 08:51:25(UTC)
Crepuscular Ray

Man
United Kingdom

An interesting map Doc. Thank you!
Jerry
Clappersgate, Ambleside, Lake District.
Offline Crepuscular Ray  
#144 Posted : 08 August 2022 09:00:05(UTC)
Crepuscular Ray

Man
United Kingdom

For me, the worst aspect of this summer has been the lack of sunshine! Even if it's only 16 C at this time of year the sun feels strong and it's comfortable.
We've had day after day of gloom with the cloud level down to 300m and max temperatures around 16 to 19 C which is about normal for here I hear you say. Unless we share in this next heatwave I think summer 2022 will go down as 'around average' in Cumbria, possibly slightly duller.
I'm banking on this next High to build further north and give us an easterly flow.
Jerry
Clappersgate, Ambleside, Lake District.
Offline johncs2016  
#145 Posted : 08 August 2022 11:01:18(UTC)
johncs2016

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: doctormog Go to Quoted Post

The west of Scotland perhaps as much of the east is at some stage of “water scarcity”. https://www.sepa.org.uk/media/594320/5-august-water-scarcity-report.pdf 

We have just about had enough rain here to keep things growing although the garden plants and grass could do with a bit more and that’s not happening in the coming days. Generally though it is looking warm, dry and mostly sunny for the coming week so no complaints.

According to that report, the water scarcity status in parts of Fife (which is only on the other side of the Firth of Forth from where I am here in Edinburgh) has now been upgraded from moderate scarcity to significant scarcity which is actually as high as you can go on that scale.

This is quite a good indicator of how the overall situation with that is continuing to deteriorate and now, it is only really the NW of Scotland which is still at normal status according to that report.

The NW of Scotland has at least had the benefit of frequent Atlantic weather systems brushing up against there but for the rest of us, we really could do with getting some rain.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Offline johncs2016  
#146 Posted : 08 August 2022 11:09:21(UTC)
johncs2016

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray Go to Quoted Post
For me, the worst aspect of this summer has been the lack of sunshine! Even if it's only 16 C at this time of year the sun feels strong and it's comfortable.
We've had day after day of gloom with the cloud level down to 300m and max temperatures around 16 to 19 C which is about normal for here I hear you say. Unless we share in this next heatwave I think summer 2022 will go down as 'around average' in Cumbria, possibly slightly duller.
I'm banking on this next High to build further north and give us an easterly flow.

If that happens, it would stop the frequent incursions of Atlantic weather systems into NW Scotland which could actually end up getting some of the best weather as a result.

At the same time, it might also raise possible hopes that the south of England in particular, might see some thundery stuff moving up from the continent.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.